    downloaded the driver updates that messed everything up?
    Thanks in advance for any advice.

    JCRitchie
    John Ritchie, Jun 22, 2007

  2. John Ritchie

    Robert Baer Guest

    John Ritchie wrote:
    > I have an old Bluelight computer, Windows 98se, 633 mg processor,
    > enough memory. It was working fine untill
    > I downloaded and installed a bunch of driver updates from a website
    > connected with PC Pitstop. Now it just gets to the desktop in safe mode
    > and program windows I don't want keep popping up.
    > Isn't there a way to get my computer back to where it was before I
    > downloaded the driver updates that messed everything up?
    > Thanks in advance for any advice.
    >
    > JCRitchie

    One sure way is to wipe the HD and start from scratch.
    That is because you did not BACKUP.
    Robert Baer, Jun 22, 2007

  3. Yea if you want to use the nuclear option go for the reinstall. If you
    remember what drivers you changed and want to attempt a fix without
    losing your data do the following. Go into system via the control panel,
    click on hardware and then device manager. Go to the problem drivers and
    then go to properties. Go to the driver tab and then update driver. You
    will be asked what to do. Choose display a list in a specific location,
    you would want to use the driver CD or floppy disk that you have for
    your hardware. This might even ask you for the Windows 98 disk so make
    sure you have that handy. If not I hope you have another disk with the
    drivers on it. Once complete simply reboot.

    Capt. Barbossa, Jun 22, 2007
  4. John Ritchie

    Ernie Werbel Guest

    "John Ritchie" <> wrote in message
    > I have an old Bluelight computer, Windows 98se, 633 mg processor,
    > enough memory. It was working fine untill
    > I downloaded and installed a bunch of driver updates from a website
    > connected with PC Pitstop. Now it just gets to the desktop in safe mode
    > and program windows I don't want keep popping up.
    > Isn't there a way to get my computer back to where it was before I
    > downloaded the driver updates that messed everything up?
    > Thanks in advance for any advice.
    >
    > JCRitchie

    I don't remember offhand if Win98se has System Restore, but if you have it,
    try going back to a restore point before you installed the updates. It
    should be in Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System
    Restore
    Hope this helps.
    Ernie
    Ernie Werbel, Jun 23, 2007
  5. John Ritchie

    olfart Guest

    "Ernie Werbel" <> wrote in message news:jmefi.427$RZ1.127@trnddc05...

    > "John Ritchie" <> wrote in message
    >> I have an old Bluelight computer, Windows 98se, 633 mg processor,
    >> enough memory. It was working fine untill
    >> I downloaded and installed a bunch of driver updates from a website
    >> connected with PC Pitstop. Now it just gets to the desktop in safe mode
    >> and program windows I don't want keep popping up.
    >> Isn't there a way to get my computer back to where it was before I
    >> downloaded the driver updates that messed everything up?
    >> Thanks in advance for any advice.
    >>
    >> JCRitchie
    >>

    > I don't remember offhand if Win98se has System Restore, but if you have
    > it, try going back to a restore point before you installed the updates.
    > It should be in Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System
    > Restore
    > Hope this helps.
    > Ernie

    No it doesn't
    olfart, Jun 23, 2007
  6. John Ritchie

    - Bobb - Guest

    > I have an old Bluelight computer, Windows 98se, 633 mg processor,
    > enough memory. It was working fine untill
    > I downloaded and installed a bunch of driver updates from a website
    > connected with PC Pitstop. Now it just gets to the desktop in safe mode
    > and program windows I don't want keep popping up.
    > Isn't there a way to get my computer back to where it was before I
    > downloaded the driver updates that messed everything up?
    > Thanks in advance for any advice.
    >
    > JCRitchie

    If you can't restore/ have a good backup etc. then try to clean up all of
    the spyware.
    search google for ... whatever the name was ... that you downloaded to see
    if known issues/fixes.

    Obviously you got spyware with the drivers.
    Download "ad-aware" and "spybots" and "CCleaner" from download.com.
    Then disable your network ( so the app doesn't download more)
    Run ad-aware - reboot - run spybots - reboot.
    Hopefully that will catch all ( most) of the spyware.
    Still pop-ups ?
    Then run CCleaner, but be careful what you do with that. It's a good
    program but check the options before running it. There is help at
    download.com for it.

    Bobb

    As for " isn;t there a way..." I think you're thinking of " ' PC doesn't
    boot' - use F8 and then 'last known good' configuration." If you booted
    several times since original 'problem' occurred then you've overwritten
    that info. As far as the system is concerned, they have been successful
    boots - although loaded with spyware.
    - Bobb -, Jun 24, 2007