    Regards,
    David

    Please reply to News Group

    David, Nov 26, 2006

  2. David

    Baron Guest

    David wrote:

    > Wonder what you do with your existing computer when you get a new one.
    > Had my XP one nearly 2 years now and my old 98se one which will
    > possibly be up to 10 years old is just sitting around doing next to
    > nothing. Would there be people around who would make use of these type
    > of computers, ie slow no DVD etc.
    > Is there a s/h value, ie can they be sold?
    > Are they a give away?
    > Is the place to go the skip?

    Turn it into a firewall/router !

    --
    Baron:

    Baron, Nov 26, 2006

  3. David

    - Bobb - Guest

    ask around your area
    I found that the senior centers even like the old ones - to play games

    - Bobb -, Nov 26, 2006
  4. David wrote:
    > Wonder what you do with your existing computer when you get a new one.
    > Had my XP one nearly 2 years now and my old 98se one which will possibly be
    > up to 10 years old is just sitting around doing next to nothing.
    > Would there be people around who would make use of these type of computers,
    > ie slow no DVD etc.
    > Is there a s/h value, ie can they be sold?
    > Are they a give away?
    > Is the place to go the skip?

    There would be little or no resale value.

    It should work fine as is as a homework machine for a student.

    If you were so inclined you could put Linux on it and use it as a web
    server.

    Julian

    Julian Treadwell, Nov 27, 2006
  5. David

    ChristyLynn Guest

    Call elementary schools around you, your Dept. on Aging/Senior centers,
    Goodwill store, resale shops, homeless shelter (hey, they might want to use
    a computer too). If it works to any degree, I'm sure you can find someone
    to donate it to.

    ChristyLynn, Nov 27, 2006
  6. David

    ChristyLynn Guest

    You could always put it up on the bulletin board in your local grocery
    store/mall/library as a give-away computer.

    ChristyLynn, Nov 27, 2006
  7. David

    Grappletech Guest

    "ChristyLynn" <> wrote in news:1%sah.6365$ya1.4959
    @news02.roc.ny:

    > You could always put it up on the bulletin board in your local grocery
    > store/mall/library as a give-away computer.

    Try your local Craigslist or Freecycle yahoo group to give it away. Also,
    besides listing stuff to get rid of, you can also receive stuff. I've
    received tons of cool stuff, so occasionally, I put stuff up for free that
    normally I would sell.

    Grappletech, Nov 27, 2006
  8. David

    Grappletech Guest

    "ChristyLynn" <> wrote in

    > Call elementary schools around you, your Dept. on Aging/Senior
    > centers, Goodwill store, resale shops, homeless shelter (hey, they
    > might want to use a computer too). If it works to any degree, I'm
    > sure you can find someone to donate it to.

    Put a Solitaire desktop shortcut (along with the other games)on it and give
    it to a nursing home. 2 years ago, I offered a low income family a nice
    Gateway 800mhz PC, monitor, etc. for free (sort of obsolete, even then, but
    still very useful for internet/homework/games/word processing--resumes,
    cover letters, etc.). They had wanted a PC but had no money after
    rent/groceries, so I offered the Gateway PC. The mother said; "sorry my
    kids don't want it; they want one of them new Dell computers they're
    adertising for $500. We'll save up for one." Well, 2 years later, they
    still have no computer. There are the technology haves and the technology
    have nots and the just plain dumb who continue to do without technology
    because they think they need the latest and greatest, Any PC is better
    than NO PC. Hell, an enterprising kid could slap a C++ compiler on an
    800mhz machine and learn programming.

    Grappletech, Nov 27, 2006
  9. David

    Robert Baer Guest

    David wrote:

    > Wonder what you do with your existing computer when you get a new one.
    > Had my XP one nearly 2 years now and my old 98se one which will possibly be
    > up to 10 years old is just sitting around doing next to nothing.
    > Would there be people around who would make use of these type of computers,
    > ie slow no DVD etc.
    > Is there a s/h value, ie can they be sold?
    > Are they a give away?
    > Is the place to go the skip?

    Contact Diskette Dumpster at
    They even take 386's and use them to support needy schools.

    Robert Baer, Nov 27, 2006
  10. David

    David Guest

    "Grappletech" <> wrote in message
    ..

    > Try your local Craigslist or Freecycle yahoo group to give it away. Also,
    > besides listing stuff to get rid of, you can also receive stuff. I've
    > received tons of cool stuff, so occasionally, I put stuff up for free that
    > normally I would sell.

    I'm a member of 3 local Freecycle groups and they are good places, I can
    recomend anyone to join thiers.

    --
    Regards,
    David

    Please reply to News Group

    David, Nov 27, 2006
  11. David

    tony sayer Guest

    In article <Xns988814C95E475nooneyodoorbiz@38.119.71.210>, Grappletech
    <> writes
    >"ChristyLynn" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Call elementary schools around you, your Dept. on Aging/Senior
    >> centers, Goodwill store, resale shops, homeless shelter (hey, they
    >> might want to use a computer too). If it works to any degree, I'm
    >> sure you can find someone to donate it to.
    >>

    >Put a Solitaire desktop shortcut (along with the other games)on it and give
    >it to a nursing home. 2 years ago, I offered a low income family a nice
    >Gateway 800mhz PC, monitor, etc. for free (sort of obsolete, even then, but
    >still very useful for internet/homework/games/word processing--resumes,
    >cover letters, etc.).

    Yes they are still very useful for around 95% of PC uses:))

    --
    Tony Sayer

    tony sayer, Nov 27, 2006