    you a few dollars for them.
    Lindsay Rollo
    Wellington, New Zealand

    lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz, Apr 28, 2007

  2. lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz

    ~misfit~ Guest

    lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz wrote:
    > In the recent exchange about selling or giving away old computers
    > Allistar said he was going to send a quantity of j'jug' cords to the
    > tip.
    >
    > A better home for these is to give them to any scrap metal
    > dealer. They burn off the plastic and recover the copper, in a
    > controlled environment.

    I have a problem with this. I've seen at least one scrap dealers "controlled
    environment". It was belching black smoke out the chimney. There's not
    enough money in scrap for each scrap dealer to have a state-of-the-art
    method of cleanly burning off the plastic. Did you see my pic of a drawer
    full of these cords?

    (I'm on the verge of reporting my neighbour for burning plastic with his
    rubbish in a 44 gallon drum each week. If I have washing out I have to
    re-wash it and, if the wind is blowing the way it normally does I often get
    headaches. Not to mention the effect on the environment/atmosphere. It's an
    Islander family, not open to suggestions about how to do things. I thought
    when weekly kerbside recycling started here last year that maybe they'd stop
    burning plastic. Not so. I might try talking to them before calling I take
    the step of calling the fire brigade. Trouble is, if I do that, and they
    ignore me, they'll know who calls the fire brigade and council. I don't want
    to be a target.)

    > If you have a large enough collection of cords they may even pay
    > you a few dollars for them.
    > Lindsay Rollo
    > Wellington, New Zealand

    I could use a few dollars but finding a scrap dealer who is actually going
    to burn off the insulation in an evironmentally-friendly way (if such a
    process actually exists) would probably cost me more than the few dollars.

    Have you seen "An Inconvenient Truth" yet? Shame about the little faux-pas
    about Pacific islanders and NZ in the movie, it could ruin the message for a
    lot of NZers.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Apr 28, 2007

  3. lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in

    > Trouble is, if I do that, and they
    > ignore me, they'll know who calls the fire brigade and council. I
    > don't want to be a target.)

    The FD or council probably has some advice on how to approach this
    politely. I bet they have a pamphlet or something they cam mail out to
    them. You don't even have to go to the mail box.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Apr 28, 2007
  4. lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Dave Taylor wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in
    >
    > > Trouble is, if I do that, and they
    > > ignore me, they'll know who calls the fire brigade and council. I
    > > don't want to be a target.)
    > >

    > The FD or council probably has some advice on how to approach this
    > politely. I bet they have a pamphlet or something they cam mail out
    > to them. You don't even have to go to the mail box.

    Good point, thanks. I'll look into it.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.