Old beast lens info (300/5.5 prime)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by papenfussDIESPAM@juneauDOTmeDOTvt.edu, Apr 11, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Hey all... I recently got an old Sears-branded 300mm f/5.5 screwmount
    telephoto. From the looks of it, it seems to be identical to a vivitar on ebay like
    this:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=707&item=7502072857&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

    From the S/N, its alegedly Tokina-built if it's a Vivitar model. Looks a lot
    like the second from the right in the back of this pile:
    http://www.vermontel.net/~wsalati/CasualCollector/t4_for_two.htm

    Does anyone know of this sort of beast? I know a lot of the Vivitars are cult
    classic enough to have lots of info on them, but off-off-brand (like the Sears) are
    tough to find info on. It seems to take pretty good shots on my *ist-DS, with a bit
    of CA on the edges. It doesn't say multicoated on it anywhere, but is it possible it
    is, anyway?

    Just looking to know if there are any thoughts on an old clunker like this.

    Thanks,
    -Cory

    * Cory Papenfuss *

    , Apr 11, 2005

  2. Paul Mitchum Guest

    <> wrote:

    > Hey all... I recently got an old Sears-branded 300mm f/5.5
    > screwmount telephoto. From the looks of it, it seems to be identical to a
    > vivitar on ebay like this:
    > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=707&item=7502072857
    > &rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
    >
    > From the S/N, its alegedly Tokina-built if it's a Vivitar model.
    > Looks a lot like the second from the right in the back of this pile:
    > http://www.vermontel.net/~wsalati/CasualCollector/t4_for_two.htm
    >
    > Does anyone know of this sort of beast? I know a lot of the
    > Vivitars are cult classic enough to have lots of info on them, but
    > off-off-brand (like the Sears) are tough to find info on. It seems to
    > take pretty good shots on my *ist-DS, with a bit of CA on the edges. It
    > doesn't say multicoated on it anywhere, but is it possible it is, anyway?
    >
    > Just looking to know if there are any thoughts on an old clunker
    > like this.

    I found a Sears-branded K-mount 80-200mm/4 zoom at a thrift store
    recently. I've been trying to find any information about it since then,
    myself. There's not a lot out there. They switched manufacturers a lot,
    and apparently no one deems it worthy to track this info down. :)

    That said: I figure this 80-200 is a Ricoh, because I had to modify it
    to use with my *ist DS, and a few Google results warn that Ricoh lenses
    need this kind of modification. (There's an electrical contact pin that
    pokes down into a screw hole on the camera body, making it impossible to
    lock the mount closed, and also very difficult to get the lens back
    off.)

    Paul Mitchum, Apr 11, 2005

  3. Guest

    : I found a Sears-branded K-mount 80-200mm/4 zoom at a thrift store
    : recently. I've been trying to find any information about it since then,
    : myself. There's not a lot out there. They switched manufacturers a lot,
    : and apparently no one deems it worthy to track this info down. :)

    : That said: I figure this 80-200 is a Ricoh, because I had to modify it
    : to use with my *ist DS, and a few Google results warn that Ricoh lenses
    : need this kind of modification. (There's an electrical contact pin that
    : pokes down into a screw hole on the camera body, making it impossible to
    : lock the mount closed, and also very difficult to get the lens back
    : off.)

    I thought that Ricoh lenses were typically made by a 3rd party, too? WRT your
    modification, I've run into that with a Vivitar 28-105 PK/A-R lens from my old P-30T.
    I had to file down the flange on it, and while I had the mount off I removed the Ricoh
    pin. Now no jamming on the AF hole.

    I'm almost sure that the 300mm Sears is a circa 1980 Tokina. It doesn't say
    multicoated on it and doesn't have the "rainbow" while looking at an angle, so I
    suspect it's not. Still, for free it's not bad... :)

    -Cory

    * Cory Papenfuss *

    , Apr 11, 2005
  4. PhotoMan Guest

    "Paul Mitchum" <0m> wrote in message

    > I found a Sears-branded K-mount 80-200mm/4 zoom at a thrift store
    > recently. I've been trying to find any information about it since then,
    > myself. There's not a lot out there. They switched manufacturers a lot,

    Sears, JC Penney, K-Mart, et al were supplied by whatever company would make
    them cheapest. Don't expect anything of value image-wise.

    PhotoMan, Apr 12, 2005
  5. Paul Mitchum Guest

    PhotoMan <> wrote:

    > "Paul Mitchum" <0m> wrote in message
    >
    > > I found a Sears-branded K-mount 80-200mm/4 zoom at a thrift store
    > > recently. I've been trying to find any information about it since then,
    > > myself. There's not a lot out there. They switched manufacturers a lot,

    > Sears, JC Penney, K-Mart, et al were supplied by whatever company would
    > make them cheapest. Don't expect anything of value image-wise.

    True, they were manufactured by the lowest bidder. And they're not that
    great, as lenses go. But in my case, the lens had a one-digit dollar
    value on the price tag.

    Paul Mitchum, Apr 12, 2005
  6. Guest

    : > I found a Sears-branded K-mount 80-200mm/4 zoom at a thrift store
    : > recently. I've been trying to find any information about it since then,
    : > myself. There's not a lot out there. They switched manufacturers a lot,

    : Sears, JC Penney, K-Mart, et al were supplied by whatever company would make
    : them cheapest. Don't expect anything of value image-wise.

    While they're certainly not as good as expensive stuff, it's still better to
    have a mediocre prime lens that can reach a subject by itself than to rely on zooms
    with multipliers to get there. I wouldn't necessarily dismiss any value from it,
    since I can't afford to replace it with anything better.

    Also, a lot of third-party lenses were made by and equivalent to more
    respected names at the time. It's just harder to find out for sure.

    -Cory

    * Cory Papenfuss *

    , Apr 12, 2005