old ATI DVD player (software)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by LAH, Aug 23, 2004.

  1. LAH

    LAH Guest

    Windows 98 First Edition
    Rage Pro Turbo AGP 2x (English) Version 1024
    PCI 64 V Playback
    DirectX 9 (dxdiag says " Hardware accelerated Direct 3D 8= is not available
    because the display driver does not support it. You may be able to get a
    newer one from your hardware manufacturer". I haven't tried and frankly
    wouldn't know what to get even if one was available. I find the ATI site
    really confusing. I just can't figure it out.)
    ATI DVD Player version 1.22 Region 1

    More and more frequently (these days it's almost all) I'm unable to play
    DVDs. Usually I get a message concerning parental control. Nothing I've
    tried gets me past it. I see nothing in the help files to indicate there
    even is a parental control feature on this player.

    I've looked at the ATI website and there are several newer versions. I'm
    not sure what version, if any, would work with my old system. Even if I
    knew, I see that installation requires a CD containing a previous version.
    My player came bundled on my Hewlet Packard and I have no ATI CD - just the
    recovery CDs. I see that I could purchase a CD but I'm not sure what
    version would work. In addition there appears to be numerous drivers with
    nearly identical names. To put it simply - I'm confused about what I need
    and scared of making a mistake.

    In desperation I downloaded something called InterActual Player. It works
    98% of the time but more often than I'd like it seems to find something it
    doesn't like and I'll get a message that it's going to close ( which it
    does). Occasionally I'll get a dvd that doesn't want to play past the
    opening clips. I'm suspicious that the problem is not entirely with the
    player but also with my system as things appear to run more smoothly if I
    restart the computer without loading the startup items. I could live with
    that but I don't especially like the black box or rectangle I sometimes get
    when going to fullscreen. I can usually manage to get it going right but
    it's sort of a pain. It's just that when I can get the ATI DVD player to
    work I don't have any of those problems.

    Questions:
    1. Should I pursue trying to find a newer version of ATI DVD player? If
    so please give the computer nitwit asking this some pretty specific
    instructions.
    2. Has anyone heard of InterActual Player? Is it OK or is it full of
    adware or other things I may not want on my computer?
    3. Are there any other dvd players available that would work well with my
    old system? If the price is reasonable I'm not adverse to paying but free
    is good too. Also it would be nice if I didn't need to download any
    additional files or codecs (whatever they are).
    4. Does anyone know of a "work around" the problem with parental control on
    the version of ATI DVD player I currently have?

    Thanks in advance! Lois
    LAH, Aug 23, 2004