    being broadcast in analog form? How long should this be
    continued, having the analog tuner included?
    -Rich
    Rich, Oct 16, 2005

  2. Rich

    Alpha Guest

    "Rich" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > When comparing all the playback and recording formats,
    > nothing seems to be as dramatic as going from an old
    > "scan line plagued" analog tv to an HDTV with any format.
    > The difference is really shocking. Analog sets shouldn't
    > even be produced any more, they are an abomination.
    > However, should HDTV and digital sets have an analog
    > tuner-convert in them since some programming is still
    > being broadcast in analog form? How long should this be
    > continued, having the analog tuner included?
    > -Rich

    By law analog tuners will end in 2009.
    Alpha, Oct 16, 2005

  3. Rich

    Jordan Guest

    Considering that televisions are still being produced with coaxial
    jacks, something that should have died 10 or 15 years ago, I'd say that
    analog capability isn't going anywhere any time soon.

    - Jordan
    Jordan, Oct 16, 2005
  4. Rich

    Mark Jones Guest

    Rich wrote:
    > When comparing all the playback and recording formats,
    > nothing seems to be as dramatic as going from an old
    > "scan line plagued" analog tv to an HDTV with any format.
    > The difference is really shocking. Analog sets shouldn't
    > even be produced any more, they are an abomination.
    > However, should HDTV and digital sets have an analog
    > tuner-convert in them since some programming is still
    > being broadcast in analog form? How long should this be
    > continued, having the analog tuner included?

    My 65 inch Mitsubishi HDTV has both tuners. They are both
    needed in some areas where the HDTV power levels for
    some stations are real low. In order to receive Fox, I have
    to use analog because the local station is broadcasting
    HDTV at test levels that are only good for one or two miles.
    Mark Jones, Oct 16, 2005
  5. Rich

    Invid Fan Guest

    In article <>, Rich
    <> wrote:

    > When comparing all the playback and recording formats,
    > nothing seems to be as dramatic as going from an old
    > "scan line plagued" analog tv to an HDTV with any format.
    > The difference is really shocking. Analog sets shouldn't
    > even be produced any more, they are an abomination.

    When prices on HD sets come down so you can get a small one for under
    $200, including the tuner, the need for Analog sets will vanish.
    Advertisers want to reach poorer people too, so they have to be able to
    afford new tvs so they can see comercials.

    > However, should HDTV and digital sets have an analog
    > tuner-convert in them since some programming is still
    > being broadcast in analog form? How long should this be
    > continued, having the analog tuner included?

    So long as digital signals don't reach 100% of the country.

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS
    Invid Fan, Oct 17, 2005
  6. Rich

    Justin Guest

    Jordan wrote on [16 Oct 2005 14:08:04 -0700]:
    > Considering that televisions are still being produced with coaxial
    > jacks, something that should have died 10 or 15 years ago, I'd say that
    > analog capability isn't going anywhere any time soon.

    Then how would you get the signal from cable?
    Justin, Oct 17, 2005
  7. Rich

    Justin Guest

    Invid Fan wrote on [Sun, 16 Oct 2005 19:02:42 -0400]:
    > In article <>, Rich
    > <> wrote:
    >> However, should HDTV and digital sets have an analog
    >> tuner-convert in them since some programming is still
    >> being broadcast in analog form? How long should this be
    >> continued, having the analog tuner included?

    > So long as digital signals don't reach 100% of the country.

    Analogue signals don't reach 100% of the country.
    Justin, Oct 17, 2005
  8. Rich

    Invid Fan Guest

    In article <2go.com>, Justin
    <> wrote:

    > Invid Fan wrote on [Sun, 16 Oct 2005 19:02:42 -0400]:
    > > In article <>, Rich
    > > <> wrote:
    > >> However, should HDTV and digital sets have an analog
    > >> tuner-convert in them since some programming is still
    > >> being broadcast in analog form? How long should this be
    > >> continued, having the analog tuner included?

    > > So long as digital signals don't reach 100% of the country.

    > Analogue signals don't reach 100% of the country.

    and those people don't need tv's :) But my point is that so long as
    there's a market where people can get analog but not digital signals,
    analog tv's will be sold. They may eventually cost more then HD due to
    low production runs, but they'll be made.

    Personally I plan on doing without HD until my current set dies, which
    with luck will be far in the future.

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS
    Invid Fan, Oct 17, 2005
  9. Rich

    Jim Reid Guest

    >>But my point is that so long as
    there's a market where people can get analog but not digital signals,
    analog tv's will be sold. They may eventually cost more then HD due to
    low production runs, but they'll be made.
    Personally I plan on doing without HD until my current set dies, which
    with luck will be far in the future. >>

    That's fine, but there is a government mandated deadline at which time
    analog broadcast will cease. It has been slid to 2009. At that date,
    unless it gets slid also, you can keep your analog tv, but there won't
    be anything to watch on it.
    We are about 20 years behind where we should be on this because
    congress did not want the voters to get mad that they had to buy a new
    tv. They should've done this years ago.
    Jim Reid, Oct 17, 2005
  10. Rich

    Jordan Guest

    Run the coaxial to a high definition box and a DVI cable to the
    television.

    - Jordan
    Jordan, Oct 17, 2005
  11. Rich <> wrote:

    >However, should HDTV and digital sets have an analog
    >tuner-convert in them since some programming is still
    >being broadcast in analog form? How long should this be
    >continued, having the analog tuner included?

    I think every TV sold in the US should have both NTSC (analog) and ATSC
    (digital) tuners. The real "abomination" is the tuner-less set that's so
    common.
    Kimba W. Lion, Oct 17, 2005
  12. "Jim Reid" <> wrote:

    >That's fine, but there is a government mandated deadline at which time
    >analog broadcast will cease. It has been slid to 2009. At that date,
    >unless it gets slid also, you can keep your analog tv, but there won't
    >be anything to watch on it.

    Sure there will. The process of producing an "affordable" set top box to
    adapt digital transmissions to older TVs is already under way.

    I'm pretty sure no one is in a hurry to shut off analog cable, either.
    Kimba W. Lion, Oct 17, 2005
  13. Rich

    Biz Guest

    "Jordan" <> wrote in message
    > Run the coaxial to a high definition box and a DVI cable to the
    > television.
    >
    > - Jordan

    What old analog tvs have DVI inputs? The digital STBs will need analog
    outputs for compatibility with all the older analog sets that will exist for
    years, even after the eventual disappearence of analog signals....
    Biz, Oct 17, 2005
  14. Rich

    Alpha Guest

    Alpha, Oct 17, 2005
  15. Rich

    Alpha Guest

    "Kimba W. Lion" <> wrote in message
    > "Jim Reid" <> wrote:
    >
    >>That's fine, but there is a government mandated deadline at which time
    >>analog broadcast will cease. It has been slid to 2009. At that date,
    >>unless it gets slid also, you can keep your analog tv, but there won't
    >>be anything to watch on it.

    > Sure there will. The process of producing an "affordable" set top box to
    > adapt digital transmissions to older TVs is already under way.
    >
    > I'm pretty sure no one is in a hurry to shut off analog cable, either.

    The point is ... analog will no longer be transmitted after 2009 (used to be
    2007....)
    Alpha, Oct 17, 2005
  16. Rich

    Justin Guest

    Jordan wrote on [16 Oct 2005 18:31:44 -0700]:
    > Run the coaxial to a high definition box and a DVI cable to the
    > television.

    What's the advantage there? I know my bedroom TV doesn't need more than
    analogue cable.
    Justin, Oct 17, 2005
  17. Rich

    Jim Reid Guest

    >>Sure there will. The process of producing an "affordable" set top box to
    adapt digital transmissions to older TVs is already under way.

    I'm pretty sure no one is in a hurry to shut off analog cable,
    either.<<

    That should look pretty.

    Cable, in case you haven't noticed, is already in the transition
    process to digital. My cable only gives me about 40 channels out the
    200 or so I have that are analog. My brother, who lives in a smaller
    town than I, has already been switched from analog to digital cable. He
    wasn't given the choice. Take the digital box, or dust off the rabbit
    ears. I prefer to grow with technology, but if you want to watch your
    soft, crappy picture, more power to you.
    Jim Reid, Oct 17, 2005
  18. Rich

    Black Locust Guest

    In article <>,
    Rich <> wrote:

    > When comparing all the playback and recording formats,
    > nothing seems to be as dramatic as going from an old
    > "scan line plagued" analog tv to an HDTV with any format.
    > The difference is really shocking. Analog sets shouldn't
    > even be produced any more, they are an abomination.
    > However, should HDTV and digital sets have an analog
    > tuner-convert in them since some programming is still
    > being broadcast in analog form? How long should this be
    > continued, having the analog tuner included?
    > -Rich

    Analog tuners should always be included by default simply because
    there's no telling when all the networks will switch to digital signals.
    Likewise, HDTV should always remain compatible with older analog devices
    like VCR's and Laserdisc players. Flexibility is imperative to customer
    satisfaction. People are going to want sets that can handle all of their
    needs.
    Black Locust, Oct 17, 2005
  19. Rich wrote:

    ....But old analog TV's don't *eat* anything, why should they have to fast?

    Derek Janssen (maybe he's suggesting death by anorexia?)
    Derek Janssen, Oct 17, 2005
  20. Rich

    Guest

    Rich wrote:
    > When comparing all the playback and recording formats,
    > nothing seems to be as dramatic as going from an old
    > "scan line plagued" analog tv to an HDTV with any format.
    > The difference is really shocking. Analog sets shouldn't
    > even be produced any more, they are an abomination.
    > However, should HDTV and digital sets have an analog
    > tuner-convert in them since some programming is still
    > being broadcast in analog form? How long should this be
    > continued, having the analog tuner included?
    > -Rich

    In addition to analog tuners (which haven't been able to pick up decent
    OTA signals since the mid-1980's when the cable industry boomed and
    made even easy reception with a coat-hanger impossible) they should
    also get rid of all the analog inputs on Standard and HDTV Ready-tv's
    like Composite (Red-White-Yellow), Component (Red-Green-Blue), S-Video,
    along with the old-fashioned 75ohm Coaxial RF connector and make
    digital inputs like DVI the norm.

    Only problem with that idea is now what do I own that has DVI outputs
    anyway? Last I checked my satellite dish and dvd player were still
    hooked up to my HD-Ready TV with component (analog) and s-video
    (analog) connections. The only thing digital is the delivery method
    not the end product. Same goes for low-end Digital Cable (an oxymoron
    IMO).

    Personally I can't wait for the day when everything is all-digital and
    there is no analog-to-digital or digital-to-analog conversion necessary
    whatsoever. I mean we're only what 15 years behind Europe and Asia in
    HDTV implimentation. Heck, we're still beaming that same 50yo outdated
    525-scan-line tv signal around the country so some old geazers can
    watch lawrence welk on that old black-and-white tv set they've had
    since before their kids had kids. Prices won't stay up forever.
    Unlike 40 years ago when color tv's were introduced to a large B/W tv
    audience I don't see that many people in todays society not being able
    to afford to upgrade to the new HDTV standard. Even my aunt, who's in
    her mid-60's and on a pension, bought an HDTV, dvd player, and home
    theater system and can't wait for the rollover.
    , Oct 17, 2005