    The legs seem pretty wobbly to me but the head works well:
    <http://www.edgehill.net/1/?SC=go.php&DIR=Misc/photography/2005-02-18-tripod>
    Is this thing any good? Could I get different legs for the head?

    paul, Feb 18, 2005

  2. paul <> writes:

    > Old 1950's Gitzo Reporter tripod
    > The legs seem pretty wobbly to me but the head works well:
    > <http://www.edgehill.net/1/?SC=go.php&DIR=Misc/photography/2005-02-18-tripod>
    > Is this thing any good? Could I get different legs for the head?

    I must admit to thinking a tripod that is wobbly with the equipment you use
    kind of misses the point of using a tripod on the first place. However,
    sometimes you can hang more weight on a tripod to stabilize it, such as
    drapping a heavy camera bag over it.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:

    Michael Meissner, Feb 18, 2005

  3. paul

    RSD99 Guest

    RSD99, Feb 18, 2005
  4. paul

    paul Guest

    I guess I really don't know what is good or bad. I did some time lapse
    in the wind and it moved. I tried the weighing down idea & that seemed OK.

    The real problem is the leg tighteners are too cumbersome to adjust.
    Maybe they could be cleaned to work smoother but it is a real pain to
    extend & collapse.

    Comparable new legs from Gitzo are close to $300 if the head still fits.
    I don't know if that'd be worth doing.

    paul, Feb 19, 2005