    Scene selection

    Special features....GET REAL!

    HJ

    Henry Jaclounge, Oct 6, 2003

  2. Henry Jaclounge <> wrote in
    news:Xns940CB1C896407jvital1uicedu@204.127.204.17:

    > DVD's have been out for how many years now? WEll, I think it's about
    > time to stop calling the following "Special Features":
    >

    > Original grainy theatrical trailer
    > French and Spanish subtitles
    > Actor's bios
    > Scene selection

    It's not as bad as listing "Widescreen Presentation" and
    "5.1 Audio" as Special Features... as if picture and sound
    were bonuses.

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.daily-reviews.com

    Aaron J. Bossig, Oct 7, 2003

  3. Henry Jaclounge

    Doonie Guest

    On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 02:42:40 GMT, Aaron J. Bossig wrote:

    >Henry Jaclounge wrote:
    >
    >> DVD's have been out for how many years now? WEll, I think it's about
    >> time to stop calling the following "Special Features":
    >>
    >> Original grainy theatrical trailer
    >> French and Spanish subtitles
    >> Actor's bios
    >> Scene selection

    >It's not as bad as listing "Widescreen Presentation" and
    >"5.1 Audio" as Special Features... as if picture and sound
    >were bonuses.

    "Animated Menus" aren't too special anymore, either. =\

    Doonie, Oct 7, 2003
  4. Henry Jaclounge

    Coreywt Guest

    > "Animated Menus" aren't too special anymore, either. =\

    I'm always annoyed when something is called a "collector's edition" when it's
    the only edition released.

    Corey

    Coreywt, Oct 7, 2003
  5. Henry Jaclounge

    Goldfinger Guest

    "Coreywt" <> wrote in message

    > I'm always annoyed when something is called a "collector's edition" when

    it's
    > the only edition released.

    I'm not annoyed just puzzled. How can you call the only edition Special
    Edition when there's no Non-Special Edition to speak of? It proves how
    gulliable public is. The other things about buying/trading DVDs on ebay and
    such. People actually ask for more money because it's a 2-disc DVD. Get
    real, most 2-disc DVDs retail at the same price as the 1-disc ones.

    Goldfinger, Oct 7, 2003
  6. I agree. Special edition my hinder.

    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Oct 7, 2003
  7. Henry Jaclounge

    Peter Guest

    Doonie wrote:
    > On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 02:42:40 GMT, Aaron J. Bossig wrote:
    >

    >>Henry Jaclounge wrote:
    >>

    >>>DVD's have been out for how many years now? WEll, I think it's about
    >>>time to stop calling the following "Special Features":
    >>>
    >>>Original grainy theatrical trailer
    >>>French and Spanish subtitles
    >>>Actor's bios
    >>>Scene selection

    >>It's not as bad as listing "Widescreen Presentation" and
    >>"5.1 Audio" as Special Features... as if picture and sound
    >>were bonuses.

    > "Animated Menus" aren't too special anymore, either. =\

    No, most are overdone... Like Big Trouble in Little China, I hate those
    menu's =)

    --
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the
    computer you will find at least two human errors,

    Peter, Oct 8, 2003
  8. Henry Jaclounge

    Doonie Guest

    On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 20:57:50 -0400, Peter wrote:

    >Doonie wrote:
    >
    >> "Animated Menus" aren't too special anymore, either. =\

    >No, most are overdone... Like Big Trouble in Little China, I hate those
    >menu's =)

    The menus are the reason I never bought the first release of X-Men.
    The intro to each menu was really long and you couldn't skip them! =\
    Glad they fixed that in 1.5, which I did buy.

    Doonie, Oct 8, 2003
  9. Henry Jaclounge

    Jordan Lund Guest

    Henry Jaclounge <> wrote in message news:<Xns940CB1C896407jvital1uicedu@204.127.204.17>...
    > DVD's have been out for how many years now? WEll, I think it's about time
    > to stop calling the following "Special Features":
    >

    > Original grainy theatrical trailer
    > French and Spanish subtitles
    > Actor's bios
    > Scene selection

    My favorite... "Interactive Menus"

    - Jordan

    Jordan Lund, Oct 8, 2003
  10. Henry Jaclounge

    Smaug69 Guest

    (Jordan Lund) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Henry Jaclounge <> wrote in message news:<Xns940CB1C896407jvital1uicedu@204.127.204.17>...
    > > DVD's have been out for how many years now? WEll, I think it's about time
    > > to stop calling the following "Special Features":
    > >

    > > Original grainy theatrical trailer
    > > French and Spanish subtitles
    > > Actor's bios
    > > Scene selection

    > My favorite... "Interactive Menus"

    Yeah, that's a good one. As opposed to the menus that randomly access
    themselves thereby preventing you from watching what you want.

    Smaug69

    Smaug69, Oct 9, 2003
  11. Henry Jaclounge

    Evil Guest

    Doonie <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 20:57:50 -0400, Peter wrote:
    >
    > >Doonie wrote:
    > >
    > >> "Animated Menus" aren't too special anymore, either. =\

    > >No, most are overdone... Like Big Trouble in Little China, I hate those
    > >menu's =)

    > The menus are the reason I never bought the first release of X-Men.
    > The intro to each menu was really long and you couldn't skip them! =\
    > Glad they fixed that in 1.5, which I did buy.

    i wish there was a way to disable animating menus. GAWD!

    Evil, Oct 9, 2003
  12. In news:blvnlv$rjc$,
    Peter <> said in a panic:
    > No, most are overdone... Like Big Trouble in Little China, I hate
    > those menu's =)

    How about "The Lion King" or "Piglet's Big Movie." Both
    are beyond annoying.

    Or as someone mentioned, the original "X-Men" DVD.
    I'm holding off on getting 1.5 until the two pack with X2
    comes out late November. No big hurry for me at this point.

    --
    Brian "Demolition Man" Little

    Brian \Demolition Man\ Little, Oct 10, 2003
  13. In news:,
    Jordan Lund <> said in a panic:
    > My favorite... "Interactive Menus"

    My personal favorite... "Choice of Widescreen or
    Full-Screen."

    Sorry, but there should NOT be a "choice." It should be
    whatever the FILM MAKERS INTENDED OAR is.

    Joe Sixpack is starting to learn tho... slowly but they are
    starting to get it.

    --
    Brian "Demolition Man" Little

    Brian \Demolition Man\ Little, Oct 10, 2003
  14. Henry Jaclounge

    Eric R. Guest

    "Brian \"Demolition Man\" Little" <> wrote in message

    > Sorry, but there should NOT be a "choice."

    Yeah. If I've said it once, I'ver said it a hundred times. Democracy
    just doesn't work.

    -Eric

    Eric R., Oct 13, 2003
  15. Henry Jaclounge

    Frank Guest

    Disney used to call out "Full color artwork" - can't tell you how often I
    like to stare at the DVD before/after I play the movie.

    Frank, Oct 15, 2003
  16. Henry Jaclounge

    Codswallop Guest

    On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 00:38:40 GMT, Frank wrote in alt.video.dvd:

    >> > My favorite... "Interactive Menus"

    >> Yeah, that's a good one. As opposed to the menus that randomly access
    >> themselves thereby preventing you from watching what you want.

    Don't forget:

    Picture Disc
    Dual-Layer disc (or Dual-Sided, or DVD-5/9/14/18)

    .... and the worst special feature? "No black bars"

    --
    - Cods

    (un ROT-13 to e-mail)

    Codswallop, Oct 15, 2003
  17. Henry Jaclounge

    Eric R. Guest

    "Frank" <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > Disney used to call out "Full color artwork"

    Yeah, as opposed to the grayscale artwork we get on most DVD's. ;-)

    -Eric

    Eric R., Oct 16, 2003
  18. >> Disney used to call out "Full color artwork"

    >Yeah, as opposed to the grayscale artwork we get on most DVD's. ;-)

    Some of those Buena Vista DVDs did have that gray text on it that was barely
    legible. You had to turn it at an angle to catch the reflection to make out
    the text.

    Remove "moc" to reply.

    Whoever says "Nothing is impossible" has never tried to slam a
    revolving door.
    - Willy Walker

    Sydney Assbasket, Oct 16, 2003
  19. Henry Jaclounge

    Invid Fan Guest

    In article <>, Sydney
    Assbasket <> wrote:

    > >> Disney used to call out "Full color artwork"

    > >Yeah, as opposed to the grayscale artwork we get on most DVD's. ;-)
    > >

    > Some of those Buena Vista DVDs did have that gray text on it that was barely
    > legible. You had to turn it at an angle to catch the reflection to make out
    > the text.

    I have a number of DVDs that have no artwork, or it's just a greyscale
    picture. [checks] Pioneer released some anime that way, Battle Athletes
    being the first one I happened to check. The PR people probably figured
    having full color pictures on a DVD was similar to the old LP picture
    discs.

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

    Invid Fan, Oct 17, 2003
  20. Henry Jaclounge

    Black Locust Guest

    In article <Xns94157D2D5547codswallopcom@139.132.1.4>,
    Codswallop <> wrote:

    > ... and the worst special feature? "No black bars"

    Are there discs that really do have something as ludicrous as that
    listed as a "special feature?" Something like that shouldn't be printed
    on the box at all. All it does is feed Joe Sixpack's ignorange and
    selfishness. Why don't they start printing something like "This DVD
    contains no black bars, but 43% of the movie's picture has been thrown
    in the trash so we could create a square shaped image out of the movie
    that will fill up your tv screen. The director does not want anyone
    watching this butchered version of his film, but we'll sell it to your
    stupid ass anyway." *sigh*
    --
    BL

    Black Locust, Oct 24, 2003