    Anyways, I cant find it. when I try to open the package again, it tells
    me the pragram is installed. WTF is it installed. Can't find it on the
    menues either. Anyone ?

    troglodyte, Sep 19, 2004

  2. troglodyte

    Harry Guest

    troglodyte wrote:

    > downloaded an rpm package. winamp for linux. clicked on the download and
    > it installed. (im using kde btw) Red hat 9
    >
    > Anyways, I cant find it. when I try to open the package again, it tells
    > me the pragram is installed. WTF is it installed. Can't find it on the
    > menues either. Anyone ?

    A couple of things you might like to try.

    First, "rpm -ql package". That will show you all the files in the package.

    Secondly, to start winamp I reckon you'd need to either type "winamp"
    from the command-line, or create an appropriate shortcut.

    Open up a terminal window and try typing "winamp". Good place to start.

    Harry, Sep 20, 2004

  3. troglodyte

    Rebel Lord Guest

    Harry wrote:

    > troglodyte wrote:
    >
    >> downloaded an rpm package. winamp for linux. clicked on the download
    >> and
    >> it installed. (im using kde btw) Red hat 9
    >>
    >> Anyways, I cant find it. when I try to open the package again, it tells
    >> me the pragram is installed. WTF is it installed. Can't find it on the
    >> menues either. Anyone ?

    > A couple of things you might like to try.
    >
    > First, "rpm -ql package". That will show you all the files in the
    > package.
    >
    > Secondly, to start winamp I reckon you'd need to either type "winamp"
    > from the command-line, or create an appropriate shortcut.
    >
    > Open up a terminal window and try typing "winamp". Good place to start.

    Yep or withing kde alt-f2 gives you a command line and provided there is a
    symlink to the progrm in your path it will run. I know this sounds
    longwinded but try.

    While the advice above is good I would try as su...

    rpm -qa |grep winamp

    This shows you if winamp has installed.
    What do you need winamp for btw ?

    Rebel Lord, Sep 20, 2004
  4. troglodyte

    Harry Guest

    Rebel Lord wrote:

    > Harry wrote:
    >
    >> troglodyte wrote:
    >>
    >>> downloaded an rpm package. winamp for linux. clicked on the download
    >>> and
    >>> it installed. (im using kde btw) Red hat 9
    >>>
    >>> Anyways, I cant find it. when I try to open the package again, it tells
    >>> me the pragram is installed. WTF is it installed. Can't find it on the
    >>> menues either. Anyone ?

    >> A couple of things you might like to try.
    >>
    >> First, "rpm -ql package". That will show you all the files in the
    >> package.
    >>
    >> Secondly, to start winamp I reckon you'd need to either type "winamp"
    >> from the command-line, or create an appropriate shortcut.
    >>
    >> Open up a terminal window and try typing "winamp". Good place to start.

    > Yep or withing kde alt-f2 gives you a command line and provided there is a
    > symlink to the progrm in your path it will run. I know this sounds
    > longwinded but try.
    >

    > While the advice above is good I would try as su...
    >
    > rpm -qa |grep winamp
    >
    > This shows you if winamp has installed.
    > What do you need winamp for btw ?

    No, you only need to do "rpm -q winamp".
    And you shouldn't need to su. The rpm database is readable by all users.
    Beware of doing "rpm -a" into a pipe because rpm still has bugs that
    can leave database index in unusable condition.

    Harry, Sep 20, 2004
  5. Hi there,

    Harry wrote:
    > troglodyte wrote:
    >

    >>downloaded an rpm package. winamp for linux. clicked on the download and
    >>it installed. (im using kde btw) Red hat 9
    >>
    >>Anyways, I cant find it. when I try to open the package again, it tells
    >>me the pragram is installed. WTF is it installed. Can't find it on the
    >>menues either. Anyone ?

    > A couple of things you might like to try.
    >
    > First, "rpm -ql package". That will show you all the files in the package.
    >
    > Secondly, to start winamp I reckon you'd need to either type "winamp"
    > from the command-line, or create an appropriate shortcut.
    >
    > Open up a terminal window and try typing "winamp". Good place to start.

    ....then they could rename it to Linamp...might score more brownie points
    with the linux community that way... :)

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Sep 20, 2004
  6. troglodyte

    steve Guest

    troglodyte wrote:

    > downloaded an rpm package. winamp for linux. clicked on the download and
    > it installed. (im using kde btw) Red hat 9
    >
    > Anyways, I cant find it. when I try to open the package again, it tells
    > me the pragram is installed. WTF is it installed. Can't find it on the
    > menues either. Anyone ?

    "xmms" is the usual mp3 player on Linux....

    On RedHat 9 you'll find they have not installed the libraries needed to play
    MP3s because some lawyer somewhere scared them by making funny faces and
    horrible grunting noises.

    You will have to install these libraries yourself....and it will all be well
    documented as this was a bit of an issue when RH9 came out a couple of
    years ago.

    Fedora Core 2 (two versions of RH later) would have been much
    better.......seriously.

    Fedora Core 3 (RC1) is now out.

    --
    Distributed Computing Projects:
    SETI at Home

    steve, Sep 20, 2004
  7. troglodyte

    theseus Guest

    "Chris Wilkinson" <> wrote in message
    > Hi there,
    >
    > Harry wrote:
    >> troglodyte wrote:
    >>

    >>>downloaded an rpm package. winamp for linux. clicked on the download
    >>>and
    >>>it installed. (im using kde btw) Red hat 9
    >>>
    >>>Anyways, I cant find it. when I try to open the package again, it tells
    >>>me the pragram is installed. WTF is it installed. Can't find it on the
    >>>menues either. Anyone ?

    >> A couple of things you might like to try.
    >>
    >> First, "rpm -ql package". That will show you all the files in the
    >> package.
    >>
    >> Secondly, to start winamp I reckon you'd need to either type "winamp"
    >> from the command-line, or create an appropriate shortcut.
    >>
    >> Open up a terminal window and try typing "winamp". Good place to start.

    > ...then they could rename it to Linamp...might score more brownie points
    > with the linux community that way... :)

    They probably burnt that bridge when FreeAmp had to change its name to zinf
    (Zinf Is Not FreeAmp) at the "request" of AOL the owner of WinAmp
    BTW XMMS was originally called X11AMP until
    june 99 :) http://memory.xmms.org/x11amp_v1/

    theseus, Sep 20, 2004
  8. Hi there,

    theseus wrote:
    > "Chris Wilkinson" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hi there,
    >>
    >>Harry wrote:

    >>>A couple of things you might like to try.
    >>>
    >>>First, "rpm -ql package". That will show you all the files in the
    >>>package.
    >>>
    >>>Secondly, to start winamp I reckon you'd need to either type "winamp"
    >>>from the command-line, or create an appropriate shortcut.
    >>>
    >>>Open up a terminal window and try typing "winamp". Good place to start.

    >>...then they could rename it to Linamp...might score more brownie points
    >>with the linux community that way... :)

    > They probably burnt that bridge when FreeAmp had to change its name to zinf
    > (Zinf Is Not FreeAmp) at the "request" of AOL the owner of WinAmp
    > BTW XMMS was originally called X11AMP until
    > june 99 :) http://memory.xmms.org/x11amp_v1/

    Wouldn't be the first software package to be renamed at the 'request'
    of some big corporate...we still see the odd news item about some tiny
    flyspeck of a corner dairy 'having' to rename because a big corporate in
    USA thinks their name rhymes... :)

    I don't think I'll be downloading it since its only Winamp 3.0 (PC ver
    is at 5.5 IIRC)...I'm pretty sure XMMS is equivalent to a *much* later
    version of Winamp than that...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Sep 21, 2004