    first few chapters are all core exam chapters, then OS exam chapters are
    inserted, before going back to core exam chapters. It would seem to make
    more sense to have all the same exam chapters together.

    Michael, Nov 6, 2004

  2. On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 18:46:03 -0500, "Michael" <>
    wrote:

    >After reading what you guys had to say, I've decided to take the two exams
    >separately, but why is the All-In-One book organized the way it is? The
    >first few chapters are all core exam chapters, then OS exam chapters are
    >inserted, before going back to core exam chapters. It would seem to make
    >more sense to have all the same exam chapters together.

    Read the chapters out-of-sequence?

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Nov 7, 2004

  3. Michael

    Thumper Guest

    wrote:

    >After reading what you guys had to say, I've decided to take the two exams
    >separately, but why is the All-In-One book organized the way it is? The
    >first few chapters are all core exam chapters, then OS exam chapters are
    >inserted, before going back to core exam chapters. It would seem to make
    >more sense to have all the same exam chapters together.

    You don't have to take them separately. I took them both at once and
    used Mike's book. I think you will have a better overall
    understanding if you study both at the same time.
    Thumper
    To reply drop XYZ in address

    Thumper, Nov 7, 2004
  4. On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 18:46:03 -0500, "Michael" <>
    wrote:

    >After reading what you guys had to say, I've decided to take the two exams
    >separately, but why is the All-In-One book organized the way it is? The
    >first few chapters are all core exam chapters, then OS exam chapters are
    >inserted, before going back to core exam chapters. It would seem to make
    >more sense to have all the same exam chapters together.

    Hi Michael,

    To answer your question, the book is organized according to the way
    Mike feels it's best to learn the material.

    When CompTIA initially made the decision to split the A+ exam into two
    portions, they had to find a way to distinguish one portion from the
    other; as a result, we have "Core" and "OS" material. This is
    something of an artificial distinction, however. In the real world, as
    I'm sure you're aware, the hardware and software aspects of the PC
    aren't always so easily separable.

    When it comes to creating an A+ prep book, the bottom line is giving
    you the material in a way that makes sense. Everyone who becomes A+
    Certified will eventually have to know all of the material, to pass
    both exams, so the All-In-One book is arranged in a way that's
    conducive to whole-subject learning.

    Hope that helps, and best of luck with your exams,

    Cindy Clayton
    Total Seminars, LLC
    www.totalsem.com

    Cindy Clayton, Nov 8, 2004
  5. Michael

    Michael Guest

    Interestingly, the number of chapters devoted to the Core is 18 and the
    chapters devoted to the OS is 5.

    That's quite a large difference! For being divided into 2 tests, it's
    remarkable that there seems to be a large material imbalance between the two
    tests. Does this seem to be true to others who have taken the test?

    Michael

    Michael, Nov 10, 2004
  6. Michael

    Thumper Guest

    On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 23:10:15 -0500, "Michael" <>
    wrote:

    >Interestingly, the number of chapters devoted to the Core is 18 and the
    >chapters devoted to the OS is 5.
    >
    >That's quite a large difference! For being divided into 2 tests, it's
    >remarkable that there seems to be a large material imbalance between the two
    >tests. Does this seem to be true to others who have taken the test?
    >
    >Michael

    There really isn't an imbalance. Much of the so called core chapters
    carry OS stuff too.
    Thumper

    >"Cindy Clayton" <> wrote in message
    >> >

    >> To answer your question, the book is organized according to the way
    >> Mike feels it's best to learn the material.
    >>
    >> When CompTIA initially made the decision to split the A+ exam into two
    >> portions, they had to find a way to distinguish one portion from the
    >> other; as a result, we have "Core" and "OS" material. This is
    >> something of an artificial distinction, however. In the real world, as
    >> I'm sure you're aware, the hardware and software aspects of the PC
    >> aren't always so easily separable.
    >>
    >> When it comes to creating an A+ prep book, the bottom line is giving
    >> you the material in a way that makes sense. Everyone who becomes A+
    >> Certified will eventually have to know all of the material, to pass
    >> both exams, so the All-In-One book is arranged in a way that's
    >> conducive to whole-subject learning.
    >>
    >> Hope that helps, and best of luck with your exams,
    >>
    >> Cindy Clayton
    >> Total Seminars, LLC
    >> www.totalsem.com

    To reply drop XYZ in address

    Thumper, Nov 10, 2004
  7. Michael

    PlazticSoul Guest

    "Michael" <> wrote in message
    > Interestingly, the number of chapters devoted to the Core is 18 and the
    > chapters devoted to the OS is 5.
    >
    > That's quite a large difference! For being divided into 2 tests, it's
    > remarkable that there seems to be a large material imbalance between the
    > two tests. Does this seem to be true to others who have taken the test?
    >
    > Michael

    Yeah, I noticed that, too. But a lot of time in his book is spent going over
    why things are the way they are, especially with the hardware, so it seems
    like a lot more info than it really is. I appreciate his historical
    perpective, though, because it helps in grasping the concepts behind the
    data.With the OS exam you don't have to memorize as much. Just be familiar
    with everything. Also, you will see networking and printer questions touched
    upon in BOTH exams... or, at least that was the case for me.

    PlazticSoul, Nov 12, 2004