    connect that cable to the monitor for sale without having to turn off
    the computer in the process. Would any harm be done to either monitor
    if I did that switching routine with the single VGA cable? Thanks.

    M.L., Jun 29, 2010

  2. M.L.

    thanatoid Guest

    M.L. <> wrote in
    news::

    > I'm in the process of selling one of my LCD monitors and
    > would like to be able to unplug the VGA cable of the
    > current monitor I'm using to connect that cable to the
    > monitor for sale without having to turn off the computer in
    > the process. Would any harm be done to either monitor if I
    > did that switching routine with the single VGA cable?
    > Thanks.

    I've done it a bunch of times with no apparent damage. One
    monitor is a CRT and the other is a computer-connectable (VGA
    cable) 40" LCD TV... OTOH, aside from the supposedly "ultra
    super-plug in-yank out-set on fire-whatever" USB cables, I would
    not do this with ANY other cable (like mouse, kbd, parallel, old
    serial...).
    But I think the monitor cable is ONE cable it is totally OK to
    unplug while up and running.

    Comments welcome.

    thanatoid, Jun 29, 2010

  3. M.L.

    83LowRider Guest

    M.L. wrote:
    > I'm in the process of selling one of my LCD monitors and would like to
    > be able to unplug the VGA cable of the current monitor I'm using to
    > connect that cable to the monitor for sale without having to turn off
    > the computer in the process. Would any harm be done to either monitor
    > if I did that switching routine with the single VGA cable? Thanks.

    I've done so many many times with no problems.

    83LowRider, Jun 29, 2010
  4. M.L.

    M.L. Guest

    >> I'm in the process of selling one of my LCD monitors and would like to
    >> be able to unplug the VGA cable of the current monitor I'm using to
    >> connect that cable to the monitor for sale without having to turn off
    >> the computer in the process. Would any harm be done to either monitor
    >> if I did that switching routine with the single VGA cable? Thanks.

    >I've done so many many times with no problems.

    Good. Thanks for the assurance.

    M.L., Jun 29, 2010
  5. M.L.

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 01:52:12 -0500, M.L. ÇʇoɹÊ:

    > I'm in the process of selling one of my LCD monitors and would like to
    > be able to unplug the VGA cable of the current monitor I'm using to
    > connect that cable to the monitor for sale without having to turn off
    > the computer in the process. Would any harm be done to either monitor if
    > I did that switching routine with the single VGA cable? Thanks.

    Probably not a good idea but I've been doing it for years on laptops
    without any problems.

    Meat Plow, Jun 29, 2010