Ok, so which ISP out there is offering the BEST UBS service?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Bottle Boy, Feb 22, 2005.

  1. Bottle Boy

    Bottle Boy Guest

    I've had enough of Orcon. I'm going to cancel my account with them. Can
    someone recommend an ISP that offers the UBS service but with a a decent
    quality of service?
     
    Bottle Boy, Feb 22, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Bottle Boy wrote:
    > I've had enough of Orcon. I'm going to cancel my account with them. Can
    > someone recommend an ISP that offers the UBS service but with a a decent
    > quality of service?


    Ihug under the marketing name biink?
     
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Feb 22, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Bottle Boy

    Chris Hope Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Bottle Boy wrote:
    >> I've had enough of Orcon. I'm going to cancel my account with them.
    >> Can someone recommend an ISP that offers the UBS service but with a a
    >> decent quality of service?

    >
    > Ihug under the marketing name biink?


    I've rarely had any problems with bliink. I think in the two months I've
    had it there have been three outages. One was a couple of hours but the
    others were only a matter of minutes. Newsgroups are pretty good too,
    although they don't carry all the ones I subscribe to.

    http://www.bliink.co.nz/

    --
    Chris Hope - The Electric Toolbox - http://www.electrictoolbox.com/
     
    Chris Hope, Feb 22, 2005
    #3
  4. Bottle Boy

    Steve Guest

    Chris Hope wrote:
    > Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Bottle Boy wrote:
    >>
    >>>I've had enough of Orcon. I'm going to cancel my account with them.
    >>>Can someone recommend an ISP that offers the UBS service but with a a
    >>>decent quality of service?

    >>
    >>Ihug under the marketing name biink?

    >
    >
    > I've rarely had any problems with bliink. I think in the two months I've
    > had it there have been three outages. One was a couple of hours but the
    > others were only a matter of minutes. Newsgroups are pretty good too,
    > although they don't carry all the ones I subscribe to.
    >
    > http://www.bliink.co.nz/
    >

    Err... in the year that I've ben with ihug adsl, *not* bliink, I've had
    2 outages. Why do you require UBS?

    Steve
     
    Steve, Feb 22, 2005
    #4
  5. Bottle Boy

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Bottle Boy wrote:
    > I've had enough of Orcon. I'm going to cancel my account with them.
    > Can someone recommend an ISP that offers the UBS service but with a a
    > decent quality of service?


    Colour me interested too. Orcon can suck my toes for all I care, I've had
    just about enough of their crap. Changing their TOS now to compensate for a
    crap product? The beginning of the end.
    --
    ~misfit~



    ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
    http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
    ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----
     
    ~misfit~, Feb 22, 2005
    #5
  6. Bottle Boy

    EMB Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > Bottle Boy wrote:
    >
    >> I've had enough of Orcon. I'm going to cancel my account with them.
    >> Can someone recommend an ISP that offers the UBS service but with a a
    >> decent quality of service?

    >
    >
    > Ihug under the marketing name bliink?


    I moved a couple of family members to bliink a while back. Apart from
    one strange outage of a couple of hours recently (pop, smtp & ftp fine,
    no http working) it's been faultless and reliable. They're not really
    into gaming but latency has always been acceptable when I've used their
    connections.


    --
    EMB
     
    EMB, Feb 22, 2005
    #6
  7. Bottle Boy

    Chris Hope Guest

    Steve wrote:

    > Chris Hope wrote:
    >> Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >>
    >>>Bottle Boy wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>I've had enough of Orcon. I'm going to cancel my account with them.
    >>>>Can someone recommend an ISP that offers the UBS service but with a
    >>>>a decent quality of service?
    >>>
    >>>Ihug under the marketing name biink?

    >>
    >>
    >> I've rarely had any problems with bliink. I think in the two months
    >> I've had it there have been three outages. One was a couple of hours
    >> but the others were only a matter of minutes. Newsgroups are pretty
    >> good too, although they don't carry all the ones I subscribe to.
    >>
    >> http://www.bliink.co.nz/
    >>

    > Err... in the year that I've ben with ihug adsl, *not* bliink, I've


    Well that's really just ADSL through Telecom then, isn't it :)

    > had 2 outages. Why do you require UBS?


    Uncapped downloads. With the normal Jetstream plans you get bumped down
    to 64k (unless this has recently changed) once you go past 10GB in a
    month.

    --
    Chris Hope - The Electric Toolbox - http://www.electrictoolbox.com/
     
    Chris Hope, Feb 22, 2005
    #7
  8. Bottle Boy

    DoggNZ Guest

    On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 16:35:29 +1300, "~misfit~"
    <> wrote:

    >Bottle Boy wrote:
    >> I've had enough of Orcon. I'm going to cancel my account with them.
    >> Can someone recommend an ISP that offers the UBS service but with a a
    >> decent quality of service?

    >
    >Colour me interested too. Orcon can suck my toes for all I care, I've had
    >just about enough of their crap. Changing their TOS now to compensate for a
    >crap product? The beginning of the end.


    Blink are $10 more the Orcon a month if you don't use them for tolls
    but hey..I'd pay that for a more reliable connection.

    --
    BOINC SETI
    http://boinc.mundayweb.com/seti2/stats.php?userID=1469&trans=off
     
    DoggNZ, Feb 22, 2005
    #8
  9. Bottle Boy

    Krazy Bob Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    news:421aa82e$1_2@127.0.0.1...
    > Bottle Boy wrote:
    >> I've had enough of Orcon. I'm going to cancel my account with them.
    >> Can someone recommend an ISP that offers the UBS service but with a a
    >> decent quality of service?

    >
    > Colour me interested too. Orcon can suck my toes for all I care, I've had
    > just about enough of their crap. Changing their TOS now to compensate for
    > a
    > crap product? The beginning of the end.
    > --
    > ~misfit~


    What a about slingshot, $49 for unlimited on 256K plan
    I assume its UBS,

    >
    >
    > ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet
    > News==----
    > http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+
    > Newsgroups
    > ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption
    > =----
     
    Krazy Bob, Feb 22, 2005
    #9
  10. On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 17:34:03 +1300, wrote:

    >
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > news:421aa82e$1_2@127.0.0.1...
    >> Bottle Boy wrote:
    >>> I've had enough of Orcon. I'm going to cancel my account with them.
    >>> Can someone recommend an ISP that offers the UBS service but with a a
    >>> decent quality of service?

    >>
    >> Colour me interested too. Orcon can suck my toes for all I care, I've had
    >> just about enough of their crap. Changing their TOS now to compensate for
    >> a
    >> crap product? The beginning of the end.
    >> --
    >> ~misfit~

    >
    > What a about slingshot, $49 for unlimited on 256K plan
    > I assume its UBS,


    er.. I could be wrong here.. but isnt UBS only coming in 2 MB/s packages..
    whilst 256 KB/s plans are all adsl

    --

    Hardware, n.: The parts of a computer system that can be kicked
     
    Shane (aka froggy), Feb 22, 2005
    #10
  11. Bottle Boy

    Chris Hope Guest

    Shane (aka froggy) wrote:

    > On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 17:34:03 +1300, wrote:
    >
    >> "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >> news:421aa82e$1_2@127.0.0.1...
    >>> Bottle Boy wrote:
    >>>> I've had enough of Orcon. I'm going to cancel my account with them.
    >>>> Can someone recommend an ISP that offers the UBS service but with a
    >>>> a decent quality of service?
    >>>
    >>> Colour me interested too. Orcon can suck my toes for all I care,
    >>> I've had just about enough of their crap. Changing their TOS now to
    >>> compensate for a
    >>> crap product? The beginning of the end.
    >>> --
    >>> ~misfit~

    >>
    >> What a about slingshot, $49 for unlimited on 256K plan
    >> I assume its UBS,

    >
    > er.. I could be wrong here.. but isnt UBS only coming in 2 MB/s
    > packages.. whilst 256 KB/s plans are all adsl


    It's the other way around.

    IHUG, Orcon, Slingshot etc sell UBS @ 256k directly to the customer. All
    billing is done direct to the customer and you don't see anything on
    your Telecom bill.

    The 2MB/s stuff (although I thought it went up as high as 8MB/s) is just
    them reselling Telecom's plans in the old way. I'm not sure if you
    still see a component on your Telecom bill with this or not.

    --
    Chris Hope - The Electric Toolbox - http://www.electrictoolbox.com/
     
    Chris Hope, Feb 22, 2005
    #11
  12. On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 17:42:36 +1300, Chris Hope wrote:

    > Shane (aka froggy) wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 17:34:03 +1300, wrote:
    >>
    >>> "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >>> news:421aa82e$1_2@127.0.0.1...
    >>>> Bottle Boy wrote:
    >>>>> I've had enough of Orcon. I'm going to cancel my account with them.
    >>>>> Can someone recommend an ISP that offers the UBS service but with a
    >>>>> a decent quality of service?
    >>>>
    >>>> Colour me interested too. Orcon can suck my toes for all I care,
    >>>> I've had just about enough of their crap. Changing their TOS now to
    >>>> compensate for a
    >>>> crap product? The beginning of the end.
    >>>> --
    >>>> ~misfit~
    >>>
    >>> What a about slingshot, $49 for unlimited on 256K plan
    >>> I assume its UBS,

    >>
    >> er.. I could be wrong here.. but isnt UBS only coming in 2 MB/s
    >> packages.. whilst 256 KB/s plans are all adsl

    >
    > It's the other way around.
    >
    > IHUG, Orcon, Slingshot etc sell UBS @ 256k directly to the customer. All
    > billing is done direct to the customer and you don't see anything on
    > your Telecom bill.
    >
    > The 2MB/s stuff (although I thought it went up as high as 8MB/s) is just
    > them reselling Telecom's plans in the old way. I'm not sure if you
    > still see a component on your Telecom bill with this or not.


    Doh!

    --

    Hardware, n.: The parts of a computer system that can be kicked
     
    Shane (aka froggy), Feb 22, 2005
    #12
  13. Bottle Boy

    EMB Guest

    Chris Hope wrote:

    > The 2MB/s stuff (although I thought it went up as high as 8MB/s) is just
    > them reselling Telecom's plans in the old way. I'm not sure if you
    > still see a component on your Telecom bill with this or not.


    Still billed at some outrageous rate from Telecom (and a token $10 or so
    from the ISP).



    --
    EMB
     
    EMB, Feb 22, 2005
    #13
  14. Bottle Boy

    Adam Guest

    On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 16:17:17 +1300, Bottle Boy wrote:

    >I've had enough of Orcon. I'm going to cancel my account with them. Can
    >someone recommend an ISP that offers the UBS service but with a a decent
    >quality of service?


    No-one has mentioned Maxnet ... yet.

    I've had a dial-up with them for 2 or 3 years and have just "upgraded"
    to UBS with them.

    Not sure how they compare with pricing (check their site) but the
    service is *very good*.

    I've always found them quick to respond, helpful and knowledgeable.
    Furthermore - they appear to have a good relationship with Telecom's
    engineers, so your problem doesn't get passed back & forth like a hot
    potato.

    Adam.
     
    Adam, Feb 22, 2005
    #14
  15. Bottle Boy

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Chris Hope <> wrote in news:cvea7s$6pm$1
    @lust.ihug.co.nz:

    >> had 2 outages. Why do you require UBS?

    >
    > Uncapped downloads. With the normal Jetstream plans you get bumped down
    > to 64k (unless this has recently changed) once you go past 10GB in a
    > month.
    >


    I would rather have slower speed than overage charges, but my ISP does not
    offer that option.

    --
    Ciao, Dave
     
    Dave Taylor, Feb 22, 2005
    #15
  16. Bottle Boy

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "Krazy Bob" <@.com> wrote in news:cAySd.3328$:

    >
    > What a about slingshot, $49 for unlimited on 256K plan
    > I assume its UBS,
    >


    This sounds good, I might give them a call. I wonder if it is possible to
    get this and still have TC do the phone line. NO Telecom in my house
    yet...

    --
    Ciao, Dave
     
    Dave Taylor, Feb 22, 2005
    #16
  17. Bottle Boy

    EMB Guest

    Dave Taylor wrote:

    > This sounds good, I might give them a call. I wonder if it is possible to
    > get this and still have TC do the phone line. NO Telecom in my house
    > yet...


    When I was talking to TC about reassigning some business phone lines
    last week they said there was no problem in leaving the ADSL with
    Telecom/Maxnet so you should be ok.


    --
    EMB
     
    EMB, Feb 22, 2005
    #17
  18. Bottle Boy

    Brendan Guest

    On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 16:35:29 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Changing their TOS now to compensate for a
    > crap product? The beginning of the end.


    What have they changed ?

    --

    .... Brendan

    "Among those whom I like or admire, I can find no common denominator, but among those whom I love, I can: all of them make me laugh." -- W. H. Auden

    Note: All my comments are copyright 23/02/2005 12:55:20 a.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
    http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
    ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----
     
    Brendan, Feb 22, 2005
    #18
  19. Bottle Boy

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Brendan wrote:
    > On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 16:35:29 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> Changing their TOS now to compensate for a
    >> crap product? The beginning of the end.

    >
    > What have they changed ?


    It's in this group somewhere. Basically they're saying that the quoted speed
    of the connection is a guideline only and also that they don't guarantee
    latency. They suggest 1,000ms one-way is reasonable but by no means as bad
    as it could get.

    They had no choice but to add this as the quality of the bandwidth Telescum
    is providing them, deliberately nerfed as far as latency goes, has forced
    them to cover their arses legally.
    --
    ~misfit~



    ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
    http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
    ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----
     
    ~misfit~, Feb 22, 2005
    #19
  20. Bottle Boy

    Gordon Smith Guest

    Chris Hope wrote:

    >
    >>had 2 outages. Why do you require UBS?

    >
    >
    > Uncapped downloads. With the normal Jetstream plans you get bumped down
    > to 64k (unless this has recently changed) once you go past 10GB in a
    > month.
    >


    Can't see capping going away. A service provider only has 2 choices when
    it comes to regulating their upstream bandwidth fairly - either putting
    data caps on customers, or charging them for excess data usage. Xtra has
    demonstrated how popular the second option is.....

    It all comes down to how much the customer pays though. If you're paying
    around $1400/month for a 2M DSL connection, you can have unlimited
    downloads. Thats committed bandwidth. If you don't want to pay that
    much, you share available bandwidth with other users. At that point,
    it's up to the service provider to make sure that it gets shared evenly
    between their users. It doesn't take many P2P sessions to cause a
    noticable impact on circuit utilisation.

    Personally, I prefer the data capping method. Telenor (Norway) did this,
    but also provided an option for heavy users where, if they hit their
    cap, they could log on to a website and purchase additional bandwidth if
    they required it. So costs are apportioned more fairly, and the customer
    has control of his/her connection.


    x-- 100 Proof News - http://www.100ProofNews.com
    x-- 3,500+ Binary NewsGroups, and over 90,000 other groups
    x-- Access to over 1 Terabyte per Day - $8.95/Month
    x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD
     
    Gordon Smith, Feb 22, 2005
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. AT
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    382
    Dave - Dave.net.nz
    Dec 15, 2004
  2. Bottle Boy
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    335
    The Other Guy
    Mar 2, 2005
  3. Pacific Dragon
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    368
    Pacific Dragon
    Apr 10, 2005
  4. Jamie Kahn Genet
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    313
    Have A Nice Cup of Tea
    Apr 28, 2006
  5. AKT
    Replies:
    52
    Views:
    3,754
    Kalman Rubinson
    Sep 2, 2009
Loading...

Share This Page