Ok only for smart people!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Fastmoggy, Jun 5, 2010.

  1. Fastmoggy

    Fastmoggy Guest

    Ok your my last hope?
    Im from the UK but thats not a bad fing?? and NO i dont own shares in an oil
    company!
    Ok heres my problem.
    Got a new netbook last week and so far had nothing but hassel trying to
    connect it ti my wireless network. Other computer hook up no probs!!

    It should connect no probs thats what samsung says but so far other than
    trying to set the settings manually ive had little luck but from no
    connection to connected to my wireless has taken some doing.
    Sortware used is widows XP home and a belkin wireless router set to WPA
    the IP on the net book is set at 169.254.53.210 so an AP address to connect
    to internet cafes/whatever?
    My router is set at 192.168.2.1
    Other settings i can quote but dns server is correct but alternative dns ive
    no idea what to put.
    My isp is Virgin media and so far customer support is about ziltch!

    I'll post the error message from the diaognostic tool which was all green
    but for these settings.
    Any help would at the very least get me back on the good side of the
    missus!!
    Ok here is the dianostic report>>
    >>> As posted elsewhere>>

    Ok so as per last night the netbook has connected to my wireless router,
    something it didn't do before so i must have got one setting right?
    When i do try to 'surf' after a few seconds i get the dns error bottom
    left-hand corner of page so at least i know what's stopping it but how to
    correct it is not as straight forward as i first thought.
    As for default gateway, yes i entered it from the information i got from
    router but still no joy.Just doing the network diagnostics
    The bottom line on the report says the wireless network key does not match
    the key settings on the wireless router or AP. Had a look (again) and both
    match.

    Ok here's what it says.

    action Automated repair: Renew IP address

    action Releasing the current IP address...

    action Successfully released the current IP address action

    Renewing the IP address... error Error renewing the IP address:

    The semaphore timeout period has expired.

    info AutoNet address detected: 169.254.53.210

    action Automated repair: Reset network connection

    action Disabling the network adapter

    action Enabling the network adapter

    info Network adapter successfully enabled

    info AutoNet address detected: 169.254.53.210 action Manual repair: Reboot
    modem info

    AutoNet address detected: 169.254.53.210 action Automated repair:

    Renew IP address

    action Releasing the current IP address...

    action Successfully released the current IP address

    action Renewing the IP address... error Error renewing the IP address: The
    semaphore timeout period has expired

    .. info AutoNet address detected: 169.254.53.210

    action Manual repair: Verify wireless network key info AutoNet address
    detected: 169.254.53.210

    action Automated repair: Renew IP address action Releasing the current IP
    address...

    action Successfully released the current IP address

    action Renewing the IP address... error Error renewing the IP address:

    The semaphore timeout period has expired. info AutoNet address detected:
    169.254.53.210

    info Redirecting user to support call

    Sorry if it's slightly disjointed..word 2007 not working without internet
    connection so saved to word pad.

    This is the only RED section in the report so maybe someone can see whats
    wrong.
    Failing that...just got myself a £200 door stop! LOL
    Fastmoggy, Jun 5, 2010

  2. Fastmoggy

    Fastmoggy Guest

    Oh i forgot to mention
    netbook SAMSUNG N130

    Fastmoggy, Jun 5, 2010

  3. Fastmoggy

    Mike Easter Guest

    Fastmoggy wrote:

    > Sortware used is widows XP home and a belkin wireless router set to WPA
    > the IP on the net book is set at 169.254.53.210 so an AP address to connect
    > to internet cafes/whatever?
    > My router is set at 192.168.2.1

    Your netbook isn't successfully acquiring an IP from the router. That
    169.x is an internal/default/failure IP for when it doesn't get one.

    Perhaps you don't have something configured correctly in XP. You should
    do your troubleshooting without any distance between the netbook and the
    router, like in the same room so that the signal will be strong.

    > Other settings i can quote but dns server is correct but alternative dns ive
    > no idea what to put.
    > My isp is Virgin media and so far customer support is about ziltch!

    ISP CS isn't in the business of maintaining or TSing a customer's LAN.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jun 5, 2010
  4. Fastmoggy

    Mike Easter Guest

    Fastmoggy wrote:
    > Oh i forgot to mention
    > netbook SAMSUNG N130

    Do you know how to turn on the Wireless LAN using the Fn key so that the
    wireless lan LED is lit?

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jun 5, 2010
  5. Fastmoggy, (British, but safe) said in

    > Ok your my last hope?
    > Im from the UK but thats not a bad fing?? and NO i dont own shares in an
    > oil company!
    > Ok heres my problem.
    > Got a new netbook last week and so far had nothing but hassel trying to
    > connect it ti my wireless network. Other computer hook up no probs!!
    >
    > It should connect no probs thats what samsung says but so far other than
    > trying to set the settings manually ive had little luck but from no
    > connection to connected to my wireless has taken some doing.
    > Sortware used is widows XP home and a belkin wireless router set to WPA
    > the IP on the net book is set at 169.254.53.210 so an AP address to
    > connect to internet cafes/whatever?
    > My router is set at 192.168.2.1
    > Other settings i can quote but dns server is correct but alternative dns
    > ive no idea what to put.
    > My isp is Virgin media and so far customer support is about ziltch!
    >
    > [...]

    It's probably in your "connections" settings.
    You should get your ISP's setup manual, or
    check one of the other machines on your LAN
    and duplicate those settings.

    Internet Options | Connections tab | LAN settings button

    Most leave all those un-selected... Some ISPs like to have
    you select "Automatically detect". From what you've said,
    there'd be no Proxy entries.

    Network Properties... right-click on your My Network Places;
    Right-click on Local Area Connection icon | Properties...
    Check your advanced tab, Settings button... does that
    match the rest of your working LAN? General tab, you
    likely should have "Client for Microsoft Networks" selected
    and "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" selected... highlight that
    one, and click the Properties button...

    The automatic options should most likely be selected, with no
    other entries in a default scenario...

    Again, many of these tweaks are determined by your ISP, and if
    you have any machine that is working correctly, double-check to
    insure that the settings on your new Netbook match in the above
    areas.

    HTH.

    --

    I AM Bucky Breeder, (*(^; ; and *NO*, "that"
    is NOT a Jedi Light-Sabre in my pocket; and

    Bucky Breeder, Jun 5, 2010
  6. Fastmoggy

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sat, 05 Jun 2010 22:39:04 +0100, Fastmoggy ÇʇoɹÊ:

    > 169.254.53.210

    169 is a default IP when a Microsoft DHCP client cannot get an IP address
    from a DHCP server. Your wireless isn't getting an internet IP address or
    a NAT routable IP from the wireless access point. Better check with the
    owner of the WAP for the correct settings.
    Meat Plow, Jun 5, 2010
  7. Fastmoggy

    Mike Easter Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > Fastmoggy wrote:
    >> Oh i forgot to mention
    >> netbook SAMSUNG N130

    > Do you know how to turn on the Wireless LAN using the Fn key so that the
    > wireless lan LED is lit?

    On the L front there is an array of 5 status indicators. The middle one
    is an antenna symbol, inverted triangle with a vertical line in the middle.

    The Fn + F9 key toggles that WLAN indicator on and off (and also toggles
    the wireless LAN function on/off).

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jun 5, 2010
  8. Fastmoggy

    Fastmoggy Guest

    Err yes

    Fastmoggy, Jun 5, 2010
  9. Fastmoggy

    Mike Easter Guest

    Fastmoggy wrote:
    > Err yes

    Why do you say 'Err yes' instead of 'yes of course' or 'I'm not sure' or
    'No'.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jun 5, 2010
  10. Fastmoggy

    Fastmoggy Guest

    > Fastmoggy wrote:
    >> Err yes

    > Why do you say 'Err yes' instead of 'yes of course' or 'I'm not sure' or
    > 'No'.

    Sorry...i thought id said that it is connected to the wireless network but
    from there no joy..a dns error im told

    Fastmoggy, Jun 5, 2010
  11. Fastmoggy

    Mike Easter Guest

    Fastmoggy wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"
    >>

    > Sorry...i thought id said that it is connected to the wireless network but
    > from there no joy..a dns error im told

    We aren't communicating yet. Is the WLAN status light whose position
    and appearance I described earlier lighted/lit/on or not?

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jun 5, 2010
  12. Fastmoggy

    Fastmoggy Guest

    > Fastmoggy wrote:
    >> "Mike Easter"
    >>>

    >> Sorry...i thought id said that it is connected to the wireless network
    >> but from there no joy..a dns error im told

    > We aren't communicating yet. Is the WLAN status light whose position and
    > appearance I described earlier lighted/lit/on or not?
    >

    > --
    > Mike Easter

    Yes
    Fastmoggy, Jun 5, 2010
  13. Fastmoggy

    Mike Easter Guest

    Fastmoggy wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"
    >>

    > Sorry...i thought id said that it is connected to the wireless network but
    > from there no joy..a dns error im told

    What is supposed to happen is that your wireless adapter is supposed to
    be able to talk to the router thru' its wireless access point which you
    can see when your wireless function is working by its SSID which is a
    name such as Belkin or whatever you have your router named.

    You have previously configured your Belkin router I assume to be WPA
    secure, which means that there is an authentication process between your
    netbook's WLAN and the router. Therefore it is necessary that the
    wireless on the notebook be properly configured to give the WPA password.

    When the Belkin and the Samsung have properly corresponded, then the
    Belkin will give the Samsung a *PROPER* IP address which proper IP
    address will be something like 192.168.2.xxx definitely *NOT* 169.anything.

    The 169 indicates that your Samsung's wireless condition is not
    performing something in the sequence I described above, so you/we have
    to figure out why that is. It starts with turning on the wireless, then
    it proceeds to troubleshooting being able to see the Belkin's SSID with
    your wireless software which might be XP's or it might be the developer
    of the wireless component of your netbook.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jun 5, 2010
  14. Fastmoggy

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2010-06-05, Fastmoggy <> wrote:

    [...]

    > Got a new netbook last week and so far had nothing but hassel trying to
    > connect it ti my wireless network. Other computer hook up no probs!!

    [...]

    Is the WiFi card on the netbook turned on? There may be a physical switch
    or button, or a Fn- key combination.

    If your router has 'MAC address control' in operation (a useful security
    measure, so it should) you will need to enter the MAC number of the
    netbook's WiFi card into the router's list of MAC numbers to 'Allow'.

    The WPA password has to match precisely, including capital and lower-case
    letters.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Jun 5, 2010
  15. Fastmoggy

    Mike Easter Guest

    Fastmoggy wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"
    >>

    > connected to the wireless network but
    > from there no joy..a dns error im told

    'Connected' is not a good term to be using at this point. It is not
    'connected' in a meaningful way. This is not a dns error at this time.
    You are not 'connected' to the router's network in the sense that you
    are a 'part of' the router's LAN/WLAN.

    When you are *really* a part of the router's network/lan/wlan, your
    netbook will have an IP address like 192.168.2.xxx -- *then* we'll be
    able to see whether or not you have any DNS problems.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jun 5, 2010
  16. Fastmoggy

    Mike Easter Guest

    Fastmoggy wrote:

    > Sortware used is widows XP home and a belkin wireless router set to WPA
    > the IP on the net book is set at 169.254.53.210 so an AP address to connect
    > to internet cafes/whatever?

    This sentence bothers me because you said the IP on the netbook is 'set
    at'. It bothers me because it is possible to *set* the netbook's IP
    which you should not be doing. The netbook should be configured to get
    an IP address automatically not be set on anything.

    It is one problem if the netbook 'assumes' such an IP address because it
    couldn't get a good/proper one. It is a different problem if you have
    *set* the netbook for that address.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jun 5, 2010
  17. Fastmoggy

    Mike Easter Guest

    Fastmoggy wrote:

    > Ok so as per last night the netbook has connected to my wireless router,
    > something it didn't do before so i must have got one setting right?

    Does this part mean that on the troubleshooting graphic for XP's
    wireless networks, the graphic shows your netbook connected to the
    router, but the graphic shows a red X between the router and the
    Internet? Or does that sentence with 'connected' in it mean something else?

    > When i do try to 'surf' after a few seconds i get the dns error bottom
    > left-hand corner of page so at least i know what's stopping it but how to
    > correct it is not as straight forward as i first thought.

    If the only kind of IP address you have is 169.xx and the router is
    giving out addresses from 192.168.2.x (where x = 2-254), then you
    haven't joined the router's LAN and you can't get nameservice for
    anything - which doesn't matter because you can't connect to the
    internet like that.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jun 6, 2010
  18. Fastmoggy

    Fastmoggy Guest

    > Fastmoggy wrote:
    >> "Mike Easter"
    >>>

    >> connected to the wireless network but from there no joy..a dns error im
    >> told

    > 'Connected' is not a good term to be using at this point. It is not
    > 'connected' in a meaningful way. This is not a dns error at this time.
    > You are not 'connected' to the router's network in the sense that you are
    > a 'part of' the router's LAN/WLAN.
    >
    > When you are *really* a part of the router's network/lan/wlan, your
    > netbook will have an IP address like 192.168.2.xxx -- *then* we'll be able
    > to see whether or not you have any DNS problems.
    >

    > --
    > Mike Easter

    Ok. i mentioned the dns error as maybe the problem because when i tried to
    go to a webpage i got the error message bottom left hand corner,
    The ip address is a little odd but is that something to do with wifi hot
    spots when out and about?
    The ip address of 192.168.2.xxx is what im trying to get.
    There are 2 computers on the network at the moment.
    I have tried updating the firmware for the router as there is an update for
    it but it only downloads a bin file which ive no idea how to open or use.

    Finally id just like to say thankyou for taking the time to try and steer me
    through this minefield of settings.
    Fastmoggy, Jun 6, 2010
  19. Fastmoggy

    Mike Easter Guest

    Fastmoggy wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"

    > The ip address is a little odd but is that something to do with wifi hot
    > spots when out and about?

    No; the 169 type IP address is what happens when you are configured to
    'get an IP address automatically' (which you *should* be so configured)
    and/but you /aren't/ getting an IP address (assigned from the router
    either as ethernet or wireless), so windows 'makes one up'.

    > The ip address of 192.168.2.xxx is what im trying to get.

    Correct. Besides the netbook's wireless needing to be turned on and
    configured, also the router's wireless needs to be turned on and
    configured. Have you done that? Do you know how to access the router's
    configuration page?

    > There are 2 computers on the network at the moment.

    Does that sentence mean that the computers are ethernet wired connected
    to the router or does it mean that either of the computers are accessing
    the router wirelessly. You have not adequately described several
    troubleshooting steps and information which are a part of connecting
    wirelessly. You have never said whether you can see the router's SSID.

    > I have tried updating the firmware for the router as there is an update for
    > it but it only downloads a bin file which ive no idea how to open or use.

    That firmware flashing business is not a step which should be taken
    lightly. There are all kinds of troubleshooting and configuration
    evaluations which should be done. Firmware flashing should *not* be
    done just because a newer v. is available. Sometimes when a router is
    being flashed, the flash does not 'go well' and the router 'becomes a
    brick' - which means that the router dies and isn't a router any more,
    but simply a mass which takes up space, like a brick.

    > Finally id just like to say thankyou for taking the time to try and steer me
    > through this minefield of settings.

    You are welcome; but we could do better if you were better able to
    describe some important elements of the netbook information.

    Configuration-wise, the router has to be able to do wireless and be
    configured for its security; the netbook has to be able to do wireless
    and be configured for its security, then the netbook has to
    satisfactorily acquire an IP address from the router which is 192
    instead of 169.

    Then the netbook is on/ connected to/ a part of/ the local network which
    local network is connected to the internet inside the router. Then the
    netbook will be able to have nameservice which will change an address
    name into an IP address and subsequently access a website with a browser.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jun 6, 2010
  20. Fastmoggy

    chuckcar Guest

    "Fastmoggy" <> wrote in

    > Oh i forgot to mention
    > netbook SAMSUNG N130
    > "Fastmoggy" <> wrote in message
    >> Ok your my last hope?
    >> Im from the UK but thats not a bad fing?? and NO i dont own shares in
    >> an oil company!
    >> Ok heres my problem.
    >> Got a new netbook last week and so far had nothing but hassel trying
    >> to connect it ti my wireless network. Other computer hook up no
    >> probs!!

    $200. You get what you pay for.

    Anyways. Try it with the netbook *right* beside your wireless router. That
    is in the same room and less than 5' away. If it doesn't work there, try it
    without using wireless with a RJ15 cable. If it doesn't work then and you
    know the cable is good, try a tracert just to make sure your connecting to
    *something.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Jun 6, 2010