    of box that plugs into the router, or a phone to plug into the router??.

    Any recommendations.

    Thanks in anticipation.
    PhilÅ, Aug 1, 2005

  2. PhilÅ

    PhilÅ Guest

    "PhilÅ" <> wrote in message
    news:mytHe.23894$...
    > Have just signed up with Sipgate..
    >
    > Nice and easy, I like the 1000 tariff at £5.90 this is half my current
    > line rental and is ample.
    >
    > Anyways.. I have not got a IP phone yet, and was going to try it out with
    > software on the PC, so where can you get calling software from, if any???
    >
    > And after this, I plan to connect either all my analogue phones to some
    > sort of box that plugs into the router, or a phone to plug into the
    > router??.
    >
    > Any recommendations.
    >
    > Thanks in anticipation.

    Have found x-lite, downloading
    PhilÅ, Aug 1, 2005

  3. PhilÅ

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "PhilÅ" <> wrote in message

    > "PhilÅ" <> wrote in message
    >> Have just signed up with Sipgate..
    >>
    >> Nice and easy, I like the 1000 tariff at £5.90 this is half my current
    >> line rental and is ample.
    >>
    >> Anyways.. I have not got a IP phone yet, and was going to try it out
    >> with software on the PC, so where can you get calling software from, if
    >> any???
    >>
    >> And after this, I plan to connect either all my analogue phones to some
    >> sort of box that plugs into the router, or a phone to plug into the
    >> router??.
    >>
    >> Any recommendations.
    >>
    >> Thanks in anticipation.
    >>

    > Have found x-lite, downloading

    X-Lite is fine as far as it goes, but if you really plan to use 1000
    minutes a month (and remember that tariff is not good value unless you do)
    then a hardware solution is far more satisfactory.

    There are several options for ATA's (adaptors), my personal favourite is
    the Sipura SPA-2000 which gives you two fully independent phone ports
    which can be configured with different service providers if you wish.

    Remember that if you don't use £5.90 of calls in a month (and unless
    you're running a business it's unlikely) then you're better off with the
    normal prepay option, assuming Sipgate, as there is no monthly charge for
    this.

    Also note that unless you are on cable and cancel your phone line with
    them, you will still have to pay BT for a line rental.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Aug 1, 2005
  4. PhilÅ

    Guest

    On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 18:08:18 GMT, "PhilÅ" <>
    wrote:

    >Have just signed up with Sipgate..
    >
    >Nice and easy, I like the 1000 tariff at £5.90 this is half my current line
    >rental and is ample.

    So did they charge you 5.99 or TEN POUNDS which they will charge you
    again next month or have they altered their robbing ways since I
    complained about this a week ago to my local trading standards office
    ..????????????????.
    , Aug 1, 2005
  5. PhilÅ

    PhilÅ Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 18:08:18 GMT, "PhilÅ" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Have just signed up with Sipgate..
    >>
    >>Nice and easy, I like the 1000 tariff at £5.90 this is half my current
    >>line
    >>rental and is ample.

    > So did they charge you 5.99 or TEN POUNDS which they will charge you
    > again next month or have they altered their robbing ways since I
    > complained about this a week ago to my local trading standards office
    > .????????????????.

    Opps, they have not got my bank details yet.. Should I be worried??
    PhilÅ, Aug 1, 2005
  6. PhilÅ

    PhilÅ Guest

    "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message

    > "PhilÅ" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "PhilÅ" <> wrote in message
    >>> Have just signed up with Sipgate..
    >>>
    >>> Nice and easy, I like the 1000 tariff at £5.90 this is half my current
    >>> line rental and is ample.
    >>>
    >>> Anyways.. I have not got a IP phone yet, and was going to try it out
    >>> with software on the PC, so where can you get calling software from, if
    >>> any???
    >>>
    >>> And after this, I plan to connect either all my analogue phones to some
    >>> sort of box that plugs into the router, or a phone to plug into the
    >>> router??.
    >>>
    >>> Any recommendations.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in anticipation.
    >>>

    >> Have found x-lite, downloading

    > X-Lite is fine as far as it goes, but if you really plan to use 1000
    > minutes a month (and remember that tariff is not good value unless you do)
    > then a hardware solution is far more satisfactory.
    >
    > There are several options for ATA's (adaptors), my personal favourite is
    > the Sipura SPA-2000 which gives you two fully independent phone ports
    > which can be configured with different service providers if you wish.
    >
    > Remember that if you don't use £5.90 of calls in a month (and unless
    > you're running a business it's unlikely) then you're better off with the
    > normal prepay option, assuming Sipgate, as there is no monthly charge for
    > this.
    >
    > Also note that unless you are on cable and cancel your phone line with
    > them, you will still have to pay BT for a line rental.
    >
    > Ivor

    Hi Ivor, have only had a quick look around your ata is around £75, but have
    found a Linksys PAP2 Phone Adapter with 2 Ports for Voice-over-IP
    for half that??. Appears to do the same?? Am I wrong?
    PhilÅ, Aug 1, 2005
  7. PhilÅ

    Graham Guest

    X-Lite available from www.xten.com
    or go straight to the download page here http://snipurl.com/4d1g

    --

    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%
    Graham, Aug 1, 2005
  8. PhilÅ

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "PhilÅ" <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > Hi Ivor, have only had a quick look around your ata is around £75, but
    > have found a Linksys PAP2 Phone Adapter with 2 Ports for Voice-over-IP
    > for half that??. Appears to do the same?? Am I wrong?

    I believe it's similar but I haven't tried one myself. Beware some of them
    are locked to Vonage.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Aug 1, 2005
  9. PhilÅ

    Ian Guest

    "PhilÅ" <> wrote in message

    > "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "PhilÅ" <> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> "PhilÅ" <> wrote in message

    if

    some

    > >> Have found x-lite, downloading

    > > X-Lite is fine as far as it goes, but if you really plan to use 1000
    > > minutes a month (and remember that tariff is not good value unless you

    do)
    > > then a hardware solution is far more satisfactory.
    > >
    > > There are several options for ATA's (adaptors), my personal favourite is
    > > the Sipura SPA-2000 which gives you two fully independent phone ports
    > > which can be configured with different service providers if you wish.
    > >
    > > Remember that if you don't use £5.90 of calls in a month (and unless
    > > you're running a business it's unlikely) then you're better off with the
    > > normal prepay option, assuming Sipgate, as there is no monthly charge

    for
    > > this.
    > >
    > > Also note that unless you are on cable and cancel your phone line with
    > > them, you will still have to pay BT for a line rental.
    > >
    > > Ivor

    > Hi Ivor, have only had a quick look around your ata is around £75, but

    have
    > found a Linksys PAP2 Phone Adapter with 2 Ports for Voice-over-IP
    > for half that??. Appears to do the same?? Am I wrong?

    Hi
    You should be seeing everone start to discount their old SPA2000 stock as
    the SPA2002 takes over and the 2000 is retired.

    Ian
    Ian, Aug 1, 2005
  10. PhilÅ

    PhilÅ Guest

    "Ian" <spam"AT"bathfordhill.co.uk> wrote in message

    > "PhilÅ" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > "PhilÅ" <> wrote in message

    > if

    > some

    >> > X-Lite is fine as far as it goes, but if you really plan to use 1000
    >> > minutes a month (and remember that tariff is not good value unless you

    > do)
    >> > then a hardware solution is far more satisfactory.
    >> >
    >> > There are several options for ATA's (adaptors), my personal favourite
    >> > is
    >> > the Sipura SPA-2000 which gives you two fully independent phone ports
    >> > which can be configured with different service providers if you wish.
    >> >
    >> > Remember that if you don't use £5.90 of calls in a month (and unless
    >> > you're running a business it's unlikely) then you're better off with
    >> > the
    >> > normal prepay option, assuming Sipgate, as there is no monthly charge

    > for
    >> > this.
    >> >
    >> > Also note that unless you are on cable and cancel your phone line with
    >> > them, you will still have to pay BT for a line rental.
    >> >
    >> > Ivor

    >> Hi Ivor, have only had a quick look around your ata is around £75, but

    > have
    >> found a Linksys PAP2 Phone Adapter with 2 Ports for Voice-over-IP
    >> for half that??. Appears to do the same?? Am I wrong?
    >>

    > Hi
    > You should be seeing everone start to discount their old SPA2000 stock as
    > the SPA2002 takes over and the 2000 is retired.
    >
    > Ian

    I have found a linksys one.

    I need to replace my router anyway, and have found this linksys one which is
    a wired and wireless router with 2 voip ports built in. Looks like it fixes
    2 problems I am trying to sort out this month..

    Just had a online live chat with linksys support to check a few things
    including xbox live compatibility. Looks great from what I can see.
    PhilÅ, Aug 1, 2005
  11. On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 19:17:22 GMT, "PhilÅ" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi Ivor, have only had a quick look around your ata is around £75, but have
    >found a Linksys PAP2 Phone Adapter with 2 Ports for Voice-over-IP
    >for half that??. Appears to do the same?? Am I wrong?

    no, tha tis indeed near-identical guts in a different package. Even if
    it wasn't the functionality is the same.

    Phil
    --
    Remember - Global Warming is only a weather forecast :)
    Phil Thompson, Aug 2, 2005
  12. PhilÅ wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    >
    >>On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 18:08:18 GMT, "PhilÅ" <>
    >>wrote:
    >>

    >>>Have just signed up with Sipgate..
    >>>
    >>>Nice and easy, I like the 1000 tariff at £5.90 this is half my current
    >>>line
    >>>rental and is ample.

    >>So did they charge you 5.99 or TEN POUNDS which they will charge you
    >>again next month or have they altered their robbing ways since I
    >>complained about this a week ago to my local trading standards office
    >>.????????????????.
    >>

    > Opps, they have not got my bank details yet.. Should I be worried??

    I wouldn't be, I'm sure this isn't a case of Dexter ignoring the minimum
    £10 top up in the (not) small print in the credit your account section
    (understandable when you consider handling fees charged for bank
    transfers/CC payments and the low-profit margin associated with this
    type of business), and that his account was credited with the remaining
    £4.10 but that he did indeed have a valid compaint.

    I can only speak from my experience, and by their terms and conditions I
    have never been overcharged for anything.
    Thomas Rankin, Aug 3, 2005
  13. PhilÅ

    Guest

    On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 17:26:32 GMT, Thomas Rankin
    <> wrote:

    >I wouldn't be, I'm sure this isn't a case of Dexter ignoring the minimum
    >£10 top up in the (not) small print in the credit your account section
    >(understandable when you consider handling fees charged for bank
    >transfers/CC payments and the low-profit margin associated with this
    >type of business), and that his account was credited with the remaining
    >£4.10 but that he did indeed have a valid compaint.

    I am not arguing about the 4.10 being credited Thomas the point is
    name me one other company or store that takes more money from its
    customers than the charge they require to be paid .
    I don't know if anyone noticed that Sipgate was down once more this
    afternoon for about 30 minutes between 3.30 and 4 pm thank God for
    Vonage .
    >I can only speak from my experience, and by their terms and conditions I
    >have never been overcharged for anything.

    Neither have I but the fact remains that they have still got 3.20 of
    my money out of the 4.10 that they " borrowed" and I would dearly love
    to get rid of Sipgate for good .
    , Aug 5, 2005
  14. wrote:
    > On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 17:26:32 GMT, Thomas Rankin
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>I wouldn't be, I'm sure this isn't a case of Dexter ignoring the minimum
    >>£10 top up in the (not) small print in the credit your account section
    >>(understandable when you consider handling fees charged for bank
    >>transfers/CC payments and the low-profit margin associated with this
    >>type of business), and that his account was credited with the remaining
    >>£4.10 but that he did indeed have a valid compaint.

    > I am not arguing about the 4.10 being credited Thomas

    I've never heard you mention that you were credited the difference, this
    is all covered in sipgates terms and conditions.

    > the point is
    > name me one other company or store that takes more money from its
    > customers than the charge they require to be paid .
    > I don't know if anyone noticed that Sipgate was down once more this
    > afternoon for about 30 minutes between 3.30 and 4 pm thank God for
    > Vonage .

    Was fine here, the boy was using it all day. (looking at cdr, including
    the time syou state).

    (has managed to rack up nearly 400 mins since the 30th talking to his GF).

    Of course my connection to sipgate doesn't require using their STUN
    server, so maybe that's why I seem to have more luck.

    >>I can only speak from my experience, and by their terms and conditions I
    >>have never been overcharged for anything.

    > Neither have I but the fact remains that they have still got 3.20 of
    > my money out of the 4.10 that they " borrowed" and I would dearly love
    > to get rid of Sipgate for good .

    I can understand why they do it, they'll be charged generally around 50p
    a transaction charge when paying money into their account, and since
    they don't make a vast profit on each transaction it is only fair enough
    that they don't want people transferring pennies into their account.
    Thomas Rankin, Aug 5, 2005