Oil drilling rigg

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Rene, Jul 15, 2003.

  1. Rene

    Rene Guest

    Dear Usenetters,

    I have placed a new photo om my site of the largest oil drilling rigg
    in the world, at the moment nearing completion in the Rotterdam
    harbour.

    http://www.rharte.nl/images/fotoindex_main.html

    (Klick on 'Objecten')

    However impressive subject, the photo seems somewhat 'flat'.
    This is mostly due to the fact that this thing is completely grey and
    was bading in sunshine, which quite flattens the histogram.

    Do you have any tips or tricks how to produce a photo with
    enough contrast under such circumstances? No filters were
    used, and the sun was at the photographers '8 o'clock' (there
    were not much angles to choose from, taking the picture)

    The rigg is stuffed with lights, so I'm going back to try and make
    a colour photo by night or by dusk....

    Grtx,

    Rene
    Rene, Jul 15, 2003

  2. Rene

    Charlie D Guest

    "Rene" <> wrote:
    http://www.rharte.nl/images/fotoindex_main.html

    > However impressive subject, the photo seems somewhat 'flat'.
    > This is mostly due to the fact that this thing is completely grey and
    > was bading in sunshine, which quite flattens the histogram.

    I can't see anything you could do to it. It covers all the tonal values.
    As you said, the lighting was flat. I think it looks very good.

    As you know, different lighting conditions will light it in different
    ways. Keep going back. I'd like to see it lit up at night.

    Please let us know and name the post oill rig or something similar so
    we'll know.

    You have a lot of other nice shots there too. You have a good eye.

    Thanks for posting
    Charlie

    --
    Charlie Dilks
    Newark, DE USA
    Charlie D, Jul 15, 2003

  3. Charlie D wrote:
    > "Rene" <> wrote:
    > http://www.rharte.nl/images/fotoindex_main.html
    >

    >>However impressive subject, the photo seems somewhat 'flat'.
    >>This is mostly due to the fact that this thing is completely grey and
    >>was bading in sunshine, which quite flattens the histogram.

    > I can't see anything you could do to it. It covers all the tonal values.
    > As you said, the lighting was flat. I think it looks very good.

    I pretty much agree. If a different viewpoint was possible, a view from
    a hundred or two metres to one side may help by not being so square on.

    The problem areas for me are the rather muddy expanses of dark grey of
    the legs. I'd be inclined to play around with selecting such areas and
    fiddling with the levels to try to break them up a bit.

    I don't know how the conversion to greyscale was done, but checking the
    three colour channels seperately in Photoshop and then only using, say,
    the red channel might open up some possibilities. Then again, perhaps
    that's what he already did.
    Willy Eckerslyke, Jul 15, 2003
  4. Rene

    Rene Guest

    "Charlie D" <> schreef in bericht
    > "Rene" <> wrote:
    > http://www.rharte.nl/images/fotoindex_main.html
    >
    > > However impressive subject, the photo seems somewhat 'flat'.
    > > This is mostly due to the fact that this thing is completely grey and
    > > was bading in sunshine, which quite flattens the histogram.

    > I can't see anything you could do to it. It covers all the tonal values.
    > As you said, the lighting was flat. I think it looks very good.
    >
    > As you know, different lighting conditions will light it in different
    > ways. Keep going back. I'd like to see it lit up at night.
    >
    > Please let us know and name the post oill rig or something similar so
    > we'll know.

    I'm planning on going tonite although it is a stunning 30+ degrees
    here; not very inviting for carrying my stuff around ;-)

    > You have a lot of other nice shots there too. You have a good eye.

    Tanx for the compliment, Charlie! It's well appreciated....

    Rene
    Rene, Jul 15, 2003
  5. Rene

    Rene Guest

    "Willy Eckerslyke" <> schreef in bericht
    > Charlie D wrote:
    > > "Rene" <> wrote:
    > > http://www.rharte.nl/images/fotoindex_main.html
    > >

    > >>However impressive subject, the photo seems somewhat 'flat'.
    > >>This is mostly due to the fact that this thing is completely grey and
    > >>was bading in sunshine, which quite flattens the histogram.

    > > I can't see anything you could do to it. It covers all the tonal values.
    > > As you said, the lighting was flat. I think it looks very good.

    > I pretty much agree. If a different viewpoint was possible, a view from
    > a hundred or two metres to one side may help by not being so square on.
    >
    > The problem areas for me are the rather muddy expanses of dark grey of
    > the legs. I'd be inclined to play around with selecting such areas and
    > fiddling with the levels to try to break them up a bit.
    >
    > I don't know how the conversion to greyscale was done, but checking the
    > three colour channels seperately in Photoshop and then only using, say,
    > the red channel might open up some possibilities. Then again, perhaps
    > that's what he already did.

    That is exactly what i played around with. The funny thing is, and I have
    been wanting to post this question: the red channel always seems much
    more noisy than the other two channels. Is there a particular reason for
    that? Is it just my camera (sony f707), or is it something most CCD's
    have? Or am i just crazy? ;-)

    As a result, I always put in more green and reduce red, to get a noise-free
    B&W-picture. What I didn't try yet is convert to Lab and delete a and b
    channel to leave pure luminance... I'll try that!

    Tanx for the feedback!

    Rene
    Rene, Jul 15, 2003
  6. Rene

    Peter Jones Guest

    Nice photograph! Contrast Masking, a little gamma and some
    Unsharpening Mask bring it up beautifully. Search this newsgroup with
    Google to read more about how to do Contrast Masking.

    Peter

    On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 11:14:20 +0200, "Rene" <> wrote:

    >Dear Usenetters,
    >
    >I have placed a new photo om my site of the largest oil drilling rigg
    >in the world, at the moment nearing completion in the Rotterdam
    >harbour.
    >
    >http://www.rharte.nl/images/fotoindex_main.html
    >
    >(Klick on 'Objecten')
    >
    >However impressive subject, the photo seems somewhat 'flat'.
    >This is mostly due to the fact that this thing is completely grey and
    >was bading in sunshine, which quite flattens the histogram.
    >
    >Do you have any tips or tricks how to produce a photo with
    >enough contrast under such circumstances? No filters were
    >used, and the sun was at the photographers '8 o'clock' (there
    >were not much angles to choose from, taking the picture)
    >
    >The rigg is stuffed with lights, so I'm going back to try and make
    >a colour photo by night or by dusk....
    >
    >Grtx,
    >
    >Rene

    Digital Photography Reference
    http://members.shaw.ca/jonespm2/PJDigPhot.htm
    Touchup, an image viewing applet (also shows EXIF)
    http://members.shaw.ca/jonespm2/software.htm
    Health, happiness and healing
    http://www.SuperNaturalWoman.com
    Peter Jones, Jul 15, 2003
  7. Rene

    Rene Guest

    "Peter Jones" <> schreef in bericht
    > Nice photograph! Contrast Masking, a little gamma and some
    > Unsharpening Mask bring it up beautifully. Search this newsgroup with
    > Google to read more about how to do Contrast Masking.

    I will! thanx!

    Rene
    Rene, Jul 15, 2003
  8. Rene

    Angry Angel Guest

    On 15/7/03 6:47 pm, "J. A. Mc." <> wrote:

    > You definitely don't want to come to Laughlin, NV - it was 60* there
    > yesterday! Yes - converted to Celsius! A full 128 F !!!

    (Sorry for the bodged reply before). 128°F is actually 53.3°C, but still
    quite warm :)
    Angry Angel, Jul 15, 2003