    their uses within Network Management.

    Regards
    Ayanda

    Ayanda Madyibi, Jul 21, 2004

  2. 'Quotes from Cisco.com'

    Management Information Base. Database of network management information that
    is used and maintained by a network management protocol, such as SNMP or
    CMIP. The value of a MIB object can be changed or retrieved using SNMP or
    CMIP commands, usually through a GUI network management system. MIB objects
    are organized in a tree structure that includes public (standard) and
    private (proprietary) branches.

    Object IDentifier. Values are defined in specific MIB modules. The Event MIB
    allows a user or an NMS to watch over specified objects and to set event
    triggers based on existence, threshold, and boolean tests. An event occurs
    when a trigger is fired; this means that a specified test on an object
    returns a value of true. To create a trigger, a user or an NMS configures a
    trigger entry in the mteTriggerTable of the Event MIB. This trigger entry
    specifies the OID of the object to be watched. For each trigger entry type,
    corresponding tables (existence, threshold, and boolean tables) are
    populated with the information required for carrying out the test. The MIB
    can be configured so that when triggers are activated (fired) either an SNMP
    Set is performed, a notification is sent out to the interested host, or
    both.

    Simon Marsden, Jul 21, 2004