Oh the grain of it

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Pat, Sep 10, 2007.

  1. Pat

    Pat Guest

    Pat, Sep 10, 2007

  2. Pat

    UC Guest

    On Sep 10, 12:02 pm, Pat <> wrote:
    > I was looking at our local newspaper. Here's the link to some of
    > their sports photos. They must be intentionally putting grain into
    > the thumbnails (and maybe the larger pictures). Some of them are even
    > daylight shots.
    >
    > http://www.oleantimesherald.com/shared-content/gallery/?galleryid=3&g...

    Probably camera noise from a digital camera set at very high ISO.
    UC, Sep 10, 2007

  3. Pat

    just bob Guest

    Looks like he's got a noisy-at-high-ISO camera but also the tool used to
    create the thumbnails is making it look worse.

    just bob, Sep 10, 2007
  4. Pat

    G.T. Guest

    UC wrote:
    > On Sep 10, 12:02 pm, Pat <> wrote:
    >> I was looking at our local newspaper. Here's the link to some of
    >> their sports photos. They must be intentionally putting grain into
    >> the thumbnails (and maybe the larger pictures). Some of them are even
    >> daylight shots.
    >>
    >> http://www.oleantimesherald.com/shared-content/gallery/?galleryid=3&g...

    > Probably camera noise from a digital camera set at very high ISO.

    I don't know. Browsing more of the user submitted photos there it looks
    like they're doing something horrible to the photos before putting them
    up on the website.

    Greg

    --
    Ticketmaster and Ticketweb suck, but everyone knows that:
    http://www.ticketmastersucks.org

    Dethink to survive - Mclusky
    G.T., Sep 10, 2007
  5. Swanning about, Sep 10, 2007
  6. Pat

    dadiOH Guest

    Pat wrote:
    > I was looking at our local newspaper. Here's the link to some of
    > their sports photos. They must be intentionally putting grain into
    > the thumbnails (and maybe the larger pictures). Some of them are
    > even daylight shots.

    Texture screen (the digital equivalent of it), not grain.

    --

    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
    dadiOH, Sep 10, 2007
  7. Pat

    timeOday Guest

    UC wrote:
    > On Sep 10, 12:02 pm, Pat <> wrote:
    >
    >>I was looking at our local newspaper. Here's the link to some of
    >>their sports photos. They must be intentionally putting grain into
    >>the thumbnails (and maybe the larger pictures). Some of them are even
    >>daylight shots.
    >>
    >>http://www.oleantimesherald.com/shared-content/gallery/?galleryid=3&g...

    > Probably camera noise from a digital camera set at very high ISO.

    Clearly the photographer is submitting his work to the paper via FAX.
    timeOday, Sep 11, 2007
  8. Pat

    Somebody Guest

    "Swanning about" <> wrote in message
    > It might be to stop the photos being downloaded and reused.
    >

    > "Pat" <> wrote in message
    >>I was looking at our local newspaper. Here's the link to some of
    >> their sports photos. They must be intentionally putting grain into
    >> the thumbnails (and maybe the larger pictures). Some of them are even
    >> daylight shots.
    >>
    >> http://www.oleantimesherald.com/sha...eryid=3&gallery_page=0&album_page=0&albumid=7

    That is my guess. This doesn't look like High ISO noise to me. It is far to
    uniform. Like someone is running the Photoshop noise filter on it in
    monochrome mode. It is a very good way to keep people from wanting to steal
    them and with that amount of noise most noise reduction programs will just
    screw the picture to remove it. They won't enlarge well. Outside of turning
    thieves off the only other thing it does do is make the image files larger.
    JPGs with that amount of noise isn't going to compress worth a shit.

    Somebody!
    Somebody, Sep 11, 2007
  9. Pat

    Pat Guest

    On Sep 10, 8:04 pm, "Somebody" <> wrote:
    > "Swanning about" <> wrote in message

    > > It might be to stop the photos being downloaded and reused.

    > > "Pat" <> wrote in message
    > >>I was looking at our local newspaper. Here's the link to some of
    > >> their sports photos. They must be intentionally putting grain into
    > >> the thumbnails (and maybe the larger pictures). Some of them are even
    > >> daylight shots.

    > >>http://www.oleantimesherald.com/shared-content/gallery/?galleryid=3&g...

    > That is my guess. This doesn't look like High ISO noise to me. It is far to
    > uniform. Like someone is running the Photoshop noise filter on it in
    > monochrome mode. It is a very good way to keep people from wanting to steal
    > them and with that amount of noise most noise reduction programs will just
    > screw the picture to remove it. They won't enlarge well. Outside of turning
    > thieves off the only other thing it does do is make the image files larger.
    > JPGs with that amount of noise isn't going to compress worth a shit.
    >
    > Somebody!

    I didn't check, but I wonder if that's just a case of color separation
    gone bad.
    Pat, Sep 11, 2007
  10. Pat

    Bigguy Guest

    Pat wrote:
    > I was looking at our local newspaper. Here's the link to some of
    > their sports photos. They must be intentionally putting grain into
    > the thumbnails (and maybe the larger pictures). Some of them are even
    > daylight shots.
    >
    > http://www.oleantimesherald.com/sha...eryid=3&gallery_page=0&album_page=0&albumid=7

    It is absent in the well-lit outdoor soccer shots and most noticeable in
    the lower light stuff; this suggests it is high ISO camera noise (or
    different cameras were used)...

    Thumbnails should be noise free due to downsizing/averaging - maybe they
    were simple pixel resizes without 'smart' interpolation/averaging?

    Guy
    Bigguy, Sep 11, 2007
  11. Bad scans from color newspaper pictures [nt]

    nt.
    Markus Fuenfrocken, Sep 11, 2007
  12. Pat <> wrote:
    > I was looking at our local newspaper. Here's the link to some of
    > their sports photos. They must be intentionally putting grain into
    > the thumbnails (and maybe the larger pictures). Some of them are even
    > daylight shots.

    > http://www.oleantimesherald.com/sha...eryid=3&gallery_page=0&album_page=0&albumid=7

    And it's not as if you couldn't do something against the
    noise. Taking
    http://www.oleantimesherald.com/con...bum_7/midsize_photo46e0287277c58464241087.jpg
    as a very quick, no extra work, example:
    http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/3459216/1/194408656
    Why, oh why do people insist on watermarks and noise?

    (Conspiracy: Maybe because the noise hides AF errors?)

    -Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Sep 11, 2007
  13. Pat

    half Guest

    On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 09:02:07 -0700, Pat
    <> wrote:

    >I was looking at our local newspaper. Here's the link to some of
    >their sports photos. They must be intentionally putting grain into
    >the thumbnails (and maybe the larger pictures). Some of them are even
    >daylight shots.
    >
    >http://www.oleantimesherald.com/sha...eryid=3&gallery_page=0&album_page=0&albumid=7

    Newspapers aren't all they're cracked up to be these days. I doubt
    they spend much money on photographers and I suspect their hiring
    criteria isn't based on technological expertise as much as political
    bent and length of tongue.
    half , Sep 15, 2007
  14. Pat

    Charlie Self Guest

    On Sep 10, 12:02 pm, Pat <> wrote:
    > I was looking at our local newspaper. Here's the link to some of
    > their sports photos. They must be intentionally putting grain into
    > the thumbnails (and maybe the larger pictures). Some of them are even
    > daylight shots.
    >
    > http://www.oleantimesherald.com/shared-content/gallery/?galleryid=3&g...

    It could simply be like our local weekly: no one there knows how to
    use a camera; they use the cheapest they can find; they won't pay for
    a class for anyone there (which would be pointless anyway, with their
    gear).
    Charlie Self, Sep 16, 2007
  15. Pat

    Jeff R. Guest

    "Charlie Self" <> wrote in message
    > On Sep 10, 12:02 pm, Pat <> wrote:
    >> I was looking at our local newspaper. Here's the link to some of
    >> their sports photos. They must be intentionally putting grain into
    >> the thumbnails (and maybe the larger pictures). Some of them are even
    >> daylight shots.
    >>
    >> http://www.oleantimesherald.com/shared-content/gallery/?galleryid=3&g...

    > It could simply be like our local weekly: no one there knows how to
    > use a camera; they use the cheapest they can find; they won't pay for
    > a class for anyone there (which would be pointless anyway, with their
    > gear).

    Ever made a thumbnail for a web page?
    They *need* sharpening, or they will turn out mushy and dull.

    The paper in question just hit the "sharpen" button once too often - but who
    cares? A thumbnail is not meant to be a work of technical brilliance.

    --
    Jeff R.
    Jeff R., Sep 16, 2007
  16. Pat

    G.T. Guest

    Jeff R. wrote:
    > "Charlie Self" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sep 10, 12:02 pm, Pat <> wrote:
    >>> I was looking at our local newspaper. Here's the link to some of
    >>> their sports photos. They must be intentionally putting grain into
    >>> the thumbnails (and maybe the larger pictures). Some of them are even
    >>> daylight shots.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.oleantimesherald.com/shared-content/gallery/?galleryid=3&g...

    >> It could simply be like our local weekly: no one there knows how to
    >> use a camera; they use the cheapest they can find; they won't pay for
    >> a class for anyone there (which would be pointless anyway, with their
    >> gear).

    > Ever made a thumbnail for a web page?
    > They *need* sharpening, or they will turn out mushy and dull.
    >
    > The paper in question just hit the "sharpen" button once too often - but who
    > cares? A thumbnail is not meant to be a work of technical brilliance.

    I make thumbnails all the time by only downsizing. None of them look
    that bad.

    Greg

    G.T., Sep 17, 2007