Oh oh.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, Jan 24, 2012.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    1. Advertising

  2. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    On 1/24/2012 3:01 PM, RichA wrote:
    > http://www.amateurphotographer.co.u...at_after_shock_ruling_update_news_311191.html

    The rules haven't changed. you just didn't know, or understand them.
    In the US if I register the name "RichA" in connection with the sale of
    crumb buns, nobody else can use that name in connection with the sale of
    crumb buns. There is nothing to prevent anyone else from using the name
    in connection with a column that reports matters inaccurately.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Jan 24, 2012

  3. PeterN <> writes:

    > On 1/24/2012 3:01 PM, RichA wrote:
    >> http://www.amateurphotographer.co.u...at_after_shock_ruling_update_news_311191.html
    >>

    > The rules haven't changed. you just didn't know, or understand them.
    > In the US if I register the name "RichA" in connection with the sale
    > of crumb buns, nobody else can use that name in connection with the
    > sale of crumb buns. There is nothing to prevent anyone else from using
    > the name in connection with a column that reports matters
    > inaccurately.

    Yes.

    Well; I don't have the list in front of me, but I don't think "crumb
    buns" is one of the categories. :)

    There's an official list of market segments, and you register a
    trademark in that segment (and that segment only), and trademarks only
    conflict when they're within a segment.

    (Note that this is *US* trademark law.)
    --
    David Dyer-Bennet, ; http://dd-b.net/
    Dragaera: http://dragaera.info
    David Dyer-Bennet, Jan 24, 2012
  4. RichA

    Guest

    , Jan 25, 2012
  5. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    Elliott Roper <> wrote:
    >In article <>, bugbear
    ><bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote:
    >
    >> RichA wrote:
    >> >
    >> > http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/Photographers_face_copyright_threa
    >> > t_after_shock_ruling_update_news_311191.html
    >> >

    >> Looks like photographers not only SHOULD be creative and original,
    >> they're now legally obliged to be.
    >>
    >> Not seeing a problem here.

    >Quite right!
    >
    >You can see why the judge had to rule that way. Not only was it an
    >outrageous rip off of the mono background treatment, the tea company
    >had to be punished for egregious composition.
    >
    >Calling themselves "New England Teas"? Into the slammer they go for
    >lack of respect for leftpondian sensibilities.
    >
    >Wouldn't it be fun if a high viz jacketed jobsworth popped out from
    >under Westminster bridge and said "You can't take that photograph! The
    >diagonals are wrong and where is the foreground interest to give it
    >scale?"

    I can imagine an unholy battle erupting if the copyright holder went
    to any of the London markets where superficially similar spot colour
    London bus/taxi/call_box/tourist_attraction juxtapositions are sold in
    large numbers.

    Now I feel like a cup of tea. ;-)
    Bruce, Jan 25, 2012
  6. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    Elliott Roper <> wrote:
    >In article <>, Bruce
    ><> wrote:
    >>
    >> I can imagine an unholy battle erupting if the copyright holder went
    >> to any of the London markets where superficially similar spot colour
    >> London bus/taxi/call_box/tourist_attraction juxtapositions are sold in
    >> large numbers.
    >>
    >> Now I feel like a cup of tea. ;-)

    >Would that be with milk and sugar sir? And may we reduce the saturation
    >in the background?

    I don't know why those prints sell so well. They are so
    overwhelmingly clich├ęd. But they well to London's tourists, to people
    from other parts of the UK as well as those from overseas.
    Bruce, Jan 26, 2012