    have become infected with snippets of gay porn - dare I lend the
    neighbour anything to watch. :) Am I doing something which might be
    causing this to happen?
    pystol, Nov 3, 2009

  2. pystol

    Richard Guest

    pystol wrote:
    > ..I have some VERY gay porn (well one that I know of) starting off
    > with all male action and ending with a part episode of The Forsyte
    > Sage. How the **** does that happen? I notice some of TFS files have a
    > zero file size and at least one of them has competely replaced another
    > movie on the drive. Now I'm worried that some of my mainstream movies
    > have become infected with snippets of gay porn - dare I lend the
    > neighbour anything to watch. :) Am I doing something which might be
    > causing this to happen?

    Last time I saw that was when a drive was formatted fat and uncleanly
    disconnected after copying stuff to it. Made a right mess of lots on it.

    But noone uses fat32 these days so I doubt its that. Hell, drives dont
    even come formatted with it.
    Richard, Nov 3, 2009

  3. pystol

    peterwn Guest

    On Nov 3, 11:21 pm, Richard <> wrote:
    > pystol wrote:
    > > ..I have some VERY gay porn (well one that I know of) starting off
    > > with all male action and ending with a part episode of The Forsyte
    > > Sage. How the **** does that happen? I notice some of TFS files have a
    > > zero file size and at least one of them has competely replaced another
    > > movie on the drive. Now I'm worried that some of my mainstream movies
    > > have become infected with snippets of gay porn - dare I lend the
    > > neighbour anything to watch. :) Am I doing something which might be
    > > causing this to happen?

    > Last time I saw that was when a drive was formatted fat and uncleanly
    > disconnected after copying stuff to it. Made a right mess of lots on it.

    There is a chain of pointers to each 'cluster' (1 - 8 k or so) in the
    fat table and the table is updated after writing a file. If the drive
    is unplugged before that operation is complete you can end up with a
    corrupted fat table which may be pointing to clusters carrying
    irrevelant information.

    You should always go through the proper protocol when unplugging a
    memory stick, external hard drive, etc. Or at the very least pause for
    several seconds after a likely write operation has finished to allow
    any 'finishing up' operations to occur.

    There is another thing to be careful of. Terminate programs properly.
    Do not switch off the computer while they are running or 'crash' out
    of them (eg using ctrl-c or ctl-alt-del and killing). Some programs
    write to output but do not 'close' the output stream until it is ended
    in the normal way. If ended abnormally, some data may still be in
    memory buffer and not written to the HD, stick, etc and will be lost
    as well as possibly leaving a mashed up file system.
    peterwn, Nov 3, 2009