oh no, gas

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by LouisB, Apr 29, 2006.

  1. LouisB

    LouisB Guest

    I started out thinking about upgrading my Casio Z40 to a more recent and
    better spec'd digital compact. I was thinking about either the Canon Ixus 60
    or the Panasonic FX01.

    Problem is, now I've been looking and thanks to posts here I'm getting
    interested in keeping the Z40 for convenience and getting a proper DSLR.

    I gave up photography as a hobby about 20 years ago because it was an
    incredible pain to take photos, then get them developed, then choose what to
    reprint, then get some blown up.......... you get the picture. Now that you
    can literally take home the shots, sit in front of your PC and do what you
    want in the privacy of your own home, well it makes owning a decent SLR
    worthwhile again.

    The newly priced Nikon D50 sounds ideal - especially at the new sub £400
    price in the UK. I think I'd actually go for the 18mm-70mm bundle just so I
    have pretty much a full working range of possibilities in one lens. The only
    thing that puts me off is the "entry level SLR" monica. Is a camera like
    this really for newbs? It seems to have the most incredible and complex
    array of auto and manual features - a helluva lot more than the last
    conventional 35mm Nikon SLR I owned.

    Anyway, thanks to this group my interest is reawakened even if my bank
    balance won't thank me for it.

    LouisB
    ------
    "I'm a half-wit. I sold the other half on e-Bay"
    LouisB, Apr 29, 2006

  2. LouisB

    Pete D Guest

    Main difference in the "entry level" D-SLR's is that some features are only
    accessable via the menu and not via a dedicated button, in almost all cases
    they are every bit as good as their more expensive siblings. Some will think
    that this is actually a great idea because you don't actually change lots of
    settings all the time. Some of the "entry level" D-SLR's also use SD memory
    cards instead of CF, some see this as a problem, some just say yippee it
    will fit in my 1DsMkii when I get it.

    Cheers.

    Pete

    Pete D, Apr 29, 2006

  3. Ï "LouisB" <> Ýãñáøå óôï ìÞíõìá
    > I started out thinking about upgrading my Casio Z40 to a more recent and
    > better spec'd digital compact. I was thinking about either the Canon Ixus

    60
    > or the Panasonic FX01.
    >
    > Problem is, now I've been looking and thanks to posts here I'm getting
    > interested in keeping the Z40 for convenience and getting a proper DSLR.
    >
    > I gave up photography as a hobby about 20 years ago because it was an
    > incredible pain to take photos, then get them developed, then choose what

    > reprint, then get some blown up.......... you get the picture. Now that

    you
    > can literally take home the shots, sit in front of your PC and do what you
    > want in the privacy of your own home, well it makes owning a decent SLR
    > worthwhile again.
    >
    > The newly priced Nikon D50 sounds ideal - especially at the new sub £400
    > price in the UK. I think I'd actually go for the 18mm-70mm bundle just so

    > have pretty much a full working range of possibilities in one lens. The

    only
    > thing that puts me off is the "entry level SLR" monica. Is a camera like
    > this really for newbs? It seems to have the most incredible and complex
    > array of auto and manual features - a helluva lot more than the last
    > conventional 35mm Nikon SLR I owned.
    >
    > Anyway, thanks to this group my interest is reawakened even if my bank
    > balance won't thank me for it.

    What is even better on digital still cameras is the ability to easily delete
    bad shots-not having to pay 11 euros to process a whole 36 exp roll just for
    a couple of good shots.Although for "entry level" I would not recommend you
    a dSLR but a good P&S (point and shoot).They are much more compact, user
    friendly and you don't have to hassle with external flash units, large zoom
    lenses etc.The last time I looked to a local shop's window I saw an 7.2 MP
    camera for just 260 euros,(Don't remember brand and model).

    --
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
    542nd mechanized infantry batallion
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios, Apr 29, 2006
  4. Louis,
    If you've used a film SLR previously you will love the DSLRs. I have a
    Nikon D70s and often wonder if a D50 would have been just as good. The
    improvement of speed of autofocus over a compact and speed of manual
    zooming, change to AP mode etc. all make a DSLR worth the change. The
    18-70mm lens is great too. For more distant shots you have sufficient
    quality to crop in on the computer. Go for it and good luck.

    Cheers,

    Geoff.

    Geoff. Hayward, Apr 29, 2006
  5. LouisB

    Bill Guest

    LouisB wrote:

    >I gave up photography as a hobby about 20 years ago
    >
    >The newly priced Nikon D50 sounds ideal - especially at the new sub £400
    >price in the UK. I think I'd actually go for the 18mm-70mm bundle just so I
    >have pretty much a full working range of possibilities in one lens.

    That would be an excellent choice. The D50 works very well, and the
    Nikon 18-70mm is a very good lense with great optics - well worth the
    added cost over the "kit" lense.

    You will notice it vignettes a bit when the aperture is wide open, but
    stopping down a notch or two fixes it. Other than that, it's sharp,
    contrasty, and covers a good range for a "walk around" lense.

    > The only
    >thing that puts me off is the "entry level SLR" monica. Is a camera like
    >this really for newbs? It seems to have the most incredible and complex
    >array of auto and manual features - a helluva lot more than the last
    >conventional 35mm Nikon SLR I owned.

    Since you've already used Nikon bodies, the D50 will likely feel
    familiar to you when you start using it.

    Don't worry about the entry level status - the camera takes pictures
    just as well as any of its larger siblings. The difference is a few
    controls and features...nothing major though. In fact, the sensor in the
    D50 is actually a bit better than the D70s for noise levels, although
    the D70s seems to capture a bit more detail. It's a trade-off I guess.
    Bill, Apr 29, 2006
  6. LouisB

    Don Stauffer Guest

    Bill wrote:
    >>thing that puts me off is the "entry level SLR" monica. Is a camera like
    >>this really for newbs? It seems to have the most incredible and complex
    >>array of auto and manual features - a helluva lot more than the last
    >>conventional 35mm Nikon SLR I owned.

    > Since you've already used Nikon bodies, the D50 will likely feel
    > familiar to you when you start using it.
    >
    > Don't worry about the entry level status - the camera takes pictures
    > just as well as any of its larger siblings. The difference is a few
    > controls and features...nothing major though. In fact, the sensor in the
    > D50 is actually a bit better than the D70s for noise levels, although
    > the D70s seems to capture a bit more detail. It's a trade-off I guess.

    I also am very please with our new D50. This is our first digital SLR,
    after many decades of using film SLRs. It may be a simplified SLR
    compared to some of Nikon's fancier ones, but if you are used to old
    film SLRs from nineties and before, you'll be amazed at the
    sophistication. As an old timer, you are likely to be using the manual
    settings and aperture and shutter preferred modes anyway. It doesn't
    have as many programmed modes as Nikon's more expensive offerings, but
    most of us old timers don't use programmed modes much anyway.
    Don Stauffer, Apr 30, 2006