    What is the file that I need to paste into the folder for my bookmarks
    again? (from my old computer)

    BTW: Firebird 0.7

    Axl, Jan 23, 2004

  2. Axl wrote:

    > ...for the SECOND time in a month. What's up with this shit?
    >
    > Also, once again I cannot drag them into the quick launch area.
    >

    > Sigh.
    >
    > What is the file that I need to paste into the folder for my bookmarks
    > again? (from my old computer)
    >
    > BTW: Firebird 0.7

    bookmarks.html

    You can get a copy from your old computer, or from a Mozilla or
    Netscape7 installation, or Netscape4 by renaming the file. Paste it
    into your FB (Phoenix) profile folder.

    If this keeps happening, back up your bookmarks. Make a copy of the
    file and squirrel it away somewhere safe. Do so every couple of days,
    or as you add bookmarks.

    You might also look in the profile ans see if there is something like
    bookmarks1.html, or bookmarksbak.html. I have heard of people who lost
    their bookmarks unexplainedly and found them in a backup file that the
    program evidently created.

    I have no real idea how this is happening, as it has never happened to
    me. Can you give some infromation as to what was happening when you
    lost the bookmarks. For example, what were you doing the last time you
    have the browser open before losing the bookmarks? Did the browser
    close abnormally? In other words, was there anything at all abnormal
    that you may have noticed?

    Lee

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Jan 23, 2004

  3. Axl

    Axl Guest

    The first time, I dont remember anything, but last night my PC did
    restart itself...I'm assuming it was some harsh memory dump or
    something...and the first time I fired FB up after that, they were gone.

    Axl, Jan 23, 2004
  4. Axl

    Axl Guest

    The first time, I dont remember anything, but last night my PC did
    restart itself...I'm assuming it was some harsh memory dump or
    something...and the first time I fired FB up after that, they were gone.

    Also, I looked under my 'default' (NOT "Default User") profile and there
    is my original bookmarks.html! It is named correctly....so I'm assuming
    FB just is looking for the bookmarks in the wrong place....

    I went into manage bookmarks...linked it to that file...now they're
    they're under the bookmarks tab..but they dont seem to want to return or
    be drug into the quicklaunch area still....

    Axl, Jan 23, 2004
  5. Axl wrote:

    > The first time, I dont remember anything, but last night my PC did
    > restart itself...I'm assuming it was some harsh memory dump or
    > something...and the first time I fired FB up after that, they were gone.
    >

    > Also, I looked under my 'default' (NOT "Default User") profile and there
    > is my original bookmarks.html! It is named correctly....so I'm assuming
    > FB just is looking for the bookmarks in the wrong place....
    >
    > I went into manage bookmarks...linked it to that file...now they're
    > they're under the bookmarks tab..but they dont seem to want to return or
    > be drug into the quicklaunch area still....
    >

    >> You might also look in the profile ans see if there is something like
    >> bookmarks1.html, or bookmarksbak.html. I have heard of people who
    >> lost their bookmarks unexplainedly and found them in a backup file
    >> that the program evidently created.
    >>
    >> I have no real idea how this is happening, as it has never happened to
    >> me. Can you give some infromation as to what was happening when you
    >> lost the bookmarks. For example, what were you doing the last time you
    >> have the browser open before losing the bookmarks? Did the browser
    >> close abnormally? In other words, was there anything at all abnormal
    >> that you may have noticed?
    >>
    >> Lee
    >>
    >> Lee

    Sounds almost like FB created a new profile.

    When you do a clean install of FB, it creates s profile named "default".
    When you open Profile Manager and create a new profile, the default
    name is "Default User". Did you create the Default User profile
    intentionally, or did you create the one called default? If you open
    Profile Manager, do you see both those profiles listed?

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Jan 23, 2004
  6. Axl

    Axl Guest

    How do I access the profile manager? I remember it when I first
    installed, but I think I told it to always assume it was a certain user
    so now it doesnt come up.

    I really dont remember what I did at this point to get both a default
    and Default User profile...but whatever I did was working fine until out
    of the blue the bookmarks disappeared. Like I said I have them back now,
    bit for whateve reason it refuses to let me put stuff in the quicklaunch
    area.

    Axl, Jan 24, 2004
  7. Firebird may lose its bookmark if it crashes or is terminated abnormally.
    This is my experience...

    So, I have a habit to backup the bookmark... : /

    --
    This is Ricco@Hong Kong

    Ricco@Mobility, Jan 24, 2004
  8. Axl wrote:
    > How do I access the profile manager? I remember it when I first
    > installed, but I think I told it to always assume it was a certain user
    > so now it doesnt come up.
    >
    > I really dont remember what I did at this point to get both a default
    > and Default User profile...but whatever I did was working fine until out
    > of the blue the bookmarks disappeared. Like I said I have them back now,
    > bit for whateve reason it refuses to let me put stuff in the quicklaunch
    > area.
    >

    >> Sounds almost like FB created a new profile.
    >>
    >> When you do a clean install of FB, it creates s profile named
    >> "default". When you open Profile Manager and create a new profile,
    >> the default name is "Default User". Did you create the Default User
    >> profile intentionally, or did you create the one called default? If
    >> you open Profile Manager, do you see both those profiles listed?
    >>
    >> Lee

    If you jave installed FB from the installer, there will be an entry in
    Start>>Programs that will allow access to the profile Manager. If you
    have installed from zip archives, the more usual way, right click on
    your shortcut, and select Properties. In the Target field of
    theProperties window, at -p after the target entry. It be something like:

    "C:\Program Files\MozillaFirebird\MozillaFirebird.exe" -p

    Note that the -p is after the quotes, and that there is a space between
    the closequote and the dash.

    Close properties and click on the link. Profile Manager will come up.
    Since you two profile folders, you would expect to see two profiles
    listed, default and Default User. If you see onlu one, create a new
    profile with the exact name of the other. Does that restore your
    bookmarks?

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Jan 24, 2004
  9. Axl

    Axl Guest

    Ok did that and only those 2 profiles, default and Default User are
    listed...no others.

    Axl, Jan 24, 2004
  10. Axl

    Axl Guest

    I noticed when I try to load my default profile I get an error saying
    the profile's contents cant be found...so I made a new profile, imported
    the bookmarks from my Default Profile and NOW I can put things in my
    quick launch...so it's looking better now...

    Axl, Jan 24, 2004
  11. Axl wrote:
    > I noticed when I try to load my default profile I get an error saying
    > the profile's contents cant be found...so I made a new profile, imported
    > the bookmarks from my Default Profile and NOW I can put things in my
    > quick launch...so it's looking better now...

    I was about to suggest that! ;)

    Glad its working better for you.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Jan 24, 2004
  12. Axl

    Axl Guest

    Yeah seems to be. Thanks! I'll squirrel away a copy of the bookmarks
    file for safe keeping. :)

    Now if only they could get .wmv files to work more consistently!

    Axl, Jan 24, 2004
  13. Axl wrote:
    > Yeah seems to be. Thanks! I'll squirrel away a copy of the bookmarks
    > file for safe keeping. :)
    >
    > Now if only they could get .wmv files to work more consistently!
    >
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >
    >> Axl wrote:
    >>
    >>> I noticed when I try to load my default profile I get an error saying
    >>> the profile's contents cant be found...so I made a new profile,
    >>> imported the bookmarks from my Default Profile and NOW I can put
    >>> things in my quick launch...so it's looking better now...

    >> I was about to suggest that! ;)
    >>
    >> Glad its working better for you.
    >>
    >> Lee

    Whats the problem?

    If its the servier identifying wmv files as text/plain, and displaying
    code, there is a fix in 1.7a nightlies. By 1.7, you will able to left
    click and choose to open the file in your default ap.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Jan 25, 2004
  14. Axl

    Tono Guest

    Axl wrote:

    > I noticed when I try to load my default profile I get an error saying
    > the profile's contents cant be found...so I made a new profile, imported
    > the bookmarks from my Default Profile and NOW I can put things in my
    > quick launch...so it's looking better now...

    Did you change the name and use the default profile? If not, deleting
    it shouldn't hurt. An easier route would be tools/switch profile

    Tono

    Tono, Jan 26, 2004