oh golly gee - can you feel Labour's finger up your arse?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Canon Paora Tikitiki, Sep 11, 2005.

  1. Canon Paora Tikitiki, Sep 11, 2005

  2. On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 20:30:33 +0000, someone purporting to be Canon Paora
    Tikitiki didst scrawl:

    > Labour pledges cheap, fast internet
    >
    > http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10345123
    >
    > Just more foreplay - will they ever go all the way?

    We're more likely to get something with Labour than with National.
    http://s0.tx.co.nz/at/tep34i83886a4j42380s4c4680224t9f2n279457z is a
    ComputerWorld article which interviews Cunliffe and Williamson.

    Labour says "as much regulation as necessary", National says "as little
    regulation as possible". We've established that the market isn't going to
    reign in the 800lb gorilla, so regulation is the only thing that will give
    us any chance of climbing in the OECD rankings instead of falling
    still-further.

    --
    Matthew Poole
    "Don't use force. Get a bigger hammer."
    Matthew Poole, Sep 11, 2005

  3. "Canon Paora Tikitiki" <> wrote in message

    > Labour pledges cheap, fast internet
    >
    > http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10345123
    >
    > Just more foreplay - will they ever go all the way?

    Strange situation here - I would think a right wing party would support the
    introduction of fast internet, and unbundling.

    But, topsy turvy here.
    news.xtra.co.nz, Sep 11, 2005
  4. Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 11, 2005
  5. Canon Paora Tikitiki

    MarkH Guest

    (Canon Paora Tikitiki) wrote in

    > http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10345123

    "The ultimate extreme of that push is some form of separation and we're not
    signing up for that at this point. But we are saying that we're going to
    seriously look at how far we will go."

    This seems unfair, they made several power companies split up and sell
    either the production or the retail arm. Why is Telecom getting away with
    owning everything from the Southern Cross cable right through to retailing
    the services? I think that telecom should have to sell Xtra and the
    retailing of phone accounts and tolls, either that or sell the lines and
    exchanges and their share of the Southern Cross cable.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade
    MarkH, Sep 11, 2005
  6. Canon Paora Tikitiki

    Rob J Guest

    Rob J, Sep 11, 2005
  7. Canon Paora Tikitiki

    Rob J Guest

    On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 08:47:31 +1200, Matthew Poole <>
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 20:30:33 +0000, someone purporting to be Canon Paora
    >Tikitiki didst scrawl:
    >

    >> Labour pledges cheap, fast internet
    >>
    >> http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10345123
    >>
    >> Just more foreplay - will they ever go all the way?

    >We're more likely to get something with Labour than with National.
    >http://s0.tx.co.nz/at/tep34i83886a4j42380s4c4680224t9f2n279457z is a
    >ComputerWorld article which interviews Cunliffe and Williamson.
    >
    >Labour says "as much regulation as necessary", National says "as little
    >regulation as possible". We've established that the market isn't going to
    >reign in the 800lb gorilla, so regulation is the only thing that will give
    >us any chance of climbing in the OECD rankings instead of falling
    >still-further.

    This policy is obviously a desperate and false vote grab. Why has
    Labour not done anything in six year? Because they know they can't.
    Rob J, Sep 11, 2005
  8. Canon Paora Tikitiki

    Sidproquo Guest

    Considering the unusual preferences of many in the Labour Government
    ranks one must be thankful that it is only a finger.
    Sidproquo, Sep 12, 2005
  9. Canon Paora Tikitiki

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    Rob J wrote:
    > On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 08:47:31 +1200, Matthew Poole <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 20:30:33 +0000, someone purporting to be Canon Paora
    >>Tikitiki didst scrawl:
    >>

    >>>Labour pledges cheap, fast internet
    >>>
    >>>http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10345123
    >>>
    >>>Just more foreplay - will they ever go all the way?

    >>We're more likely to get something with Labour than with National.
    >>http://s0.tx.co.nz/at/tep34i83886a4j42380s4c4680224t9f2n279457z is a
    >>ComputerWorld article which interviews Cunliffe and Williamson.
    >>
    >>Labour says "as much regulation as necessary", National says "as little
    >>regulation as possible". We've established that the market isn't going to
    >>reign in the 800lb gorilla, so regulation is the only thing that will give
    >>us any chance of climbing in the OECD rankings instead of falling
    >>still-further.

    > This policy is obviously a desperate and false vote grab. Why has
    > Labour not done anything in six year? Because they know they can't.

    Just like Don Brash with his 5 cent petrol tax cut till the end of
    April..... OK, getting OT now :p
    Chris Mayhew, Sep 12, 2005
  10. Canon Paora Tikitiki

    John B Guest

    Chris Mayhew wrote:
    > Rob J wrote:
    >> On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 08:47:31 +1200, Matthew Poole

    <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>> On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 20:30:33 +0000, someone purporting to be

    Canon
    >>> Paora Tikitiki didst scrawl:

    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10345123

    >>> We're more likely to get something with Labour than with

    National.

    http://s0.tx.co.nz/at/tep34i83886a4j42380s4c4680224t9f2n279457z
    is a
    >>> ComputerWorld article which interviews Cunliffe and

    Williamson.

    >>> Labour says "as much regulation as necessary", National says

    "as
    >>> little regulation as possible". We've established that the

    market
    >>> isn't going to reign in the 800lb gorilla, so regulation is

    the
    >>> only thing that will give us any chance of climbing in the

    OECD
    >>> rankings instead of falling still-further.

    I'm not interrested in climbing up the OECD ladder. It's not my
    purpose in life. I'm interested in making my life, and that of
    those I value, as prosperous and happy as I can. That's MY
    purpose.

    You can shove the OECD rankings ladder up ya bum. Doesn't help me
    one iota. Nor will 'regulating' me - that will only hinder my
    potential and stifle my chances.

    I am the only one that can achieve MY purpose.

    Klark can't do it for me, nor can the OECD ladder. Klark in no
    way helps me achieve my purpose. In fact, the opposite is true.
    She hinders my progress to expedite her own.

    Unless, of course, Labour want to just give me a million or two
    of taxpayers' money for nothing. That'd do it. To each according
    to his need, right? Well I need at least $2,000,000. Where is it
    KLARK?
    John B, Sep 12, 2005
  11. Canon Paora Tikitiki

    H.O.G Guest

    On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 20:30:33 GMT, (Canon Paora
    Tikitiki) spoke these fine words:

    >Labour pledges cheap, fast internet
    >
    >http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10345123
    >
    >Just more foreplay - will they ever go all the way?

    It's a bunch of belony.

    Firstly, they've had 6 years to do something, and they've done
    nothing. In fact, they've done less than nothing. They've loosened up
    Kiwishare, and they've implied that Telecom will soon be released from
    it.

    Secondly, notice the tone? "We'll look at it". Really vague and
    noncommital. Talk is cheap, and they're full of it. As usual.
    H.O.G, Sep 12, 2005
  12. H.O.G wrote:
    >>Labour pledges cheap, fast internet
    >>http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10345123
    >>Just more foreplay - will they ever go all the way?

    > It's a bunch of belony.
    > Firstly, they've had 6 years to do something, and they've done
    > nothing. In fact, they've done less than nothing. They've loosened up
    > Kiwishare, and they've implied that Telecom will soon be released from
    > it.

    kiwishare/"free local calling" was always gonna be gone if/when they
    built a new network... and they announced that a year or so back that a
    new network was going in, once the got clarification on a few points.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 12, 2005
  13. Canon Paora Tikitiki

    ~misfit~ Guest

    John B wrote:
    > Chris Mayhew wrote:
    >> Rob J wrote:

    > http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10345123

    > http://s0.tx.co.nz/at/tep34i83886a4j42380s4c4680224t9f2n279457z
    > is a

    > I'm not interrested in climbing up the OECD ladder. It's not my
    > purpose in life. I'm interested in making my life, and that of
    > those I value, as prosperous and happy as I can. That's MY
    > purpose.
    >
    > You can shove the OECD rankings ladder up ya bum. Doesn't help me
    > one iota. Nor will 'regulating' me - that will only hinder my
    > potential and stifle my chances.
    >
    > I am the only one that can achieve MY purpose.
    >
    > Klark can't do it for me, nor can the OECD ladder. Klark in no
    > way helps me achieve my purpose. In fact, the opposite is true.
    > She hinders my progress to expedite her own.
    >
    > Unless, of course, Labour want to just give me a million or two
    > of taxpayers' money for nothing. That'd do it. To each according
    > to his need, right? Well I need at least $2,000,000. Where is it
    > KLARK?

    Thanks for that semi-sane rant JB, you've helped me decide to vote Labour
    this Saturday. You can go back to your rubber room now....
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Sep 12, 2005
  14. Canon Paora Tikitiki

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > John B wrote:
    >
    >>Chris Mayhew wrote:
    >>
    >>>Rob J wrote:
    >>>

    > Thanks for that semi-sane rant JB, you've helped me decide to vote Labour
    > this Saturday. You can go back to your rubber room now....

    I wonder who JB won't be voting for ....... hummmmmm, just a guess, Labour ?
    Chris Mayhew, Sep 12, 2005
  15. T'was the Mon, 12 Sep 2005 09:37:08 +1200 when I remembered "Dave -
    Dave.net.nz" <> saying something like this:

    >none of the parties have got close to, let alone hit the spot to buy my
    >vote.

    I'm a student, so they get (or Greens, I might vote strategically) my
    vote.

    Are taxcuts really going to improve people's lives? Odds are not
    really, because when people get a few extra dollars here and there a
    week that don't see the value of that money, like loose change in a
    wallet. But people notice a lack of services, which is more than
    likely going to happen under National than Labour.

    I'm left-leaning, and I'm alright with that.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.
    Waylon Kenning, Sep 12, 2005
  16. Canon Paora Tikitiki

    colinco Guest

    In article Dave - Dave.net.nz says...
    > kiwishare/"free local calling" was always gonna be gone if/when they
    > built a new network... and they announced that a year or so back that a
    > new network was going in, once the got clarification on a few points.

    The new network will effectively be national. It would be interesting to
    see Telecom try to justify not having flat rate within NZ.
    colinco, Sep 12, 2005
  17. Canon Paora Tikitiki

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 08:45:23 +1200, colinco <> wrote:

    >In article Dave - Dave.net.nz says...
    >> kiwishare/"free local calling" was always gonna be gone if/when they
    >> built a new network... and they announced that a year or so back that a
    >> new network was going in, once the got clarification on a few points.
    >>

    >The new network will effectively be national. It would be interesting to
    >see Telecom try to justify not having flat rate within NZ.

    They probably will. It'll cost you the same to call locally as it will to call
    anywhere else in the country.

    :)
    Craig Shore, Sep 13, 2005