    Of course, they could just make the system modular, so you can select the
    bits you want, and leave out the bits you don't want. And change your mind
    at any time. But they're never going to do that...
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 27, 2008

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    greg Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > Doesn't look like Dimdows 7 is going to have a reduced resource-usage
    > footprint
    > <http://apcmag.com/windows_7_wont_break_ties_with_vista_goes_public_in_november.htm>:
    >
    > Elsewhere in the entry he explicitly rejects the notion of a cut-down
    > Windows architecture: "Some have said that an ecosystem is not the best
    > approach -- that we could do a much better job for customers if we
    > reduce the "surface area" of Windows and support fewer devices, fewer
    > PCs, fewer applications, and less of Windows’ past or legacy. Judging by
    > the variety of views we've seen I think folks desire a lot of
    > choice . . . in reality such a view would result in a radical and
    > ever-shrinking reduction in the choices available for consumers."
    >
    > Of course, they could just make the system modular, so you can select the
    > bits you want, and leave out the bits you don't want. And change your mind
    > at any time. But they're never going to do that...

    Do you have operating system envy?

    Everyone knows that you love linux, good on you for that, but is there a
    particular reason you follow every little news item about windows.

    Now been honest here I use windows, ok it has numerous shortcomings, and
    linux may very well be a better O/S than windows, but people don't
    follow every little bit of negative news about the other O/S they love
    to have and make sure everyone knows it.

    It seems to be the good old saying, if I can't make mine bigger and
    better then I'll make everyone else's seem smaller........hmmm there is
    a saying ....something..... envy
    greg, Oct 27, 2008

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Je| Guest

    Come up with a better joke than the old tired one that always sucked anyway
    ("Dimdows") and I might bother to read your posts.

    J&H.
    Je|, Oct 27, 2008
  4. "Windows 7: Five things Microsoft must do"
    <http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=10575>. My thoughts:

    5. Speed it up significantly -- yes, but it's going to be difficult without
    major rearchitecting. Which the Windows 7 team is consciously trying to
    avoid, otherwise they'll get bogged down in the same multiyear delays that
    plagued Vista.

    4. Avoid compatibility problems -- I don't think this is doable. Windows is
    too much the product of a philosophy that adds features for features' sake,
    without regard for the architectural integrity of the system. Then when
    they discover they did something wrong, they can't just take out the old
    way, they have to keep supporting it forever, side by side with the new
    way. After many years of this, the entropy of the system increases to a
    point where every new change is liable to break something, and it becomes
    impossible to make any net progress. Which is the point that Vista has
    reached.

    3. Undercut OS X on price -- irrelevant. Apple is only gaining in the US
    market. Worldwide, its market share remains stagnant.

    2. Sell only one version -- haha! If only ... but Microsoft can't resist the
    opportunity to monetize every possible feature that they can. That's why
    there are so many versions of Vista. And that's why they've never been able
    to make Windows truly modular: because they will insist on charging for
    every little add-on--imagine the cash register going ka-ching ka-ching
    every time you check another box in the installer? Customers would never
    stand for it.

    1. Make it the last shrink-wrapped OS -- but the subscription model was
    roundly rejected by business customers back around the time of the Software
    Licensing 6.0 debacle. And who nowadays has heard of Microsoft FlexGo?
    Again, Microsoft's need to monetize their software in every way possible is
    at odds with the customers' need for simple, predictable costs. This is
    something that Open Source manages better.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 27, 2008