  2. lens crack

    RK Guest

    Much ado about nuthin'.

    RK, Dec 12, 2005

  3. lens crack

    lens crack Guest

    "RK" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Much ado about nuthin'.

    I didn't know that it had been already been covered in the 'interesting Oly'
    thread - but since Stacey, in her desperate search for *something* positive
    to say about Olympus, made a point of mentioning the dust-shaker, I thought
    it was a bit ironic.

    Of course it's no big deal - at least, not to owners of other cameras.
    Olympus owners seem a bit timid about the whole thing though.`

    She should have mentioned pixel-mapping, instead - now *that's* the feature
    that Olympus should be promoting.

    lens crack, Dec 12, 2005
  4. lens crack

    Stacey Guest

    Stacey, Dec 12, 2005
  5. lens crack

    G.T. Guest

    Stacey wrote:
    > lens crack wrote:
    >

    >>http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1022&message=16212349

    > Some guy buys a store demo and is shocked the camera is full of dust? How
    > many months/years has it been on the shelf?

    Didn't it have a freakin' body cap or lens on it? Why would it gather
    more dust sitting on a shelf than being used out in the field? You
    cannot seriously believe that shaky thing can shake the sticky dust off
    of a filter, do you?

    Greg

    --
    "Destroy your safe and happy lives before it is too late
    The battles we fought were long and hard

    G.T., Dec 12, 2005
  6. lens crack

    Stacey Guest

    G.T. wrote:

    > Stacey wrote:
    >> lens crack wrote:
    >>

    >>>http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1022&message=16212349

    >> Some guy buys a store demo and is shocked the camera is full of dust? How
    >> many months/years has it been on the shelf?

    > Didn't it have a freakin' body cap or lens on it?

    Who knows? You really believe a salesperson at a store would worry about it?
    We have no idea how this camera was handled do we? It could easily be a 2
    year old sample that has sat months at a time with no cap or lens..

    This thread on the OM forum is the first I've seen in the year I've been
    reading there about a camera with problem sensor dust and he even says it
    has dust all in the viewfinder. Does that sound like it had a body cap or a
    lens on it?

    "The focusing screen is also kind of dirty."

    this was an interesting coment or did you miss that one as well?

    "I called the local Olympus distributor and they told me they don't have
    experience cleaning CCDs."

    If this thing didn't work, don't you think they might have had to clean a
    sensor or two?

    Also here is a coment in that thread from someone who uses a Canon FF camera
    and a E1:

    "The SSWF really works extraordinarily well. If you use a DSLR with
    interchangeable lenses, then you risk dust contamination. That is fact. The
    Olympus SSWF is the best system to reduce that risk. In over 18 months,
    I've had to (that is had to) clean my Olympus sensor just once , plus I did
    it because I could. Bear in mind that I change lenses in all weather and in
    climatically hostile environments without any extra care.

    My Canons have had scores of sensor cleans, sometimes daily, during the
    same period (that's lot's of Eclipse and quite a few cotton buds).

    The Olympus system works. It's really apparent if you happen to also use an
    alternative camera system. "

    > Why would it gather
    > more dust sitting on a shelf than being used out in the field?

    See above.

    > You
    > cannot seriously believe that shaky thing can shake the sticky dust off
    > of a filter, do you?

    Ask most people who use these, most say they have never had to manually
    clean their sensors or worse case every year or two.. It works whether you
    believe it or not.

    --

    Stacey

    Stacey, Dec 12, 2005
  7. lens crack

    Mark² Guest

    Stacey wrote:
    > G.T. wrote:
    >
    >> Stacey wrote:

    >>> Some guy buys a store demo and is shocked the camera is full of
    >>> dust? How many months/years has it been on the shelf?

    >> Didn't it have a freakin' body cap or lens on it?

    > Who knows? You really believe a salesperson at a store would worry
    > about it? We have no idea how this camera was handled do we? It could
    > easily be a 2 year old sample that has sat months at a time with no
    > cap or lens..

    There is no reason to believe a SENSOR will be highly prone to dust from
    sitting on a camera store's shelf display.

    Mark², Dec 12, 2005
  8. lens crack

    Pete D Guest

    > Stacey wrote:
    >> G.T. wrote:

    >>> Didn't it have a freakin' body cap or lens on it?

    >> Who knows? You really believe a salesperson at a store would worry
    >> about it? We have no idea how this camera was handled do we? It could
    >> easily be a 2 year old sample that has sat months at a time with no
    >> cap or lens..

    > There is no reason to believe a SENSOR will be highly prone to dust from
    > sitting on a camera store's shelf display.

    It would seem that Kodak sensors attract more dust than others though.

    Pete D, Dec 12, 2005
  9. lens crack

    Larry Lynch Guest

    In article <RK9nf.749$z21.425@fed1read04>, "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even
    number here)@cox..net> says...
    > Stacey wrote:
    > > G.T. wrote:

    > >> Didn't it have a freakin' body cap or lens on it?

    > > Who knows? You really believe a salesperson at a store would worry
    > > about it? We have no idea how this camera was handled do we? It could
    > > easily be a 2 year old sample that has sat months at a time with no
    > > cap or lens..

    > There is no reason to believe a SENSOR will be highly prone to dust from
    > sitting on a camera store's shelf display.

    Depends on Where and How it is displayed..

    One camera shop I visit has the cameras right out front on the counter
    where they can be handled.

    When a novice or NON DSLR user comes in the FIRST thing they do is
    figure how to remove the lens and look inside.

    The shop owner doesnt mind, he has put them out for that reason, so they
    can be handled, and looked at (and into). He only speaks up if he sees a
    finger go into the hole!

    Keep in mind also that the camera in question was a "DEMO" not a
    "DISPLAY".. there is a more than a subtle difference.

    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.

    Larry Lynch, Dec 12, 2005
  10. lens crack

    Rich Guest

    On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 01:39:17 -0000, "lens crack"
    <> wrote:

    >http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1022&message=16212349

    Seems this fellow just can't seem to keep anything clean.
    I'd look into the environment he keeps his camera in.

    Exerpt:

    Guys, I'm having a hard time cleaning the focusing screen on my E1.
    I've tried a blower but it just messed it up. I tried removing it,
    wiped it with Eclipse and pec pads, but I can't seem to make it look
    perfect. I've also tried using a microfiber cloth. Any suggestions?

    I have a question: when I removed the focusing screen I noticed
    there's a glass on top of the focusing screen, right beneath the prism
    hump. Does this glass serve any purpose, because it's kind of dusty on
    my camera. On the other hand, the dust on the glass doesn't seem to
    show up with the focusing screen in place.
    Okay, I promise to post some photos next time. =B)

    Rich, Dec 12, 2005
  11. lens crack

    Stacey Guest

    Larry Lynch wrote:

    >> There is no reason to believe a SENSOR will be highly prone to dust from
    >> sitting on a camera store's shelf display.
    >>

    > Keep in mind also that the camera in question was a "DEMO" not a
    > "DISPLAY".. there is a more than a subtle difference.

    Exactly and we have no idea how it was "demo'd" or for how long. Like I said
    given this is one of the few threads I've seen about an E1 and sensor dust,
    something weird happened to the "demo" sample.

    --

    Stacey

    Stacey, Dec 13, 2005