    any website but that could just be the typical 'windows generally sux'
    error message.

    Sorry I have no other details - any idea where to find a solution?

    paora, Oct 4, 2004

  2. paora

    Gurble Guest

    On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 13:26:53 GMT, (paora) wrote:

    >Trying to remedy a fault with someone's computer and I'm lost.
    >
    >Simply
    >WinXP home edition
    >Dials and connects to the ISP
    >that's all it does.
    >
    >No internet apps connect to anything.
    >IE has a 'cannot find server or DNS Error' after trying to connedt to
    >any website but that could just be the typical 'windows generally sux'
    >error message.
    >
    >Sorry I have no other details - any idea where to find a solution?

    First off, eliminate DNS issues:

    open up a DOS Window (Start-->Run... "cmd <enter>")

    Type the following:

    PING 216.239.57.99

    If you get no response, it is a connection issue. If you get a
    response, the problem's with DNS.

    If no connection:

    1. Have you tried re-creating the DialUp Networking setting?
    Preferably with a different ISP.

    2. Have they got spyware? D/L and run Adaware.

    3. If they had spyware (or you removed it previously), the TCP/IP
    stack may need to be rebuilt. In a DOS Window, type:

    NETSH INT IP RESET C:\IPLOG.TXT

    This will rebuild the TCP/IP stack.

    If none of this works, try reinstalling the modem drivers.

    There's plenty of other things to try, so let us know how you get on
    with the above.

    HTH

    Gurble, Oct 4, 2004

  3. paora

    Gurble Guest

    On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 03:18:54 +1300, Gurble <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 13:26:53 GMT, (paora) wrote:
    >

    >>Trying to remedy a fault with someone's computer and I'm lost.
    >>
    >>Simply
    >>WinXP home edition
    >>Dials and connects to the ISP
    >>that's all it does.
    >>
    >>No internet apps connect to anything.
    >>IE has a 'cannot find server or DNS Error' after trying to connedt to
    >>any website but that could just be the typical 'windows generally sux'
    >>error message.
    >>
    >>Sorry I have no other details - any idea where to find a solution?
    >>

    >First off, eliminate DNS issues:
    >
    >open up a DOS Window (Start-->Run... "cmd <enter>")
    >
    >Type the following:
    >
    >PING 216.239.57.99
    >
    >If you get no response, it is a connection issue. If you get a
    >response, the problem's with DNS.
    >
    >If no connection:
    >
    >1. Have you tried re-creating the DialUp Networking setting?
    >Preferably with a different ISP.
    >
    >2. Have they got spyware? D/L and run Adaware.
    >
    >3. If they had spyware (or you removed it previously), the TCP/IP
    >stack may need to be rebuilt. In a DOS Window, type:
    >
    >NETSH INT IP RESET C:\IPLOG.TXT
    >
    >This will rebuild the TCP/IP stack.
    >
    >If none of this works, try reinstalling the modem drivers.
    >
    >There's plenty of other things to try, so let us know how you get on
    >with the above.
    >
    >HTH

    Further to the above, check out:

    http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/WinXP/Q_20786932.html
    esp. Alex J's post.

    HTH

    Gurble, Oct 4, 2004
  4. paora

    EMB Guest

    paora wrote:
    > Trying to remedy a fault with someone's computer and I'm lost.
    >
    > Simply
    > WinXP home edition
    > Dials and connects to the ISP
    > that's all it does.
    >
    > No internet apps connect to anything.
    > IE has a 'cannot find server or DNS Error' after trying to connedt to
    > any website but that could just be the typical 'windows generally sux'
    > error message.
    >
    > Sorry I have no other details - any idea where to find a solution?

    There's a piece of spyware/malware that stops DNS resolving. Have a
    google around for Win XP DNS not working.

    --
    EMB
    change two to the number to reply

    EMB, Oct 4, 2004
  5. In article <>,
    says...

    > Trying to remedy a fault with someone's computer and I'm lost.
    >
    > Simply
    > WinXP home edition
    > Dials and connects to the ISP
    > that's all it does.
    >
    > No internet apps connect to anything.
    > IE has a 'cannot find server or DNS Error' after trying to connedt to
    > any website but that could just be the typical 'windows generally sux'
    > error message.
    >
    > Sorry I have no other details - any idea where to find a solution?

    RC (right-click) "My Network Places", choose 'properties
    RC internet dialup connection, choose 'properties'
    go to networking tab, make sure 'Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)' is present.
    If it isn't, you'll have to install it.
    Select TCP/IP and LC on the properties button.
    Make sure the 'obtain an Ip address automatically' and 'obtain a DNS
    server automatically' radio buttons are selected.

    If all that is there, and checks out, you may have to ring the ISP's
    help line, or check their website, to see if they need special settings.
    They may rely on you to manually enter the proper DNS server addresses
    for instance.

    h.t.h. -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Oct 4, 2004