    the film quality on OH BROTHER WHERE ART THOU has an aged feel to it.
    can anyone tell me the filming process used in its making ?
    , Jun 12, 2004

  2. madkevin Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > the film quality on OH BROTHER WHERE ART THOU has an aged feel to it.
    > can anyone tell me the filming process used in its making ?

    Roger Deakins digitally coloured most of the movie to make it look like autumn.
    If you have the DVD, there's a brief interview where he goes into some detail
    about the process. Interestingly: the movie marks the first use of CGI by the
    Coens.

    Kevin "eXistenZ" Cogliano
    madkevin, Jun 12, 2004

  3. PJ\(shop\) Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > the film quality on OH BROTHER WHERE ART THOU has an aged feel to it.
    > can anyone tell me the filming process used in its making ?

    was filmed in the conventional way then processed using digital filters etc
    to give it the "old timey" feel same as "he man who wasnt there" which lso
    looks beautiful but was originally shot in colour (here is a region 3 dis
    with the colour version on it, though its not vibrant more like the colour
    palette to oh brother)
    PJ
    PJ\(shop\), Jun 12, 2004
  4. Joshua Zyber Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > the film quality on OH BROTHER WHERE ART THOU has an aged feel to it.
    > can anyone tell me the filming process used in its making ?

    Since this is a DVD newsgroup, I would presume you have the DVD. Just
    pop that sucker in and go to the bonus feature called "Painting with
    Pixels" for the full explanation.
    Joshua Zyber, Jun 12, 2004
  5. madkevin wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    >
    >>the film quality on OH BROTHER WHERE ART THOU has an aged feel to it.
    >>can anyone tell me the filming process used in its making ?
    >>

    > Roger Deakins digitally coloured most of the movie to make it look like autumn.
    > If you have the DVD, there's a brief interview where he goes into some detail
    > about the process. Interestingly: the movie marks the first use of CGI by the
    > Coens.

    No it isn't, think of the CG bowling balls and pins in the dream
    sequence in The Big Lebowski, not to mention all the digital compositing
    (and Jeff Bridges was digitally shrunk to make him fit through the
    dancers' legs).

    --
    This signature brought to you by Coca-Cola(tm)
    Grand Inquisitor, Jun 12, 2004
  6. Mark Spatny Guest

    madkevin, says...
    > Roger Deakins digitally coloured most of the movie

    This is called a "digital intermediate". The entire film is scanned into
    a computer, and then the color of each shot is adjusted. Then the movie
    is recorded back out to film.

    It's actually a case of the film business catching up with television.
    For many years TV shows have been going through shot-by-shot to adjust
    the color of the final edit, then recording the adjusted color back out
    to video tape. But the technology to do so at film resolution used to be
    too expensive. Now that hard drives are so cheap and processors so fast,
    it is not a big deal to store an entire movie in digital form and render
    the changes out.
    Mark Spatny, Jun 13, 2004
  7. awknod Guest

    Why? the movie is terrible.

    awknod, Jun 13, 2004
  8. Joshua Zyber Guest

    "awknod" <> wrote in message
    > Why? the movie is terrible.

    Your post contributes nothing to this conversation.
    Joshua Zyber, Jun 14, 2004
  9. JFR Guest

    Mark Spatny wrote:

    > madkevin, says...
    > > Roger Deakins digitally coloured most of the movie

    > This is called a "digital intermediate". The entire film is scanned into
    > a computer, and then the color of each shot is adjusted. Then the movie
    > is recorded back out to film.
    >
    > It's actually a case of the film business catching up with television.
    > For many years TV shows have been going through shot-by-shot to adjust
    > the color of the final edit, then recording the adjusted color back out
    > to video tape. But the technology to do so at film resolution used to be
    > too expensive. Now that hard drives are so cheap and processors so fast,
    > it is not a big deal to store an entire movie in digital form and render
    > the changes out.

    I remember reading it was the first film to go through the whole digital
    intermediate process. Is this the case? If not, which was the first one?

    JF
    JFR, Jun 14, 2004
  10. Mark Spatny Guest

    JFR <"jeanfr"@$$$.ca>,JFR <"jeanfr"@$$$.ca> says...
    > I remember reading it was the first film to go through the whole digital
    > intermediate process. Is this the case? If not, which was the first one?

    I beleive that is was the first major STUDIO release film, but I think
    there were a few small independent films done first, as sort of proof of
    concept. Sort of just how Lucas claimed the Star Wars movies were the
    first to be shot with HD cameras, even thought they weren't.
    Mark Spatny, Jun 15, 2004
  11. Mark Spatny Guest

    JFR <"jeanfr"@$$$.ca>,JFR <"jeanfr"@$$$.ca> says...

    > I remember reading it was the first film to go through the whole digital
    > intermediate process. Is this the case? If not, which was the first one?

    I just remembered who would have the answer you are looking for. Go to
    the forums at Cinematographer.com :
    http://www.uemforums.com/2pop/ubbthreads/postlist.php?
    Cat=&Board=cinematographer

    Post your question, and I'm sure you'll get an answer. Especially if you
    put David Mullen's name in the subject. He used to post here a lot, and
    as I seem to recall, he may have worked on the first digital
    intermediate. I noticed that although he doesn't post here anymore, he
    still replies to comments at Cinematographer.com, so you should be able
    to get an answer from him.

    Hope that helps.

    -Mark
    Mark Spatny, Jun 15, 2004
  12. From: Grand Inquisitor
    >madkevin wrote:
    >> <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>the film quality on OH BROTHER WHERE ART THOU has an aged feel to it.
    >>>can anyone tell me the filming process used in its making ?
    >>>

    >> Roger Deakins digitally coloured most of the movie to make it look like

    >autumn.
    >> If you have the DVD, there's a brief interview where he goes into some

    >detail
    >> about the process. Interestingly: the movie marks the first use of CGI by

    >the
    >> Coens.

    >No it isn't, think of the CG bowling balls and pins in the dream
    >sequence in The Big Lebowski, not to mention all the digital compositing
    >(and Jeff Bridges was digitally shrunk to make him fit through the
    >dancers' legs).

    Also, the marmot in the bathtub was CG.
    Rupert Pupkin, Jun 15, 2004
  13. Jay Stewart Guest

    > "awknod" <> wrote in message
    > > Why? the movie is terrible.

    > Your post contributes nothing to this conversation.

    It does, however, identify the poster as a dickhead.
    Jay Stewart, Jun 16, 2004