Ogg Vorbis at RNZ

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 17, 2008.

  1. Nice to see Radio New Zealand at least offer the option of
    patent-unencumbered formats. It started around the time of Richard
    Stallman's visit, but I don't think that was the only driver. :)

    <http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/48FDE3BF317797CECC2574C500031C60>
     
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 17, 2008
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Ross Guest

    On 18 Sep 2008 07:49:41 +1200, Carnations <>
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 23:36:08 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> Nice to see Radio New Zealand at least offer the option of
    >> patent-unencumbered formats. It started around the time of Richard
    >> Stallman's visit, but I don't think that was the only driver. :)
    >>
    >> <http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/

    >news/48FDE3BF317797CECC2574C500031C60>
    >
    >They were ready and able to use the OGG format prior to that, and their
    >new website had been intended to use OGG from the very beginning. :eek:)


    Bother, no support in Firefox yet... maybe with 3.1 next month.
     
    Ross, Sep 19, 2008
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Jasen Betts Guest

    On 2008-09-19, Ross <> wrote:

    > Bother, no support in Firefox yet... maybe with 3.1 next month.


    you expect firefox to support ogg?
    it doesn't support any other sound formats.

    all sound (except wav?) is handled by 3rd party plugins.
    same as all movies (except gif & mng)

    Bye.
    Jasen
     
    Jasen Betts, Sep 19, 2008
    #3
  4. In message <gb05ns$cq5$1@gonzo>, Jasen Betts wrote:

    > you expect firefox to support ogg?


    Probably something in HTML 5.
     
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 20, 2008
    #4
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Gordon Guest

    On 2008-09-19, Jasen Betts <> wrote:
    > On 2008-09-19, Ross <> wrote:
    >
    >> Bother, no support in Firefox yet... maybe with 3.1 next month.

    >
    > you expect firefox to support ogg?
    > it doesn't support any other sound formats.
    >
    > all sound (except wav?) is handled by 3rd party plugins.
    > same as all movies (except gif & mng)
    >

    Supporting, please define.

    Firefox is a browser, or that was the idea. Now it is question as to what
    one can do in a browser. More each year.

    In short firefox is a browser, which networks very well; Internet wise and
    also with extensions.

    Watch this space. ;-
     
    Gordon, Sep 20, 2008
    #5
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Jasen Betts Guest

    On 2008-09-20, Gordon <> wrote:
    > On 2008-09-19, Jasen Betts <> wrote:
    >> On 2008-09-19, Ross <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Bother, no support in Firefox yet... maybe with 3.1 next month.

    >>
    >> you expect firefox to support ogg?
    >> it doesn't support any other sound formats.
    >>
    >> all sound (except wav?) is handled by 3rd party plugins.
    >> same as all movies (except gif & mng)


    (oh, I was wrong above MNG has been dropped)

    > Supporting, please define.


    In this context 'render' (ie present to the user) without assistance from
    other applications.

    > Firefox is a browser, or that was the idea. Now it is question as to what
    > one can do in a browser. More each year.


    > In short firefox is a browser, which networks very well; Internet wise and
    > also with extensions.


    I'm not sure I understand your point.
    mine was if the OGG doesn't play that's not firefox's responsibility.

    Bye.
    Jasen
     
    Jasen Betts, Sep 20, 2008
    #6
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Freshman

    Vorbis ogg

    Freshman, Jul 7, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    541
  2. Buffy

    Nero 6 and OGG Vorbis

    Buffy, Mar 3, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    597
    Buffy
    Mar 3, 2004
  3. JAMES CHRISTIE

    vorbis ogg files

    JAMES CHRISTIE, Feb 25, 2005, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    495
    gangle
    Feb 25, 2005
  4. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=28Del=A4+/Ctrl+=A4/Alt=A4+=29=2

    Ogg Vorbis + Burning

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=28Del=A4+/Ctrl+=A4/Alt=A4+=29=2, Feb 15, 2006, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    423
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=28Del=A4+/Ctrl+=A4/Alt=A4+=29=2
    Feb 16, 2006
  5. Celestia

    .ogg vorbis rip rates

    Celestia, Oct 3, 2006, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    568
    PeeCee
    Oct 5, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page