    card "Intel EtherExpress Pro 100b (eth0). (I have also gone to documentation
    at redhat.com, without result). Can there be an incongruency between RedHat
    Linux8 and my machine?

    Tellef Øgrim, Oct 9, 2003

  2. Tellef Øgrim

    Harrison Guest

    Why not RedHat 9?
    http://www.linuxiso.org
    It properly configured all of my hardware...and I've got some pretty
    uncommon stuff.

    Harrison, Oct 9, 2003

  3. Harrison wrote:
    > Why not RedHat 9?
    > http://www.linuxiso.org
    > It properly configured all of my hardware...and I've got some pretty
    > uncommon stuff.

    Do you happen to know whether RH9 will work with a USB TA connected to a
    cardbus USB2 card?
    I'm really wanting to get rid of Windows but can't until I find out whether
    this combination will work.

    (I have to use a TA for reasons to do with access to the ISDN line we have
    installed)

    Thanks!

    --
    Google is your Friend
    gordonATgbpcomputingDOTcoDOTuk

    Gordon Burgess-Parker, Oct 9, 2003
  4. Tellef Øgrim

    Harrison Guest

    I don't know, but there are a couple of options.

    1. Download and burn Knoppix. It's a Debian distro which boots and
    runs from the CD. It's great for Linux testing. Knoppix can also be
    installed to the hard drive with a bit of coaxing.

    2. Download and dual boot RedHat 9. It will set up the dual boot menu
    or you can boot from floppy. If it doesn't work out, delete the
    partition (created from Windows free space during setup) and restore
    the Windows MBR.

    Harrison, Oct 9, 2003
  5. Harrison wrote:
    > I don't know, but there are a couple of options.
    >
    > 1. Download and burn Knoppix. It's a Debian distro which boots and
    > runs from the CD. It's great for Linux testing. Knoppix can also be
    > installed to the hard drive with a bit of coaxing.
    >
    > 2. Download and dual boot RedHat 9. It will set up the dual boot menu
    > or you can boot from floppy. If it doesn't work out, delete the
    > partition (created from Windows free space during setup) and restore
    > the Windows MBR.
    >
    > On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 14:30:48 +0100, "Gordon Burgess-Parker"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Harrison wrote:
    >>> Why not RedHat 9?
    >>> http://www.linuxiso.org
    >>> It properly configured all of my hardware...and I've got some pretty
    >>> uncommon stuff.
    >>>

    >> Do you happen to know whether RH9 will work with a USB TA connected
    >> to a cardbus USB2 card?
    >> I'm really wanting to get rid of Windows but can't until I find out
    >> whether this combination will work.
    >>
    >> (I have to use a TA for reasons to do with access to the ISDN line
    >> we have installed)
    >>
    >> Thanks!

    Thanks - I'll give that a try.

    Gordon Burgess-Parker, Oct 9, 2003
  6. Tellef Øgrim

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 15:04:43 +0200, Tellef Øgrim wrote:

    >Can anyone advice me how to determine whether it is possible or not to
    >access Internet from on my Compaq Armada M700 that I yesterday equipped with
    >RedHat8? I have been to System Tools>hardware Browser>network devices aswell

    On the startup screen you may see something like

    Bringing up Loopback Interface: [OK]
    Bringing up interface eth0: [OK]

    The OK is either in green or a red [FAILED] IIRC.

    >as to Internet config. Wisard, without being able to activate the Ethernet
    >card "Intel EtherExpress Pro 100b (eth0). (I have also gone to documentation

    Is it a built in NIC or a PCCARD, maybe the PCMCIA servers are starting
    after the networking instead of before. I had this happen a few times.

    Did you try this from a terminal window

    /etc/init.d/network restart

    gives this,

    Shutting down interface eth0: OK ]
    Shutting down loopback interface: OK ]
    Setting network parameters: OK ]
    Bringing up loopback interface: OK ]
    Bringing up interface eth0: OK ]
    [r@optiplex r]#

    does the output of
    ifconfig -a
    look okay, sort of like this, IP address, MAC of the NIC.

    eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:C0:4F:90:65:64
    inet addr:192.168.0.10 Bcast:192.168.0.255
    Mask:255.255.255.0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
    RX bytes:15435 (15.0 Kb) TX bytes:15034 (14.6 Kb)
    Interrupt:11 Base address:0xdc00

    What about any messages in the log files

    tail /var/log/messages
    tail /var/log/dmseg
    tail /ver/log/boot.log

    The command tail displays the last 10 or 12 lines, if you want to see
    more try

    less /var/messages

    etc. Use up/down arrow to move amd / to search i.e. /Oct and q to quit

    man page for less
    http://unixhelp.ed.ac.uk/CGI/man-cgi?less

    >at redhat.com, without result). Can there be an incongruency between RedHat
    >Linux8 and my machine?

    Maybe, try a Linux group there are a lot. Also,

    http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/ there are 3 links for the M700.

    http://www.tldp.org/ , see the HOWTOs

    Me

    why?, Oct 9, 2003
  7. Harrison wrote:
    > I don't know, but there are a couple of options.
    >
    > 1. Download and burn Knoppix. It's a Debian distro which boots and
    > runs from the CD. It's great for Linux testing. Knoppix can also be
    > installed to the hard drive with a bit of coaxing.
    >
    > 2. Download and dual boot RedHat 9. It will set up the dual boot menu
    > or you can boot from floppy. If it doesn't work out, delete the
    > partition (created from Windows free space during setup) and restore
    > the Windows MBR.

    I did this (No 2) but it didn't recognise either the USB2 Cardbus or the TA
    connected to it! (Sob!) So I'm going to have to wait until I've got
    sufficient cash (ie got a job!) to buy a proper serial TA.

    Gordon Burgess-Parker, Oct 16, 2003