    like the qwk

    doest exist this kind of software to read forum / usenet

    thanks

    floffy, Mar 26, 2009

  2. floffy

    Evan Platt Guest

    On 26 Mar 2009 19:32:45 -0400, "floffy" <> wrote:

    >Does Exist a Offline readers like the old bbs QWK old loffline readers
    >it's was very effective and praticle
    >
    >Now with the software with got like agent forte , it's not praticle
    >like the qwk
    >
    >doest exist this kind of software to read forum / usenet

    Why can't you use Agent?

    Alt-Enter on group.

    Receiving Messages / Usenet Messages. Select Retrieve bodies for all
    new messages.

    Evan Platt, Mar 27, 2009

  3. floffy

    Lars Eighner Guest

    In our last episode, <>, the
    lovely and talented floffy broadcast on 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > Does Exist a Offline readers like the old bbs QWK old loffline readers
    > it's was very effective and praticle

    You could still use the old offline readers (in a DOS box) if you could find
    an ISP that had news service and uqwk (or similar Usenet packing and
    unpacking tool). If you have a unix(-like) shell account, perhaps at a
    university or other educational institution, you might find that uqwk is
    still installed.

    The next best thing would be a newsreader that can create a little
    mini-newserver on your machine. Slrn, for example, has such thing. I don't
    know if there is a version that works with Windowz or Mac -- although since
    it is a unix-native program, a wizard could probably make it work with OSX.

    The principal drawback is that newsgroups today are so bloated that even a
    few text groups will be a serious drag on your available disk space. And
    more than a few newsgroups will be very slow, even if you have broadband.
    In the old days people might realistically read every single post in a dozen
    or more newsgroups. That made packing up all the posts and downloading them
    all at once a reasonable and economically desirable thing. Nowadays people
    have to be selective about the threads they follow and the posts they read,
    and that makes downloading all the posts a bad deal.

    --
    Lars Eighner <http://larseighner.com/>
    65 days since Rick Warren prayed over Bush's third term.

    Lars Eighner, Mar 27, 2009