Offline Folders, VPNs, & WiFi

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?U3RlcGhlbiBG?=, Mar 9, 2005.

  1. I have a WinXP Pro SP2 laptop that connects to a Windows 2000 Server SP4
    domain network at home and on the road. At home, it connects through a
    regular Ethernet wired connection, and has reliable connectivity with the
    domain controller. On the road, I connect through Wi-Fi and VPN mostly.

    I used offline folders extensively between my laptop and my home Win2K
    server. Anytime I connect with Wi-Fi and VPN, I always seem to end up with
    problems if the VPN drops or I want to simply use the internet after
    disconnecting from the VPN. The offline folders go offline, but when I try
    to access the offline version of the folders, I get an error message that the
    computer cannot contact the domain controller, and explorer will often not
    respond.

    Is there a way to tell XP that when the VPN is not connected but the WiFi
    still is, for it not to try to communicate with the online version of offline
    folders or domain controller.

    I've tried using csccmd.exe /disconnect:\\SERVER\offline_share to force it,
    but that doesn't avoid the domain controller error and non-responsive
    explorer.

    Is there a way for the cache and domain controller connection to go
    immediately offline when the VPN disconnects but WiFi remains connected?

    =?Utf-8?B?U3RlcGhlbiBG?=, Mar 9, 2005