Offline Files crap

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Rob J, Jan 7, 2006.

  1. Rob J

    Rob J Guest

    We recently replaced one of our servers with another one, and it hasn't
    got all the shares set up on it yet that the old one has. Because of
    this, when you log in on an XP machine that has previously had people
    logged in on it whose shares don't exist on the server, Offline Files
    claims the server is offline and will only give a cached view of the
    server based on its own cache and not the actual live view.

    What a load of crap this piece of software is, it should only show the
    view for the current user, based on whether their share exists or not,
    not throw a fit just because one or two user's shares no longer exist.

    And then the most mind blowingly megalomaniac control freak tyranny of
    all, if Offline Files decides based on its own warped stupid criteria
    that the server is offline, no way will it let you see a live view of
    the server. No way. If you try to access any server resource, Offline
    Files proclaims the server cannot be viewed and will show you only the
    contents of its own cache of the server, which of course, will be what
    it looked like the last time you might have logged onto that particular
    machine, if indeed you ever logged onto it before.

    We spent hours trying to troubleshoot a machine, figuring there must
    really be a network connectivity problem. Thing was, we could log in and
    see the live view of the server for a few seconds, then as soon as
    Offline Files kicked in and decided the server didn't exist, the view of
    the server would change immediately to the offline view. In the end we
    gave up and reinstalled Windows.

    Now, if I disable Offline Files crap, this offline business disappears
    and I can always see the live view of the server, just like I always
    should be able to.
    Rob J, Jan 7, 2006

  2. Rob J

    Paul Smith Guest

    It definitely needs work.

    Drives me mad sometimes between my Tablet PC and my desktop box. I'm hoping
    it will be massively improved in Vista - including performance checking for
    changes, the system should just be able to record all the changes and then
    the remote machine can just get the list of changes without having to scan
    everything.

    --
    Paul Smith,
    Yeovil, UK.

    *Remove 'nospam.' to reply by e-mail*

    Paul Smith, Jan 7, 2006

  3. Rob J

    Steve Guest

    On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 13:53:54 +1300, Rob J wrote:

    > We recently replaced one of our servers with another one, and it hasn't
    > got all the shares set up on it yet that the old one has. Because of
    > this, when you log in on an XP machine that has previously had people
    > logged in on it whose shares don't exist on the server, Offline Files
    > claims the server is offline and will only give a cached view of the
    > server based on its own cache and not the actual live view.

    Sorry but why is it online then? It isn't ready yet.

    > What a load of crap this piece of software is, it should only show the
    > view for the current user, based on whether their share exists or not,
    > not throw a fit just because one or two user's shares no longer exist.

    No, a decent sysadmin should be managing this transfer.

    > And then the most mind blowingly megalomaniac control freak tyranny of
    > all, if Offline Files decides based on its own warped stupid criteria
    > that the server is offline, no way will it let you see a live view of
    > the server. No way. If you try to access any server resource, Offline
    > Files proclaims the server cannot be viewed and will show you only the
    > contents of its own cache of the server, which of course, will be what
    > it looked like the last time you might have logged onto that particular
    > machine, if indeed you ever logged onto it before.
    >
    > We spent hours trying to troubleshoot a machine, figuring there must
    > really be a network connectivity problem. Thing was, we could log in and
    > see the live view of the server for a few seconds, then as soon as
    > Offline Files kicked in and decided the server didn't exist, the view of
    > the server would change immediately to the offline view. In the end we
    > gave up and reinstalled Windows.
    >
    > Now, if I disable Offline Files crap, this offline business disappears
    > and I can always see the live view of the server, just like I always
    > should be able to.

    Thing is, as soon as you have a computer which is accessed by more than
    one person, you need people who actually know how to manage it.
    Steve, Jan 7, 2006
  4. Rob J

    Rob J Guest

    In article <>,
    d says...
    > On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 13:53:54 +1300, Rob J wrote:
    >
    > > We recently replaced one of our servers with another one, and it hasn't
    > > got all the shares set up on it yet that the old one has. Because of
    > > this, when you log in on an XP machine that has previously had people
    > > logged in on it whose shares don't exist on the server, Offline Files
    > > claims the server is offline and will only give a cached view of the
    > > server based on its own cache and not the actual live view.

    > Sorry but why is it online then? It isn't ready yet.
    > >
    > > What a load of crap this piece of software is, it should only show the
    > > view for the current user, based on whether their share exists or not,
    > > not throw a fit just because one or two user's shares no longer exist.

    > No, a decent sysadmin should be managing this transfer.

    Do you suppose that it is always straightforward to set up a new server,
    particularly when the old one died the day the new one was delivered?

    What happens if I delete some users and their home directories? offline
    files will spew over that.
    Rob J, Jan 7, 2006
  5. In news:,
    Rob J <> typed:
    > We recently replaced one of our servers with another one, and it
    > hasn't got all the shares set up on it yet that the old one has.
    > Because of this, when you log in on an XP machine that has previously
    > had people logged in on it whose shares don't exist on the server,
    > Offline Files claims the server is offline and will only give a
    > cached view of the server based on its own cache and not the actual
    > live view.
    >
    > What a load of crap this piece of software is, it should only show the
    > view for the current user, based on whether their share exists or not,
    > not throw a fit just because one or two user's shares no longer exist.
    >
    > And then the most mind blowingly megalomaniac control freak tyranny of
    > all, if Offline Files decides based on its own warped stupid criteria
    > that the server is offline, no way will it let you see a live view of
    > the server. No way. If you try to access any server resource, Offline
    > Files proclaims the server cannot be viewed and will show you only the
    > contents of its own cache of the server, which of course, will be what
    > it looked like the last time you might have logged onto that
    > particular machine, if indeed you ever logged onto it before.
    >
    > We spent hours trying to troubleshoot a machine, figuring there must
    > really be a network connectivity problem. Thing was, we could log in
    > and see the live view of the server for a few seconds, then as soon as
    > Offline Files kicked in and decided the server didn't exist, the view
    > of the server would change immediately to the offline view. In the
    > end we gave up and reinstalled Windows.
    >
    > Now, if I disable Offline Files crap, this offline business disappears
    > and I can always see the live view of the server, just like I always
    > should be able to.

    I don't use offline files. If you need to sync data (for a laptop or remote
    user, for example) check out www.centered.com. It works a LOT better.
    Lanwench [MVP - Exchange], Jan 7, 2006
  6. Rob J

    Edmond Lo Guest

    We had the same problem too when a server was replaced. At the end I had to
    clear the Offline file caching and redo all the offline files.

    Edmond Lo, Jan 8, 2006