    option to sychronize.

    Thanks for your help.
    Michael
    Handy-one, Feb 28, 2008

  2. Handy-one <> wrote:
    > Hello:
    > I have 2 XP Home computers and a printer connected via a wireless home
    > network, and have set up sharing of certain folders on each; however,
    > I was trying to figure out if I could set up offilne sychnronization
    > of the folders, since both computers are not on all the time, and the
    > shared files are inaccessible periodically due to the computers going
    > into standby,etc(The wireless Home networking seems inconsistent)
    > When I go into the Sychronization setup menu it says "No offline
    > folders available for synchronization", but it doesn't seem to let me
    > set up sychronization.
    >
    > My first question - Is this possible on an XP Home box(Or only via XP
    > Pro)- IF so, any thoughts why my networked/shared folders would not
    > give me the option to sychronize.
    >
    > Thanks for your help.
    > Michael

    I believe Offline Files is a Pro thing only - but I'd avoid it anyway. Take
    a look at www.centered.com - SecondCopy is nice.
    Lanwench [MVP - Exchange], Feb 28, 2008

  3. Handy-one

    spamlet Guest

    "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
    <> wrote in message
    > Handy-one <> wrote:
    >> Hello:
    >> I have 2 XP Home computers and a printer connected via a wireless home
    >> network, and have set up sharing of certain folders on each; however,
    >> I was trying to figure out if I could set up offilne sychnronization
    >> of the folders, since both computers are not on all the time, and the
    >> shared files are inaccessible periodically due to the computers going
    >> into standby,etc(The wireless Home networking seems inconsistent)
    >> When I go into the Sychronization setup menu it says "No offline
    >> folders available for synchronization", but it doesn't seem to let me
    >> set up sychronization.
    >>
    >> My first question - Is this possible on an XP Home box(Or only via XP
    >> Pro)- IF so, any thoughts why my networked/shared folders would not
    >> give me the option to sychronize.
    >>
    >> Thanks for your help.
    >> Michael

    > I believe Offline Files is a Pro thing only - but I'd avoid it anyway.
    > Take a look at www.centered.com - SecondCopy is nice.

    You could, presumably, have networked storage, instead of filing everything
    on the pcs. Having a big external hard drive/s plugged into your router
    would seem to do the job. Then you have both your back up and your
    synchronisation sorted. (That is what I am looking in to doing, but have not
    taken the plunge yet for want of deciding what to buy! A novice in this, so
    if anyone else wants to comment I'm 'all ears'.)

    spamlet, Feb 28, 2008
  4. spamlet <> wrote:
    > "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
    > <> wrote in
    > message news:%...
    >> Handy-one <> wrote:
    >>> Hello:
    >>> I have 2 XP Home computers and a printer connected via a wireless
    >>> home network, and have set up sharing of certain folders on each;
    >>> however, I was trying to figure out if I could set up offilne
    >>> sychnronization of the folders, since both computers are not on all
    >>> the time, and the shared files are inaccessible periodically due to
    >>> the computers going into standby,etc(The wireless Home networking
    >>> seems inconsistent) When I go into the Sychronization setup menu it
    >>> says "No offline folders available for synchronization", but it
    >>> doesn't seem to let me set up sychronization.
    >>>
    >>> My first question - Is this possible on an XP Home box(Or only via
    >>> XP Pro)- IF so, any thoughts why my networked/shared folders would
    >>> not give me the option to sychronize.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for your help.
    >>> Michael

    >> I believe Offline Files is a Pro thing only - but I'd avoid it
    >> anyway. Take a look at www.centered.com - SecondCopy is nice.
    >>

    > You could, presumably, have networked storage, instead of filing
    > everything on the pcs. Having a big external hard drive/s plugged
    > into your router would seem to do the job. Then you have both your
    > back up and your synchronisation sorted. (That is what I am looking
    > in to doing, but have not taken the plunge yet for want of deciding
    > what to buy! A novice in this, so if anyone else wants to comment
    > I'm 'all ears'.)

    Yes - Windows Home Server would also do nicely. That won't make any
    difference where WinXP Home and its lack of offline files support are
    concerned, however.

    (Pssst: I think you meant to reply to the OP, not to me)
    Lanwench [MVP - Exchange], Feb 28, 2008
  5. Handy-one

    spamlet Guest

    "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
    <> wrote in message
    > spamlet <> wrote:
    >> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
    >> <> wrote in
    >> message news:%...

    >>> I believe Offline Files is a Pro thing only - but I'd avoid it
    >>> anyway. Take a look at www.centered.com - SecondCopy is nice.
    >>>

    >> You could, presumably, have networked storage, instead of filing
    >> everything on the pcs. Having a big external hard drive/s plugged
    >> into your router would seem to do the job. Then you have both your
    >> back up and your synchronisation sorted. (That is what I am looking
    >> in to doing, but have not taken the plunge yet for want of deciding
    >> what to buy! A novice in this, so if anyone else wants to comment
    >> I'm 'all ears'.)

    > Yes - Windows Home Server would also do nicely. That won't make any
    > difference where WinXP Home and its lack of offline files support are
    > concerned, however.
    >
    > (Pssst: I think you meant to reply to the OP, not to me)

    Oops,
    Thanks for picking me up on that.
    Must be more careful where I click.

    Cheers.
    spamlet, Feb 29, 2008
  6. spamlet <> wrote:
    > "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
    > <> wrote in
    > message news:%...
    >> spamlet <> wrote:
    >>> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
    >>> <> wrote in
    >>> message news:%...

    >>> You could, presumably, have networked storage, instead of filing
    >>> everything on the pcs. Having a big external hard drive/s plugged
    >>> into your router would seem to do the job. Then you have both your
    >>> back up and your synchronisation sorted. (That is what I am looking
    >>> in to doing, but have not taken the plunge yet for want of deciding
    >>> what to buy! A novice in this, so if anyone else wants to comment
    >>> I'm 'all ears'.)

    >> Yes - Windows Home Server would also do nicely. That won't make any
    >> difference where WinXP Home and its lack of offline files support are
    >> concerned, however.
    >>
    >> (Pssst: I think you meant to reply to the OP, not to me)
    >>

    > Oops,
    > Thanks for picking me up on that.
    > Must be more careful where I click.
    >
    > Cheers.