    Sincerely
    Microsoft Technology Advancement Program "

    the text above was an email response to my question
    =?Utf-8?B?c3RldmUgaC4=?=, Jun 22, 2005

  2. Yeah, its been known a long time now.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 22, 2005

  3. Re: Official answer about cost of X64 tradeup, shipping and handli

    How can International addresses, Non-US customers be responsible for all
    taxes and import duties if its a free product? I hope the value on the
    customs declaration is $0, that way they cant charge me import duties, but if
    it has a value above $100 then they will

    =?Utf-8?B?U3RldmUxMDc3?=, Jun 23, 2005
  4. Re: Official answer about cost of X64 tradeup, shipping and handli

    Its better than paying $140 to $155.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 23, 2005
  5. =?Utf-8?B?c3RldmUgaC4=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Re: Official answer about cost of X64 tradeup, shipping and handli

    Not really, if you give up your license and find out it's going to cost many
    times that to replace your hardware/software and you have to buy yourself a
    new x86 license.
    Do the trial first, then the upgrade if it works for you.

    John Barnes, Jun 23, 2005
  6. Re: Official answer about cost of X64 tradeup, shipping and handli

    Well, true, but if you know about XP Pro x64, you should know what you are
    getting yourself into.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 23, 2005
  7. =?Utf-8?B?c3RldmUgaC4=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Re: Official answer about cost of X64 tradeup, shipping and handli

    Unfortunately, people buy a 64-bit computer because the salesman tells them
    they should prepare for the future, it comes with x86, they see something
    about x64 somewhere and find the 'free upgrade' and they say 'cool, I have a
    64-bit computer, and free, I'll upgrade' without 'knowing' . Most people
    posting here seem to be dual booting or were in the beta program, so there
    haven't been too many wanting to go back to x86, but as the ' exchange '
    disks get delivered, I fear that with no support anywhere but here, that x64
    will get a bad reputation when it doesn't deserve it.

    John Barnes, Jun 23, 2005
  8. Re: Official answer about cost of X64 tradeup, shipping and handli

    Hard developers are sneaky, they are saving up all the development resources
    for the next version of Windows.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 23, 2005
  9. Re: Official answer about cost of X64 tradeup, shipping and handli

    Steve;
    There will most likely be a value for at least the media.
    My experience has been less than $1 US assuming one CD, probably closer to
    35 cents.
    But that is pretty close to $0.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    Jupiter Jones [MVP], Jun 23, 2005
  10. Re: Official answer about cost of X64 tradeup, shipping and handli

    The value is in the intellectual property, that is what you are paying for,
    in most cases, Intellectual property is priceless.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 24, 2005
  11. Re: Official answer about cost of X64 tradeup, shipping and handli

    The intellectual property value is not the value Microsoft uses in cases
    such as this in my experience.
    The media is what the value is placed.

    Jupiter Jones [MVP], Jun 24, 2005
  12. Re: Official answer about cost of X64 tradeup, shipping and handli

    So the money goes to the people in the art department for packaging design?

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 24, 2005
  13. Re: Official answer about cost of X64 tradeup, shipping and handli

    Apparently, but the specifics here will be known when someone outside the US
    actually receives the CD and posts the information on the form.

    Jupiter Jones [MVP], Jun 24, 2005
  14. Re: Official answer about cost of X64 tradeup, shipping and handli

    > Apparently, but the specifics here will be known when someone outside the
    > US actually receives the CD and posts the information on the form.

    Besides, customs agents in each country are pretty much free to assert any
    "value" they wish and charge taxes based on that. In general it's the same
    as government employees not being required either to obey laws or to
    acknowledge facts in any country, but actual results vary from country to
    country and from case to case.

    One time I was charged an inspection fee but no taxes. One time I was
    charged sales tax (at the tax rate of the country where the mail arrived not
    where it was sent from) but no other fees or taxes. One time a piece of
    mail contained a postal money order for the purpose of buying and
    subsequently mailing merchandise to the original person, and a customs agent
    decided to declare a value for the money order as a printed piece of paper,
    fortunately not the amount of money that the money order would turn into,
    but not zero either.

    So just finding one case where someone outside Japan receives one CD, that's
    not going to lead to any general useful information.
    Norman Diamond, Jun 27, 2005
  15. Re: Official answer about cost of X64 tradeup, shipping and handli

    I am referring to the value Microsoft places on the paperwork.
    What the local authorities do with that is not really relevant to my point.
    The figure I have recently seen on two export documents is 38 cents per CD.

    Jupiter Jones [MVP], Jun 27, 2005