    to the start menu or taskbar, I get the same problem.
    I also have Outlook 2007 installed, but the icon for this works normally.
    Any ideas how to fix this?

    MTCS, Nov 20, 2009

  2. MTCS

    Dennis Pack Guest

    MTCS:
    As a test I installed just Office XP Excel in compatibility mode for
    XP service Pack 3 since it's a program that's not updated any more and the
    icons appear normally as it does in Office 2010 Beta. Installing Office XP
    in compatibility mode should cure your icon problems. Have a great day.
    --
    Dennis Pack
    Win-7 Enterprise x64, Win-7 Professional x64.

    __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4625 (20091120) __________

    http://www.eset.com

    Dennis Pack, Nov 21, 2009

  3. MTCS

    Jim Guest

    On Nov 20, 9:56 am, MTCS <> wrote:
    > I installed Office XP on a PC running Windows 7 Pro x64.
    > The icons for the various office programs exist, but are blank. When I look
    > at the shortcuts, it doesn't allow me to choose the location of the icon -
    > it's greyed out. I've run windws explorer elevated, but I still can't change
    > the icon location.
    > If I navigate to the Winword.exe location, it has an icon. If I create a new
    > shortcut, that new shortcut also doesn't have an icon. If I try pinning one
    > to the start menu or taskbar, I get the same problem.
    > I also have Outlook 2007 installed, but the icon for this works normally.
    > Any ideas how to fix this?

    I've had that problem with several different problems in 64-bit
    operating sysems (XP Professional 64-bit, Vista 64-bit. and now
    Windows 7 64-bit). I've also had the problem with newer, 64-bit
    programs, so I do not think it is only the age of the programs.
    Eventually it "fixed itself," but I have *no* idea how. I assumed it
    *might* have something to do with memory allocation for the desktop
    icons, but some of the other forum members will have a better idea.

    Good luck! :)

    Jim

    Jim, Nov 21, 2009