Office Update breaks IE 6

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Steve Freides, Sep 6, 2005.

  1. Running the nearly-latest XP with virus, spyware, etc. protection. Did
    an update for MS Office, now IE won't run - terminates with:

    Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

    Runtime Error!

    Program C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

    way. Please contact the applications support team for mroe information.

    Very odd in that my home page is about:blank so it's not trying to open
    anything - it doesn't even get that far.

    Since I can't run IE, I can't perform a WindowsUpdate, either.

    Any thoughts on what to try next?

    TIA.

    -S-

    Steve Freides, Sep 6, 2005

  2. Steve Freides

    Mike Easter Guest

    Steve Freides wrote:

    > Did an update for MS Office, now IE won't run - terminates with:
    >
    > Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

    'Back up' and uninstall the office update, if you can, I would think.

    > Any thoughts on what to try next?

    After you uninstall the update, see if IE needs repairing. If you can't
    uninstall the update in MS's infinite wisdom, repair IE without
    uninstalling the update.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Sep 6, 2005

  3. How does one see if IE needs repairing, and/or repair it?

    -S-

    Steve Freides, Sep 7, 2005
  4. Steve Freides

    Mike Easter Guest

    Steve Freides wrote:
    > How does one see if IE needs repairing, and/or repair it?

    It is hard to see what it is you are talking about or who you are
    talking to or what they said that you are replying to because you posted
    some words up there in the air while pushing everything else down below
    your very important words up there without any trimming or
    contextualization, but...

    .... you don't 'see if IE needs repairing'.

    You say - "Repair IE" and then the process begins, whatever that might
    be.

    This is windows, not linux.

    To repair IE, [I'm a Win98 person, not XP, so make the necessary
    adjustments where appropriate] you access add/remove programs and select
    IE and click the add/remove button. Then you are given 3 choices, add a
    component, repair IE, or restore the previous configuration. You choose
    repair and then win does whatever win does.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Sep 7, 2005
  5. "Steve Freides" <> wrote in message
    > Running the nearly-latest XP with virus, spyware, etc. protection.
    > Did an update for MS Office, now IE won't run - terminates with:
    >
    > Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
    >
    > Runtime Error!
    >
    > Program C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    >
    > This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an
    > unusual way. Please contact the applications support team for mroe
    > information.
    >

    > Very odd in that my home page is about:blank so it's not trying to
    > open anything - it doesn't even get that far.
    >
    > Since I can't run IE, I can't perform a WindowsUpdate, either.
    >
    > Any thoughts on what to try next?
    >
    > TIA.
    >
    > -S-

    I removed, then reinstalled Internet Explorer - it still does precisely
    the same thing, no change in behavior whatsoever.

    -S-

    Steve Freides, Sep 7, 2005
  6. Steve Freides

    Mike Easter Guest

    Steve Freides wrote:
    > I removed, then reinstalled Internet Explorer - it still does
    > precisely the same thing, no change in behavior whatsoever.

    You didn't say anything about the #1 recommendation about uninstalling
    the update that caused the problem in the first place.

    Mike Easter, Sep 7, 2005
  7. "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    > Steve Freides wrote:
    >> I removed, then reinstalled Internet Explorer - it still does
    >> precisely the same thing, no change in behavior whatsoever.

    > You didn't say anything about the #1 recommendation about uninstalling
    > the update that caused the problem in the first place.
    >
    > Mike Easter wrote:
    >> 'Back up' and uninstall the office update, if you can, I would think.

    I see no way to do that.

    Clicking "Windows Update" from inside the Control Panel actually worked,
    so I'm doing all that now. We'll see if that fixes anything.

    -S_

    Steve Freides, Sep 7, 2005
  8. "Steve Freides" <> wrote in message
    > "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    >> Steve Freides wrote:
    >>> I removed, then reinstalled Internet Explorer - it still does
    >>> precisely the same thing, no change in behavior whatsoever.

    >> You didn't say anything about the #1 recommendation about
    >> uninstalling
    >> the update that caused the problem in the first place.
    >>
    >> Mike Easter wrote:
    >>> 'Back up' and uninstall the office update, if you can, I would
    >>> think.

    > I see no way to do that.
    >
    > Clicking "Windows Update" from inside the Control Panel actually
    > worked, so I'm doing all that now. We'll see if that fixes anything.

    Fixed nothing, except that by going in this way, I can at least have a
    functioning browser. But just starting IE from my desktop shortcut for
    it doesn't work - it still gives that error message.

    -S-

    Steve Freides, Sep 7, 2005
  9. "Steve Freides" <> wrote in message
    > "Steve Freides" <> wrote in message
    >> "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> You didn't say anything about the #1 recommendation about
    >>> uninstalling
    >>> the update that caused the problem in the first place.

    >> I see no way to do that.
    >>
    >> Clicking "Windows Update" from inside the Control Panel actually
    >> worked, so I'm doing all that now. We'll see if that fixes
    >> anything.

    > Fixed nothing, except that by going in this way, I can at least have a
    > functioning browser. But just starting IE from my desktop shortcut
    > for it doesn't work - it still gives that error message.

    A further update - I noticed the WindowsUpdate IE window did not have
    Google Toolbar. I went into Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, and
    removed Google Toolbar, after which my system seems to behave normally.

    I will try to find a place to report this to Google.

    -S-
    http://www.kbnj.com

    Steve Freides, Sep 7, 2005
  10. Steve Freides

    Mike Easter Guest

    Steve Freides wrote:

    >> Mike Easter wrote:
    >>> 'Back up' and uninstall the office update, if you can, I would
    >>> think.

    > I see no way to do that.

    Exactly what update are we talking about? If you go back to where you
    got the update you might be able to figure out if it is uninstallable.
    Or you might be able to see the update # inside an office app like Word
    in the About, or you might be able to see it in the add/remove programs,
    or you might be able to see it in the system information, which in W98
    has hardware resources, components, software environment [which has
    software updates in it], internet explorer, and MS Office sections.

    Is this Office XP or some other v?

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Sep 7, 2005
  11. Steve Freides

    Mike Easter Guest

    Steve Freides wrote:

    > A further update - I noticed the WindowsUpdate IE window did not have
    > Google Toolbar. I went into Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, and
    > removed Google Toolbar, after which my system seems to behave
    > normally.

    Good; but it doesn't seem like we learned anything. Oh well.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Sep 7, 2005
  12. "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    > Steve Freides wrote:

    >> I see no way to do that.

    > Exactly what update are we talking about? If you go back to where you
    > got the update you might be able to figure out if it is uninstallable.
    > Or you might be able to see the update # inside an office app like
    > Word
    > in the About, or you might be able to see it in the add/remove
    > programs,
    > or you might be able to see it in the system information, which in W98
    > has hardware resources, components, software environment [which has
    > software updates in it], internet explorer, and MS Office sections.
    >
    > Is this Office XP or some other v?

    I'm using Office 2003, the version after Office XP if memory serves.

    I got the update by following the "Office Online" link in the Help menu
    while in any Office application. You click, it tells you what you need,
    you say "OK" and it installs it. I just redid it and there is an
    option to show already installed updates, but there is no indication of
    what order the list is presented in nor any other way I can see to tell
    which update(s) was/were installed by me yesterday.

    -S-

    Steve Freides, Sep 7, 2005