Office Space special edition

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Nikko, Jul 29, 2004.

  1. Nikko

    Nikko Guest

    I heard there was a special edition announced for release. Can anyone
    confirm this? Also, where is generally a good place to hear/check on that
    kind of thing? Other than here, naturally.
    Nikko, Jul 29, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Nikko

    Mike Jackson Guest

    >I heard there was a special edition announced for release. Can anyone
    > confirm this? Also, where is generally a good place to hear/check on that
    > kind of thing? Other than here, naturally.


    There's been rumors for a while, but nothing concrete. The Digital Bits
    (www.thedigitalbits.com) is a good place to check, especially their Rumor
    Mill.

    Mike Jackson
    Editor & Web Developer, DVD Verdict
    www.dvdverdict.com
    Mike Jackson, Jul 29, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. I don't think Mike Judge was pleased with how the studio that released it
    marketed it, so a special edition is probably not in the pipeline.

    If you want to see the original OFFICE SPACE short film, check out THE
    ANIMATION SHOW DVD, which is a compilation from the festival Judge started with
    Don Hertzfeld last year.
    Vlvetmorning98, Jul 30, 2004
    #3
  4. Nikko

    Doonie Guest

    On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 13:31:52 -0700, Derek Janssen wrote:

    >We know the movie's been raised to mountain-pedestal godhood by wishful
    >post-Gen-X office drones who rhapsodize "Ohh, look at that character up
    >there...It's ME! I hate my job, too! Someone has made a cult classic
    >to speak to my life!", but the sad fact is, Judge's attempt to direct a
    >movie--in the sense that shots move, actors act, and sophmoric one-note
    >stereotypes look better on cartoon characters than poor, flesh-and-blood
    >humans--flopped, whether you wish it had been a hit to symbolize your
    >poor, unjust repression or not.


    Funny movie, though. :)

    --
    http://911research.wtc7.net
    Doonie, Jul 30, 2004
    #4
  5. Nikko

    Invid Fan Guest

    In article <>, Doonie
    <> wrote:

    > On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 13:31:52 -0700, Derek Janssen wrote:
    >
    > >We know the movie's been raised to mountain-pedestal godhood by wishful
    > >post-Gen-X office drones who rhapsodize "Ohh, look at that character up
    > >there...It's ME! I hate my job, too! Someone has made a cult classic
    > >to speak to my life!", but the sad fact is, Judge's attempt to direct a
    > >movie--in the sense that shots move, actors act, and sophmoric one-note
    > >stereotypes look better on cartoon characters than poor, flesh-and-blood
    > >humans--flopped, whether you wish it had been a hit to symbolize your
    > >poor, unjust repression or not.

    >
    > Funny movie, though. :)


    And re-releasing flops to soak up some money from idiots... I mean,
    fans of cult shows... isn't unheard of.

    --
    Chris Mack "Refugee, total shit. That's how I've always seen us.
    'Invid Fan' Not a help, you'll admit, to agreement between us."
    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS
    Invid Fan, Jul 30, 2004
    #5
  6. >Derek, have you ever written a post in this forum where you didn't act
    >rip apart other people's favorite movies for no particular reason? If
    >so, they are few and far between. You might consider finding something
    >more constructive to spend your time on.


    hear, hear
    Vlvetmorning98, Jul 30, 2004
    #6
  7. OFFICE SPACE may not have done well when it was initially released, but it's
    become a mega-hit on DVD, and often plays the midnight movie circuit
    Vlvetmorning98, Jul 30, 2004
    #7
  8. Nikko

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Derek Janssen" <> wrote in message
    news:410ab222$0$2817$...
    > > Derek, have you ever written a post in this forum where you didn't
    > > rip apart other people's favorite movies for no particular reason?

    If
    > > so, they are few and far between. You might consider finding

    something
    > > more constructive to spend your time on.

    >
    > Oh, a few now and then--
    >
    > But just asking: Is "'Milton: the Movie', because SNL and everyone

    else
    > was beating his only other garage-brainfart that MTV didn't own into

    the
    > ground when they all wanted a piece of MTV's gravy train that wasn't
    > nailed down, and One-Trick-Pony Judge didn't have a second act while

    the
    > B&B Movie was stuck in development hell" REALLY your "favorite

    movie"?...

    I would not say it is my #1 favorite movie, but I enjoyed it
    sufficiently and don't denigrate other people who would call it their
    favorite.

    > Or did you just have a hard day at the cubicles and fall victim to a
    > temporarily smitten infatuation of "The enemy of my enemy is my
    > brilliantly counter-culture friend"?


    I think you are under a misunderstanding here. You see, just because you
    CAN be an ass, doesn't mean you HAVE to be. I don't think anyone ever
    properly explained that to you.

    I'm not going to get into a drawn-out fight with you, Derek, because
    it's not worth the time for either of us. However, I have to point out
    that it seems to be your sole purpose in this newsgroup to shit on
    everyone else's opinion of anything. You may not realize it from your
    perspective. In fact, you may even believe yourself to be witty or
    clever with your sarcastic repartee. But from the perspective of an
    impartial observing party, you just come across as a jerk most times.
    Surely, you must have better things to do with your time?
    Joshua Zyber, Jul 30, 2004
    #8
  9. Joshua Zyber wrote:

    >>We know the movie's been raised to mountain-pedestal godhood by wishful
    >>post-Gen-X office drones who rhapsodize "Ohh, look at that character up
    >>there...It's ME! I hate my job, too! Someone has made a cult classic
    >>to speak to my life!", but the sad fact is, Judge's attempt to direct a
    >>movie--in the sense that shots move, actors act, and sophmoric one-note
    >>stereotypes look better on cartoon characters than poor flesh-and-blood
    >>humans--flopped, whether you wish it had been a hit to symbolize your
    >>poor, unjust repression or not.
    >>And a movie flops when normal people don't go to see it.

    >
    > Derek, have you ever written a post in this forum where you didn't act
    > rip apart other people's favorite movies for no particular reason? If
    > so, they are few and far between. You might consider finding something
    > more constructive to spend your time on.


    Oh, a few now and then--

    But just asking: Is "'Milton: the Movie', because SNL and everyone else
    was beating his only other garage-brainfart that MTV didn't own into the
    ground when they all wanted a piece of MTV's gravy train that wasn't
    nailed down, and One-Trick-Pony Judge didn't have a second act while the
    B&B Movie was stuck in development hell" REALLY your "favorite movie"?...
    Or did you just have a hard day at the cubicles and fall victim to a
    temporarily smitten infatuation of "The enemy of my enemy is my
    brilliantly counter-culture friend"?

    Derek Janssen (I mean, do you see disgruntled Canadians going around
    saying "'Canadian Bacon' was underappreciated social satire!"?)
    Derek Janssen, Jul 31, 2004
    #9
  10. Nikko

    Doonie Guest

    On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 15:18:05 -0400, Invid Fan wrote:

    >Doonie wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 13:31:52 -0700, Derek Janssen wrote:
    >>
    >> >We know the movie's been raised to mountain-pedestal godhood by wishful
    >> >post-Gen-X office drones who rhapsodize "Ohh, look at that character up
    >> >there...It's ME! I hate my job, too! Someone has made a cult classic
    >> >to speak to my life!", but the sad fact is, Judge's attempt to direct a
    >> >movie--in the sense that shots move, actors act, and sophmoric one-note
    >> >stereotypes look better on cartoon characters than poor, flesh-and-blood
    >> >humans--flopped, whether you wish it had been a hit to symbolize your
    >> >poor, unjust repression or not.

    >>
    >> Funny movie, though. :)

    >
    >And re-releasing flops to soak up some money from idiots... I mean,
    >fans of cult shows... isn't unheard of.


    Lots of good movies bombed at the box office but did well in home
    video release. This Is Spinal Tap, UHF, Office Space. You'd have to
    be stupid not to know something like this.
    Besides, an anamorphic release of Office Space isn't too much to ask
    of Fox. You *did* know Office Space isn't 16x9 enhanced, right?
    Pretty SIMPLE thing to find out.

    --
    http://911research.wtc7.net
    Doonie, Jul 31, 2004
    #10
  11. Joshua Zyber wrote:
    >

    snip
    >
    >
    > I'm not going to get into a drawn-out fight with you, Derek, because
    > it's not worth the time for either of us. However, I have to point out
    > that it seems to be your sole purpose in this newsgroup to shit on
    > everyone else's opinion of anything. You may not realize it from your
    > perspective. In fact, you may even believe yourself to be witty or
    > clever with your sarcastic repartee. But from the perspective of an
    > impartial observing party, you just come across as a jerk most times.
    > Surely, you must have better things to do with your time?


    And don't you just love his cute closing comments in brackets? It's like
    a bonus treat for his fans... and he probably is really serious about it, too.

    l8er
    ronny (see, now I tried to add something here, but I can't compete...)
    Ronald Stoehr, Jul 31, 2004
    #11
  12. Nikko

    Rob Mac Guest

    "Ronald Stoehr" <> wrote in message
    news:cegne2$69u$03$-online.com...
    > Joshua Zyber wrote:
    > >

    > snip
    > >
    > >
    > > I'm not going to get into a drawn-out fight with you, Derek, because
    > > it's not worth the time for either of us. However, I have to point out
    > > that it seems to be your sole purpose in this newsgroup to shit on
    > > everyone else's opinion of anything. You may not realize it from your
    > > perspective. In fact, you may even believe yourself to be witty or
    > > clever with your sarcastic repartee. But from the perspective of an
    > > impartial observing party, you just come across as a jerk most times.
    > > Surely, you must have better things to do with your time?

    >
    > And don't you just love his cute closing comments in brackets? It's like
    > a bonus treat for his fans... and he probably is really serious about it,

    too.
    >
    > l8er
    > ronny (see, now I tried to add something here, but I can't compete...)


    Actually, longtime alt.video.dvders will know that's a trademark he ripped
    off from Norm Milner a few years ago.
    Norm was smart and funny, Derek is just sad and lonely.

    Rob ("I'll never rip off another person's clever invention....seriously....I
    won't....Um....nope") Mac
    Rob Mac, Sep 2, 2004
    #12
  13. Nikko

    dan. Guest

    I read in an article a few years ago that there won't be another DVD edition
    of "Office Space" because Mike Judge IIRC had a very lousy time during in
    production dealing w/the studio and that if he did any work on a director's
    track or anything else for a new version it would bring back lotsa bad
    memories. Yeah, I know he'd make a butt load of $$$ over a new version, but
    he won't do it.

    Don't hold your breath for a new version of "Office Space" DVD.

    dan
    (always says NO when offered a "Cleveland Steamer".)

    "Rob Mac" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >
    > "Derek Janssen" <> wrote in message
    > news:410a8444$0$2836$...
    > > Vlvetmorning98 wrote:
    > >
    > > > I don't think Mike Judge was pleased with how the studio that released

    > it
    > > > marketed it, so a special edition is probably not in the pipeline.

    > >
    > > In fact, Fox has been even more specific: Ain't never going to happen.
    > >
    > > And there's a reason for that, you see--It BOMBED in the theaters in

    1999.
    > > Opened at seventh place, dropped off the list two weeks later, and Mike
    > > Judge's directorial career came to the mysteriously grinding halt that
    > > 90's nostalgists have often noted...
    > > And the fact that the "Beavis & Butthead" director's live-action ouevre
    > > did its swan dive within a few months of Matt Parker & Trey Stone's
    > > "BASEketball" did not go unnoticed by studios either.
    > >
    > > Yes. These are facts.
    > > We know the movie's been raised to mountain-pedestal godhood by wishful
    > > post-Gen-X office drones who rhapsodize "Ohh, look at that character up
    > > there...It's ME! I hate my job, too! Someone has made a cult classic
    > > to speak to my life!", but the sad fact is, Judge's attempt to direct a
    > > movie--in the sense that shots move, actors act, and sophmoric one-note
    > > stereotypes look better on cartoon characters than poor, flesh-and-blood
    > > humans--flopped, whether you wish it had been a hit to symbolize your
    > > poor, unjust repression or not.
    > > And a movie flops when normal people don't go to see it.
    > >
    > > Derek Janssen (do I sound particularly un-nostalgic?)
    > >
    > >

    >
    > The fact that it did not do well in the box-office means nothing...nothing
    > at all. Far worse films are released on DVD on a weekly basis because the
    > studios know there's always a fan base and there's always life after the
    > silver screen, in fact, that's where the bucks are, since there's a

    limited
    > amount of time for a movie to pull in the bucks during a theatrical

    release,
    > home video is immortal. And you can't say the movie doesn't have it's

    fans,
    > most people I know are aware of the movie and many are huge fans (as am

    I).
    > It's a funny ass movie whether you work in an office/cubicle setting or

    not,
    > it's just funny. So I'd say it has a pretty faithful following that's

    still
    > growing.
    >
    > Besides, and please correct me if I'm wrong here, but wasn't a Special
    > Edition all set to go a few years ago and was pulled at the last minute
    > (almost literally) because the library was sold to another studio? Same
    > thing happened with Orgazmo; S.E. nearly released until the rights were

    sold
    > last minute.
    >
    > RobMac
    >
    >
    dan., Sep 2, 2004
    #13
  14. >Actually, longtime alt.video.dvders will know that's a trademark he ripped
    >off from Norm Milner a few years ago.
    >Norm was smart and funny, Derek is just sad and lonely.


    amen
    Vlvetmorning98, Sep 3, 2004
    #14
  15. Rob Mac wrote:


    > Actually, longtime alt.video.dvders will know that's a trademark he ripped
    > off from Norm Milner a few years ago.
    > Norm was smart and funny, Derek is just sad and lonely.
    >
    > Rob ("I'll never rip off another person's clever invention....seriously....I
    > won't....Um....nope") Mac


    As much as I admire Norm Milner, he did not invent that signature.

    Matthew (who has used it since the 1980's and stole it himself)

    --
    Thermodynamics and/or Golf for dummies: There is a game
    You can't win
    You can't break even
    You can't get out of the game
    Matthew L. Martin, Sep 4, 2004
    #15
  16. Nikko

    Mark Spatny Guest

    "Derek Janssen" <> wrote
    > > Mike Judge's directorial career came to the mysteriously grinding halt


    Mike is editing his next movie right now:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387808/
    Mark Spatny, Sep 5, 2004
    #16
  17. Vlvetmorning98, Sep 5, 2004
    #17
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Jimmy Clay

    Microsoft Office Specialist Study Guide Office 2003 Edition

    Jimmy Clay, Sep 10, 2004, in forum: Microsoft Certification
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    1,277
    Guest
    Sep 10, 2004
  2. Vlvetmorning98

    "Office Space" special edition?

    Vlvetmorning98, Oct 14, 2003, in forum: DVD Video
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    363
    Vlvetmorning98
    Oct 14, 2003
  3. Rclrk43
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    560
    Jay G.
    Dec 29, 2004
  4. DVD Verdict
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    487
    DVD Verdict
    Nov 1, 2005
  5. Death from Above

    Special Report: How special are you?

    Death from Above, Mar 19, 2007, in forum: MCSE
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    475
    Kline Sphere
    Mar 19, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page