Office Genuine Advantage - bug

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by peterwn, Jan 23, 2010.

  1. peterwn

    peterwn Guest

    Had to load a friend's notebook from scratch. Installed (presumably
    reimaged) XP from rescue disc, then applied SP2 & SP3. Also installed
    Office (OEM from discs originally supplied with computer). In other
    words everything is squeaky clean from the 'genuine' point of view.
    Applied all essential updates to present as pretty well required by
    Microsoft. Now I get a message that Office Genuine Advantage is
    closing down because of an error. Rebooted twice more and keep
    getting it. Seems my efforts are down the gurgler.

    Anyone have any ideas what I can do about it?
    peterwn, Jan 23, 2010
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. peterwn

    victor Guest

    impossible wrote:
    >
    > "peterwn" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >> Had to load a friend's notebook from scratch. Installed (presumably
    >> reimaged) XP from rescue disc, then applied SP2 & SP3. Also installed
    >> Office (OEM from discs originally supplied with computer). In other
    >> words everything is squeaky clean from the 'genuine' point of view.
    >> Applied all essential updates to present as pretty well required by
    >> Microsoft. Now I get a message that Office Genuine Advantage is
    >> closing down because of an error. Rebooted twice more and keep
    >> getting it. Seems my efforts are down the gurgler.
    >>
    >> Anyone have any ideas what I can do about it?

    >
    > <shakes head>
    >
    > Install a valid licensed copy of XP, troll, not that "presumably
    > reimaged" version you downloaded from PiarteBay.


    If he used the rescue disk its licensed isn't it ?
    Or are you just being a dick ?
    victor, Jan 23, 2010
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. peterwn

    peterwn Guest

    On Jan 23, 5:42 pm, "impossible" <> wrote:
    > "victor" <> wrote in message
    >
    > news:hjdudn$7fb$-september.org...
    >
    >
    >
    > > impossible wrote:

    >
    > >> "peterwn" <> wrote in message
    > >>news:....
    > >>> Had to load a friend's notebook from scratch. Installed (presumably
    > >>> reimaged) XP from rescue disc, then applied SP2 & SP3.  Also installed
    > >>> Office (OEM from discs originally supplied with computer).  In other
    > >>> words everything is squeaky clean from the 'genuine' point of view.
    > >>> Applied all essential updates to present as pretty well required by
    > >>> Microsoft.  Now I get a message that Office Genuine Advantage is
    > >>> closing down because of an error.  Rebooted twice more and keep
    > >>> getting it.  Seems my efforts are down the gurgler.

    >
    > >>> Anyone have any ideas what I can do about it?

    >
    > >> <shakes head>

    >
    > >> Install a valid licensed copy of XP, troll, not that "presumably
    > >> reimaged" version you downloaded from PiarteBay.

    >
    > > If he used the rescue disk its licensed isn't it ?

    >
    > I doubt it. Peter the Whine is nz.comp's chief piracy advocate. What do you
    > suppose a  "presumably reimaged" version of XP is?.


    When you buy a computer, the maker supplies 'rescue' CD's to enable
    the computer to be restored to its original 'as new' state.
    I do not know how the CD's actually work, but as far as I know, OEM
    rescue CD's contain a copy of the image used to bulk install XP on the
    computers sold (the image being that of the prototype XP installation
    for that model of computer). This is opposed to a 'shrinkware' CD
    which contains the componetry and the means of building XP to suit the
    hardware in question and to build up the registry. This is why I
    referred to an 'image'. I may be mistaken with respect to these
    details but this is not material. XP passed muster with Windows
    Genuine Advantage, it was Office Genuine Advantage that crashed
    despite the Office CD's being genuine and used with this computer
    only. I allowed the system to file the 'failure report' with
    Microsoft. I obviously would have 'declined' this if using a
    counterfeit version.

    <WHINE>I put in alot of my own time helping my friend and the non-
    profit organisation she works for, so I consider it a really poor show
    to have serious false accusations made against me while helping this
    organisation.</WHINE>

    I have a challenge for 'Impossible'. I would like him to invite a
    friend or business associate (I do not mind if that person works for
    Microsoft) to visit me in Wellington (at say the Library or a coffee
    shop) and I will show him or her the computer in question and the CD's
    from which Windows XP and Office were installed. If this challenge is
    not taken up, people can draw their own conclusions as to what the
    actual situation is.
    peterwn, Jan 23, 2010
    #3
  4. In message <hjdudn$7fb$-september.org>, victor wrote:

    > Or are you just being a dick ?


    “impossible†has several times in the past loudly proclaimed that you have
    to quote the full context of someone’s posting when replying to them,
    presumably in order to ensure that your reply is not in some way “out of
    contextâ€.

    It would be interesting to see if this part gets quoted in his followup...
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 23, 2010
    #4
  5. peterwn

    EMB Guest

    On 23/01/2010 4:38 p.m., peterwn wrote:
    > Had to load a friend's notebook from scratch. Installed (presumably
    > reimaged) XP from rescue disc, then applied SP2& SP3. Also installed
    > Office (OEM from discs originally supplied with computer). In other
    > words everything is squeaky clean from the 'genuine' point of view.
    > Applied all essential updates to present as pretty well required by
    > Microsoft. Now I get a message that Office Genuine Advantage is
    > closing down because of an error. Rebooted twice more and keep
    > getting it. Seems my efforts are down the gurgler.
    >
    > Anyone have any ideas what I can do about it


    Remove and reinstall office. Activate it /before/ applying any updates.
    Then apply the updates.
    EMB, Jan 23, 2010
    #5
  6. peterwn

    victor Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > On 23/01/2010 4:38 p.m., peterwn wrote:
    >> Had to load a friend's notebook from scratch. Installed (presumably
    >> reimaged) XP from rescue disc, then applied SP2& SP3. Also installed
    >> Office (OEM from discs originally supplied with computer). In other
    >> words everything is squeaky clean from the 'genuine' point of view.
    >> Applied all essential updates to present as pretty well required by
    >> Microsoft. Now I get a message that Office Genuine Advantage is
    >> closing down because of an error. Rebooted twice more and keep
    >> getting it. Seems my efforts are down the gurgler.
    >>
    >> Anyone have any ideas what I can do about it

    >
    > Remove and reinstall office. Activate it /before/ applying any updates.
    > Then apply the updates.
    >


    I recall that running an "office eraser" cleanup utility was required to
    remove the residue in the registry after the removal before doing a
    clean re-install.
    I don't know if that is still the case though.
    victor, Jan 23, 2010
    #6
  7. peterwn

    peterwn Guest

    On Jan 23, 9:45 pm, victor <> wrote:
    > EMB wrote:
    > > On 23/01/2010 4:38 p.m., peterwn wrote:
    > >> Had to load a friend's notebook from scratch. Installed (presumably
    > >> reimaged) XP from rescue disc, then applied SP2&  SP3.  Also installed
    > >> Office (OEM from discs originally supplied with computer).  In other
    > >> words everything is squeaky clean from the 'genuine' point of view.
    > >> Applied all essential updates to present as pretty well required by
    > >> Microsoft.  Now I get a message that Office Genuine Advantage is
    > >> closing down because of an error.  Rebooted twice more and keep
    > >> getting it.  Seems my efforts are down the gurgler.

    >
    > >> Anyone have any ideas what I can do about it

    >
    > > Remove and reinstall office.  Activate it /before/ applying any updates.
    > >  Then apply the updates.

    >
    > I recall that running an "office eraser" cleanup utility was required to
    > remove the residue in the registry after the removal before doing a
    > clean re-install.
    > I don't know if that is still the case though.


    Thanks EMB and Victor. I will try this and see what happens. If the
    worse comes to the worse I will have to start over.
    peterwn, Jan 23, 2010
    #7
  8. peterwn

    victor Guest

    peterwn wrote:
    > On Jan 23, 9:45 pm, victor <> wrote:
    >> EMB wrote:
    >>> On 23/01/2010 4:38 p.m., peterwn wrote:
    >>>> Had to load a friend's notebook from scratch. Installed (presumably
    >>>> reimaged) XP from rescue disc, then applied SP2& SP3. Also installed
    >>>> Office (OEM from discs originally supplied with computer). In other
    >>>> words everything is squeaky clean from the 'genuine' point of view.
    >>>> Applied all essential updates to present as pretty well required by
    >>>> Microsoft. Now I get a message that Office Genuine Advantage is
    >>>> closing down because of an error. Rebooted twice more and keep
    >>>> getting it. Seems my efforts are down the gurgler.
    >>>> Anyone have any ideas what I can do about it
    >>> Remove and reinstall office. Activate it /before/ applying any updates.
    >>> Then apply the updates.

    >> I recall that running an "office eraser" cleanup utility was required to
    >> remove the residue in the registry after the removal before doing a
    >> clean re-install.
    >> I don't know if that is still the case though.

    >
    > Thanks EMB and Victor. I will try this and see what happens. If the
    > worse comes to the worse I will have to start over.


    The office eraser tool is on Microsoft's site.
    victor, Jan 23, 2010
    #8
  9. peterwn

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 22:46:07 +1300, victor wrote:

    > The office eraser tool is on Microsoft's site.


    Why doesn't Micro$oft simply fix the uninstallation tool so that when MS Office is removed it does so
    cleanly?


    --
    "Filtering the Internet is like trying to boil the ocean"
    Sweetpea, Jan 23, 2010
    #9
  10. peterwn

    victor Guest

    Sweetpea wrote:
    > On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 22:46:07 +1300, victor wrote:
    >
    >> The office eraser tool is on Microsoft's site.

    >
    > Why doesn't Micro$oft simply fix the uninstallation tool so that when MS Office is removed it does so
    > cleanly?
    >
    >

    There are many reasons that I can think of.
    How about you have a little think yourself, instead of kneejerk posting
    every time you get irrationally enraged by someone mentioning Microsoft.
    Its tedious.
    victor, Jan 23, 2010
    #10
  11. peterwn

    Max Burke Guest

    On 23/01/2010 7:24 p.m., peterwn wrote:
    > On Jan 23, 5:42 pm, "impossible"<> wrote:
    >> "victor"<> wrote in message


    >> news:hjdudn$7fb$-september.org...


    >>>> "peterwn"<> wrote in message
    >>>> news:...
    >>>>> Had to load a friend's notebook from scratch. Installed (presumably
    >>>>> reimaged) XP from rescue disc, then applied SP2& SP3. Also installed
    >>>>> Office (OEM from discs originally supplied with computer). In other
    >>>>> words everything is squeaky clean from the 'genuine' point of view.
    >>>>> Applied all essential updates to present as pretty well required by
    >>>>> Microsoft. Now I get a message that Office Genuine Advantage is
    >>>>> closing down because of an error. Rebooted twice more and keep
    >>>>> getting it. Seems my efforts are down the gurgler.


    >>>>> Anyone have any ideas what I can do about it?


    Do the install again.

    Most problems with computers are caused by the user, not the software or
    hardware.

    BTW what was the error that caused MS Office to close?

    Reading the eror message(s) should (at the very least) give you some
    information about the cause of the (install) failure.

    --


    Found Images
    http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/~mlvburke
    Max Burke, Jan 23, 2010
    #11
  12. peterwn

    Enkidu Guest

    Sweetpea wrote:
    > On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 22:46:07 +1300, victor wrote:
    >
    >> The office eraser tool is on Microsoft's site.

    >
    > Why doesn't Micro$oft simply fix the uninstallation tool so that when
    > MS Office is removed it does so cleanly?
    >

    One reason is the millions of copies out there already. To fix the tool
    for the few that may want to remove Office by an update to Office would
    mean millions of unnecessary updates for those that never intend to
    remove Office.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    The Internet is interesting in that although the nicknames may change,
    the same old personalities show through.
    Enkidu, Jan 23, 2010
    #12
  13. In message <>, Sweetpea wrote:

    > On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 22:46:07 +1300, victor wrote:
    >
    >> The office eraser tool is on Microsoft's site.

    >
    > Why doesn't Micro$oft simply fix the uninstallation tool so that when MS
    > Office is removed it does so cleanly?


    Because MS Office is such an orgasmically wonderful piece of software, they
    can’t imagine anyone would ever want to uninstall it.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 23, 2010
    #13
  14. In message <hjfonb$ibc$-september.org>, victor wrote:

    > Sweetpea wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 22:46:07 +1300, victor wrote:
    >>
    >>> The office eraser tool is on Microsoft's site.

    >>
    >> Why doesn't Micro$oft simply fix the uninstallation tool so that when MS
    >> Office is removed it does so cleanly?
    >>
    >>

    > There are many reasons that I can think of.


    Name one.

    > How about you have a little think yourself, instead of kneejerk posting
    > every time you get irrationally enraged by someone mentioning Microsoft.


    I don’t see anything “enraged†about asking a simple question. Particularly
    one about a problem that shouldn’t have been allowed to arise in the first
    place.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 23, 2010
    #14
  15. peterwn

    victor Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <hjfonb$ibc$-september.org>, victor wrote:
    >
    >> Sweetpea wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 22:46:07 +1300, victor wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> The office eraser tool is on Microsoft's site.
    >>> Why doesn't Micro$oft simply fix the uninstallation tool so that when MS
    >>> Office is removed it does so cleanly?
    >>>
    >>>

    >> There are many reasons that I can think of.

    >
    > Name one.
    >

    To retain settings.
    Just the same as in Linux deb installations, settings that you might
    wish to retain in an upgrade will be retained unless you go out of your
    way to purge them.
    victor, Jan 23, 2010
    #15
  16. peterwn

    Enkidu Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <>, Sweetpea wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 22:46:07 +1300, victor wrote:
    >>
    >>> The office eraser tool is on Microsoft's site.

    >> Why doesn't Micro$oft simply fix the uninstallation tool so that when MS
    >> Office is removed it does so cleanly?

    >
    > Because MS Office is such an orgasmically wonderful piece of software, they
    > can’t imagine anyone would ever want to uninstall it.
    >

    There is a grain of truth in what you say. A home user probably won't
    worry about bits left lying around after an install and in a corporate
    environment that is properly locked down, the user won't be allowed to
    remove it.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    The Internet is interesting in that although the nicknames may change,
    the same old personalities show through.
    Enkidu, Jan 23, 2010
    #16
  17. peterwn

    peterwn Guest

    On Jan 23, 9:52 pm, peterwn <> wrote:

    >
    > > I recall that running an "office eraser" cleanup utility was required to
    > > remove the residue in the registry after the removal before doing a
    > > clean re-install.
    > > I don't know if that is still the case though.

    >
    > Thanks EMB and Victor. I will try this and see what happens. If the
    > worse comes to the worse I will have to start over.


    I have embarked on a re-install and have so far brought XP up to date
    with no apparent problem. Next stage wil be to install Office.

    I now think I know what the problem was. I executed SP3 from an
    external USB hard drive and noticed when reinstalling that SP3 writes
    its temporary files to the USB drive. It appears the drive needs to
    be left connected during the subsequent reboot to complete
    installation. Anyway I realise now I disconnected it prematurely
    which appears to have corrupted the SP3 installs which indirectly set
    the scene for Office Genuine Advantage to fail. This incidentally is
    executed after login but before any attempt to invoke Office - I
    remember now that Office gets itself partly running in anticipation of
    being explicitly or implicitly called by the user, otherwise users
    would perceive that Office takes unacceptably long to get going.

    I am confident the rest of the install will now go OK.
    peterwn, Jan 23, 2010
    #17
  18. In message <hjftat$glh$-september.org>, victor wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> In message <hjfonb$ibc$-september.org>, victor wrote:
    >>
    >>> Sweetpea wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 22:46:07 +1300, victor wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> The office eraser tool is on Microsoft's site.
    >>>>
    >>>> Why doesn't Micro$oft simply fix the uninstallation tool so that when
    >>>> MS Office is removed it does so cleanly?
    >>>>
    >>> There are many reasons that I can think of.

    >>
    >> Name one.
    >>

    > To retain settings.
    > Just the same as in Linux deb installations, settings that you might
    > wish to retain in an upgrade will be retained unless you go out of your
    > way to purge them.


    But Debian’s package management system, for example, provides a “purgeâ€
    option (remove leftover config files) as an integrated part of the system,
    you don’t need to download and run a separate “app eraser†tool to perform
    that function. The question is: why doesn’t Microsoft provide such a
    function integrated into its installation/uninstallation system?

    Particularly since such leftover data seems to cause installation hiccups
    with Microsoft’s software, as in this case. Which is something I’ve never
    seen happen under Linux.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 24, 2010
    #18
  19. In message <16782b2d-
    >, peterwn wrote:

    > I executed SP3 from an external USB hard drive and noticed when
    > reinstalling that SP3 writes its temporary files to the USB drive. It
    > appears the drive needs to be left connected during the subsequent reboot
    > to complete installation.


    Do you see what your problem was? Expecting Dimdows to behave rationally. I
    thought this was something all seasoned Dimdows users had hammered into them
    NOT to expect...

    > Anyway I realise now I disconnected it prematurely
    > which appears to have corrupted the SP3 installs which indirectly set
    > the scene for Office Genuine Advantage to fail. This incidentally is
    > executed after login but before any attempt to invoke Office - I
    > remember now that Office gets itself partly running in anticipation of
    > being explicitly or implicitly called by the user, otherwise users
    > would perceive that Office takes unacceptably long to get going.


    Do third-party packages get to insinuate themselves into Dimdows the same
    way, to mask their long startup times and lengthy “Genuine Advantageâ€
    checks? Or is this something only available to Microsoft?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 24, 2010
    #19
  20. peterwn

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 11:30:50 +1300, victor wrote:

    >> Name one.

    >
    > To retain settings.


    User settings should be in their profile, not in the Registry.

    Now name another two reasons from among your "many".


    --
    "Filtering the Internet is like trying to boil the ocean"
    Sweetpea, Jan 24, 2010
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Harrison

    Thwarting Microsoft's Genuine Advantage

    Harrison, Jul 30, 2005, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    440
    Harrison
    Jul 30, 2005
  2. twixs
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    6,191
    Jim Byrd
    Aug 25, 2005
  3. Bibledriller

    KB892130¡GWindows Genuine Advantage

    Bibledriller, Sep 7, 2005, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    959
    Bibledriller
    Sep 7, 2005
  4. Nowhere

    Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool

    Nowhere, Mar 2, 2006, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    391
    Flunkett Clogwheel
    Mar 4, 2006
  5. Tommy
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    1,765
    Mr. Arnold
    Nov 29, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page