  1. The gap between Microsoft Office and OpenOffice is widening.

    In resource usage, that is
    <http://www.oooninja.com/2008/05/openofficeorg-microsoft-office-moores.html>.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 25, 2008

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 00:00:59 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote:

    >The gap between Microsoft Office and OpenOffice is widening.
    >
    >In resource usage, that is
    ><http://www.oooninja.com/2008/05/openofficeorg-microsoft-office-moores.html>.

    To be fair, MS Office has improved a lot maybe the size is worth it.
    I use MS Office at work and Open Office at home. I prefer the latest
    version of MS Office and if OO wasn't free i'd be buying MS Office for
    home, not OO.
    Craig Shore, Jul 25, 2008

  3. In article <>, Craig Shore did
    write:

    > On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 00:00:59 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    > <_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >>The gap between Microsoft Office and OpenOffice is widening.
    >>
    >>In resource usage, that is
    >><http://www.oooninja.com/2008/05/openofficeorg-microsoft-office-moores.html>.

    > To be fair, MS Office has improved a lot maybe the size is worth it.

    If you look at the chart, you'll see that MS Office is about four times the
    size of OpenOffice. Does it really have four times the functionality? No it
    doesn't.

    > ... if OO wasn't free i'd be buying MS Office for home, not OO.

    Price-performance wins. :)
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 26, 2008
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    impossible Guest

    "Craig Shore" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 00:00:59 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    > <_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >>The gap between Microsoft Office and OpenOffice is widening.
    >>
    >>In resource usage, that is
    >><http://www.oooninja.com/2008/05/openofficeorg-microsoft-office-moores.html>.

    The report is not about "resource usage" in general but about the size of
    the disk footprint. And it's totally misleading. My installation of Office
    2007 Enterpise consumes all of 600Mb for Access, Excel, Word, Publisher, and
    Outlook. In any case, hard drive space ceased to be scarce at least a decade
    ago. 600MB on the typical 250GB desktop disk today is a proportionately
    **smaller** footprint than a 400MB installation on the 80GB drives that
    predominated in 2003.

    > To be fair, MS Office has improved a lot maybe the size is worth it.
    > I use MS Office at work and Open Office at home. I prefer the latest
    > version of MS Office and if OO wasn't free i'd be buying MS Office for
    > home, not OO.

    Among other things, file sizes for Office 2007 documents are **much
    smaller** than they were for comparable Office 2003 documents.
    impossible, Jul 26, 2008
  5. "impossible" <> wrote in message

    > "Craig Shore" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 00:00:59 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    >> <_zealand> wrote:
    >>
    >>>The gap between Microsoft Office and OpenOffice is widening.
    >>>
    >>>In resource usage, that is
    >>><http://www.oooninja.com/2008/05/openofficeorg-microsoft-office-moores.html>.

    > The report is not about "resource usage" in general but about the size of
    > the disk footprint. And it's totally misleading. My installation of Office
    > 2007 Enterpise consumes all of 600Mb for Access, Excel, Word, Publisher,
    > and Outlook. In any case, hard drive space ceased to be scarce at least a
    > decade ago. 600MB on the typical 250GB desktop disk today is a
    > proportionately **smaller** footprint than a 400MB installation on the
    > 80GB drives that predominated in 2003.

    Only this year did the standard shipping hard disk size go from 80Gb to
    160Gb. 250Gb is not the current standard off the shelf disk size of a new
    pc, 160Gb is.
    Given that 160Gb became the standard only about 3 months ago, then (at a
    guess) 75% of Office 2007 installs would be on 80Gb or less disks, not
    250Gb.

    J&H.

    Jekyll and Hyde, Jul 26, 2008
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    impossible Guest

    "Jekyll and Hyde" <jekyll&> wrote in message
    > "impossible" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Craig Shore" <> wrote in message

    >> The report is not about "resource usage" in general but about the size
    >> of the disk footprint. And it's totally misleading. My installation of
    >> Office 2007 Enterpise consumes all of 600Mb for Access, Excel, Word,
    >> Publisher, and Outlook. In any case, hard drive space ceased to be scarce
    >> at least a decade ago. 600MB on the typical 250GB desktop disk today is a
    >> proportionately **smaller** footprint than a 400MB installation on the
    >> 80GB drives that predominated in 2003.

    > Only this year did the standard shipping hard disk size go from 80Gb to
    > 160Gb.

    Only if you're talking about notebooks. Dell, the largest dealer in the
    world, stopped packaging 80GB drives with its desktops at least 5 years ago.

    > 250Gb is not the current standard off the shelf disk size of a new pc,
    > 160Gb is.

    The standard is set by the largest dealers in the largest markets. See Dell,
    for instance.

    http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/inspndt_530s?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs.

    > Given that 160Gb became the standard only about 3 months ago, then (at a
    > guess) 75% of Office 2007 installs would be on 80Gb or less disks, not
    > 250Gb.

    You're wrong. What can I say?

    impossible, Jul 26, 2008
  7. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    impossible Guest

    > In article <>, Craig Shore did
    > write:
    >
    >> On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 00:00:59 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    >> <_zealand> wrote:
    >>
    >>>The gap between Microsoft Office and OpenOffice is widening.
    >>>
    >>>In resource usage, that is
    >>><http://www.oooninja.com/2008/05/openofficeorg-microsoft-office-moores.html>.

    >> To be fair, MS Office has improved a lot maybe the size is worth it.

    > If you look at the chart, you'll see that MS Office is about four times
    > the
    > size of OpenOffice. Does it really have four times the functionality? No
    > it
    > doesn't.
    >
    >> ... if OO wasn't free i'd be buying MS Office for home, not OO.

    > Price-performance wins. :)

    "Costs next to nothing and takes up very little space" might be a flattering
    recommendation for a pet gerbil, but not for a piece of software. Most
    people want to know what software can **do** and on that score OO is
    hopelessly behind.
    impossible, Jul 26, 2008
  8. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    impossible Guest

    "Allistar" <> wrote in message
    > impossible wrote:

    >>> In article <>, Craig Shore did
    >>> write:

    >>> If you look at the chart, you'll see that MS Office is about four times
    >>> the
    >>> size of OpenOffice. Does it really have four times the functionality? No
    >>> it
    >>> doesn't.

    >>> Price-performance wins. :)
    >>>

    >> "Costs next to nothing and takes up very little space" might be a
    >> flattering recommendation for a pet gerbil, but not for a piece of
    >> software. Most people want to know what software can **do** and on that
    >> score OO is hopelessly behind.

    > I suppose that depends on what you need. I find Oo_O to be perfectly
    > adequate for my needs, and professional documentation is part of my job.
    > --

    And the rave reviews just keep on coming!
    impossible, Jul 29, 2008