Office Annoyances..

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by frank, Apr 14, 2006.

  1. frank

    frank Guest

    I've been using office for years but there are a couple of things that have
    been annoying me lately..

    Anyone know any solutions to these?

    Excel:
    Say you want to print 20 copies of sheet. Instead of telling the printer to
    print 20 copies, excel submits the sheet 20 times to the printer. So if its
    an extremely large sheet the printer takes forever to get each copy out...

    Word:
    I do a Mail Merge from an excel sheet for sticky labels. 15 labels per
    sheet, 250 pages.

    If the printer jams and screws up a page. I go back and tell word to print
    page 110-110. It starts to print the entire 250 pages again. It doesn't
    matter how, which, what page to print. It won't let me print a single page.
    THis happens with all mail merges.

    any ideas?

    Office 2003

    frank, Apr 14, 2006

  2. On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 16:45:44 +1200, frank wrote:

    > Anyone know any solutions to these?
    >
    > Excel:
    > Say you want to print 20 copies of sheet. Instead of telling the printer to
    > print 20 copies, excel submits the sheet 20 times to the printer. So if its
    > an extremely large sheet the printer takes forever to get each copy out...
    >
    > Word:
    > I do a Mail Merge from an excel sheet for sticky labels. 15 labels per
    > sheet, 250 pages.
    >
    > If the printer jams and screws up a page. I go back and tell word to print
    > page 110-110. It starts to print the entire 250 pages again. It doesn't
    > matter how, which, what page to print. It won't let me print a single page.
    > THis happens with all mail merges.
    >
    > any ideas?

    Have you tried using some other suite (such as Open Office) for doing
    those tasks?

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Apr 14, 2006

  3. frank

    frank Guest

    > Have you tried using some other suite (such as Open Office) for doing
    > those tasks?

    Work PC so don't have much choice. Open office couldnt handle some of the
    advanced excel sheets we use... but thats for a totally different thread...

    frank, Apr 14, 2006
  4. On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 17:11:19 +1200, frank wrote:

    > Open office couldnt handle some of the
    > advanced excel sheets we use.

    In what way?

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Apr 14, 2006
  5. frank

    brazen Guest

    "frank" <> wrote in message

    > Word:
    > I do a Mail Merge from an excel sheet for sticky labels. 15 labels per
    > sheet, 250 pages.
    >
    > If the printer jams and screws up a page. I go back and tell word to
    > print page 110-110. It starts to print the entire 250 pages again. It
    > doesn't matter how, which, what page to print. It won't let me print a
    > single page. THis happens with all mail merges.

    mmm just having that problem myself. Its all about it inserting section
    breaks instead of page breaks

    from Help:

    When you merge form letters or similar types of merged documents to a new
    document, Microsoft Word places each letter in a separate section of the new
    document.

    To print only specific letters from the new document, click Print on the
    File menu. In the Pages box, type the numbers of the sections that contain
    the letters you want to print. For example, to print the third, sixth,
    seventh, and eighth form letters, type s3,s6-s8 in the Pages box. To
    identify the section number, click a letter and then note the section number
    displayed in the status bar — for example, "Sec 3."

    Let me know if it works.

    Gay

    brazen, Apr 14, 2006
  6. frank

    brazen Guest

    "brazen" <> wrote in message

    > "frank" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Word:
    >> I do a Mail Merge from an excel sheet for sticky labels. 15 labels per
    >> sheet, 250 pages.
    >>
    >> If the printer jams and screws up a page. I go back and tell word to
    >> print page 110-110. It starts to print the entire 250 pages again. It
    >> doesn't matter how, which, what page to print. It won't let me print a
    >> single page. THis happens with all mail merges.
    >>

    > mmm just having that problem myself. Its all about it inserting section
    > breaks instead of page breaks
    >
    > from Help:
    >
    > When you merge form letters or similar types of merged documents to a new
    > document, Microsoft Word places each letter in a separate section of the
    > new document.
    >
    > To print only specific letters from the new document, click Print on the
    > File menu. In the Pages box, type the numbers of the sections that contain
    > the letters you want to print. For example, to print the third, sixth,
    > seventh, and eighth form letters, type s3,s6-s8 in the Pages box. To
    > identify the section number, click a letter and then note the section
    > number displayed in the status bar — for example, "Sec 3."
    >

    > Let me know if it works.

    yes it does work - just had to do a part print and it worked.

    Gay

    brazen, Apr 14, 2006
  7. In article <>, says...

    > Have you tried using some other suite (such as Open Office) for doing
    > those tasks?

    I tried OO last year some time. It didn't even give me the option of printing
    the same page multiple times in print setup. Yeah, right, thanks but no thanks.
    Besides of which it didn't manage to load a number of doc files I have floating
    around on my machine. I think I shall stay with Word Perfect for the time
    being, you know.

    -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Apr 14, 2006
  8. On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 18:32:37 +1200, Peter Huebner wrote:

    > I tried OO last year some time. It didn't even give me the option of
    > printing the same page multiple times in print setup. Yeah, right,
    > thanks but no thanks. Besides of which it didn't manage to load a number
    > of doc files I have floating around on my machine. I think I shall stay
    > with Word Perfect for the time being, you know.

    So that must have been version 1.x of Open Office.

    Version 2 has been released - a major improvement.

    Does Word Perfect provide support for the Open Document standard?

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Apr 14, 2006
  9. frank

    frank Guest

    Huge 45mb workbooks using pages and pages of Macros and advanced
    functions...

    Last time I used Open office it couldn't even do the most basic of things...

    Like Peter said you can even Print muliple times in Version 1, it must be a
    long way behind....

    frank, Apr 15, 2006
  10. frank

    shannon Guest

    frank wrote:
    > Huge 45mb workbooks using pages and pages of Macros and advanced
    > functions...
    >
    > Last time I used Open office it couldn't even do the most basic of things...
    >
    > Like Peter said you can even Print muliple times in Version 1, it must be a
    > long way behind....

    Last time you used it ?
    Haww Haww, good one frank !!

    Its behind the current version 2.0 you mean ?
    The one with the print dialogue with the number of copies ?

    shannon, Apr 15, 2006
  11. On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 11:44:24 +1200, frank wrote:

    > Huge 45mb workbooks using pages and pages of Macros and advanced
    > functions...
    >
    > Last time I used Open office it couldn't even do the most basic of things...
    >
    > Like Peter said you can even Print muliple times in Version 1, it must be a
    > long way behind....
    >
    >>> Open office couldnt handle some of the
    >>> advanced excel sheets we use.

    >> In what way?

    I see. Why are you using M$ Excel in such a dodgy way? Shouldn't you be
    using proper accounting software like, maybe, CMS?

    And for sure I can do quite advanced things in OOo, not just typing a
    simple letter. If you cannot do such a basic thing in OOo as typing a
    letter, then perhaps you're not using it correctly.

    And I think you'll find that Novell has recently released for OOo the
    means to run all but the most contorted and obscure of M$Excell's macro
    scripts.

    I don't follow your last comment Why is it bad to be able to print
    multiple copies using OOo?

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    --
    A: because it messes up threading
    Q: why should I not reply by top-posting?

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Apr 15, 2006
  12. On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 15:11:49 +1200, Have A Nice Cup of Tea <>
    wrote:

    >means to run all but the most contorted and obscure of M$Excell's macro
    >scripts.

    There is nothing contorted or obscure about vb scripting, nothing
    comes near it in what you can do...

    Dont you love the way these guys run down excel and word as having too
    many functions, only to promote that OO is gaining functions?
    Just because you OO chaps are happy with the basic features of OO
    doesnt mean we have to use it. We dont run down OO, your welcome to
    use it, so why do you guys always go out of your way to run down MS
    Excel & Word?
    Images of home (NZ)
    http://www.titahi-bay.co.nz/home
    What we are up to in the UK
    http://www.titahi-bay.co.nz

    John in Surrey, Apr 15, 2006
  13. frank

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:
    > In article <>, says...
    >>
    >> Have you tried using some other suite (such as Open Office) for doing
    >> those tasks?
    >>

    > I tried OO last year some time. It didn't even give me the option of
    > printing the same page multiple times in print setup. Yeah, right,
    > thanks but no thanks. Besides of which it didn't manage to load a
    > number of doc files I have floating around on my machine. I think I
    > shall stay with Word Perfect for the time being, you know.

    Heh! I still have my install CD (and serial) of PerfectOffice v3.0 that
    Novell's North Sydney office sent me when my 17 (or so) floppies became
    unusable. It was back in the mid-'90s and PerfectOffice cost me only around
    $400 compared to MS Office which was something like twice the price.

    Never did use it much though.

    I have Word 2000 and OO2 installed. I use OO2 for new documents but a lot of
    my older stuff created in Word is passworded and OO didn't like that last
    time I tried to open them. Hence I still keep Word around.
    --
    ~Shaun~

    ~misfit~, Apr 15, 2006
  14. On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 07:49:57 +0100, John in Surrey wrote:

    > Dont you love the way these guys run down excel and word as having too
    > many functions, only to promote that OO is gaining functions?

    I did not say anything about M$Excel or M$Word.

    I wasn't the one bitching about M$ Office not doing stuff correctly.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    --
    "Only one thing is impossible for a Vorlon to understand:
    How to change the IRQ setting in any DOS computer."

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Apr 15, 2006
  15. In article <>, newsgrounps@titahi-
    bay.co.nz says...
    > There is nothing contorted or obscure about vb scripting, nothing
    > comes near it in what you can do...
    >
    > Dont you love the way these guys run down excel and word as having too
    > many functions, only to promote that OO is gaining functions?
    > Just because you OO chaps are happy with the basic features of OO
    > doesnt mean we have to use it. We dont run down OO, your welcome to
    > use it, so why do you guys always go out of your way to run down MS
    > Excel & Word?

    Let me put it this way John: I tried Word for Windows 2, pretty early on in the
    piece. It ate a couple of documents, and that was more than I was prepared to
    put up with, and I mean it munged the text on screen as well as destroying the
    file AND backup. How the hell that happened is beyond me, and believe me at
    that point in time I didn't care. I switched to ProWrite i.i.r.c.

    A year or two later an intern at my place spent 3 weeks putting my library on
    an Access database. Well, so I have a few thousand books. Guess what happened:
    yupp, Access ate the database, munged the file ... and that was IT.

    Since then I have been using Word Perfect, and I write my own database apps,
    using Delphi and paradox format, and I have never, ever, had another incident
    like those mentioned.

    I realize that MS Office has come a long way since those days in the early
    90ies, but frankly I don't give a stuff. Considering the $$$ I have earned over
    the last few years fixing Word Macro Virus damage on ohter people's systems and
    having seen a few VB script attempts rolling in, I have no desire to expose my
    system/LAN to either (even though I am pretty confident that I could prevent
    either from taking hold here - I don't need to have to think about it).

    YMMV, obviously. You're welcome to it!

    -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Apr 15, 2006
  16. frank

    Petrushka Guest

    On 14/04/06 16:45, frank wrote:
    > I've been using office for years but there are a couple of things that have
    > been annoying me lately..
    >
    > Anyone know any solutions to these?
    >
    > Excel:
    > Say you want to print 20 copies of sheet. Instead of telling the printer to
    > print 20 copies, excel submits the sheet 20 times to the printer. So if its
    > an extremely large sheet the printer takes forever to get each copy out...
    >
    > Word:
    > I do a Mail Merge from an excel sheet for sticky labels. 15 labels per
    > sheet, 250 pages.
    >
    > If the printer jams and screws up a page. I go back and tell word to print
    > page 110-110. It starts to print the entire 250 pages again. It doesn't
    > matter how, which, what page to print. It won't let me print a single page.
    > THis happens with all mail merges.
    >
    > any ideas?
    >
    > Office 2003

    "Print" to PDF (using PDFCreator or similar) and then print from Acrobat.

    Cheers,

    Petrushka, Apr 20, 2006
  17. frank

    frank Guest

    Thanks this solution does work. If you look at the status bar and move to
    page 100, the status bar is showing page 1 and section 100.

    frank, Apr 20, 2006
  18. frank

    frank Guest

    I have tried this.

    You wouldnt believe how long it takes to pdf 256 pages with each label
    having a permit post image on it...

    frank, Apr 20, 2006
  19. frank

    Alan Guest

    "frank" <> wrote in message
    > I've been using office for years but there are a couple of things
    > that have been annoying me lately..
    >
    > Anyone know any solutions to these?
    >
    > Excel:
    > Say you want to print 20 copies of sheet. Instead of telling the
    > printer to print 20 copies, excel submits the sheet 20 times to the
    > printer. So if its an extremely large sheet the printer takes
    > forever to get each copy out...
    >
    > Word:
    > I do a Mail Merge from an excel sheet for sticky labels. 15 labels
    > per sheet, 250 pages.
    >
    > If the printer jams and screws up a page. I go back and tell word
    > to print page 110-110. It starts to print the entire 250 pages
    > again. It doesn't matter how, which, what page to print. It won't
    > let me print a single page. THis happens with all mail merges.
    >
    > any ideas?
    >
    > Office 2003

    Hi Frank,

    0) Save a backup copy of your file!

    1) Go to the start of the first page you want to re-print

    2) Go up once using the up arrow (to get to the bottom of the previous
    page - to be sure you don't miss something)

    3) Press Shift-Ctrl-Home (to select everything from that point to the
    start of the document)

    5) Go to the bottom of the last page you want to re-print

    6) Go down once using down arrow

    7) Press Shift-Ctrl-End to select everything else you dont want

    9) Print the whole remaining document

    10) Close without saving!

    HTH,

    Alan.

    else associated with me.

    My current valid email address is:

    email address.

    ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

    Alan, Apr 20, 2006
  20. frank

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "frank" <> wrote in news:GzI1g.15441$:

    > I have tried this.
    >
    > You wouldnt believe how long it takes to pdf 256 pages with each label
    > having a permit post image on it...

    Ok, for this specific part of non-variable data.
    1. create an "overlay" in your PS Print driver with the "static" data.
    2. Print the the changed data only, overlaying the newly created overlay of
    boilerplate. Think a watermark of a form. That is the concept.

    Mail merge in word sucks. That is why there are variable data packages for
    this market segment.

    Most PS drivers have some kind of overlay feature. It might be called
    something else, like template, or Master.

    If you do this stuff often, you might justify spending some money on a more
    advanced solution.

    Another consideration is PDF usually is PS code when printed, it wants a PS
    driver. Using a PCL driver to print a PDF is slower than using a PS driver
    almost all the time because of double conversion.

    GDI, well, that kind of driver relies on your Windows PC to do all the
    work, so it could be slow or fast...
    Cheap, really cheap printers are GDI only. If it supports a Macintosh, it
    is not GDI.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Apr 21, 2006