Office 2010 Beta = MAXIMUM DAMAGE!

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by XS11E, Jan 8, 2010.

  1. XS11E

    XS11E Guest

    NOTE: I may be wrong but I do NOT beleive this is the wrong group,
    Office caused the damage but it's a Vista 64 problem now, Windows Vista
    Ultimate 64 with Office 2007 installed...

    I downloaded the beta version of Office 2010 and it installed OK. I
    ran Outlook and Word, both worked.

    The next time I started the PC, Outlook refused to open as did Word,
    etc. so I used the Add/Remove to remove Office 2010 Beta and got errors
    (too long ago to recall what they were) but it seemed to uninstall, re-
    installed Office 2007 but that failed, tried a system restore to prior
    to installing the Beta-From-Hell but, while it worked, there were
    problems which several reboots couldn't fix.

    To get to the final results, after manual removal and multiple system
    restores, etc. now when I boot into Vista I get a flashing screen with
    a message "Windows Explorer has stopped working" and it repeats
    continually. If I boot into safe mode, the same thing happens.

    I had created the "true administrator" account and it boots and runs
    with no problems.

    Malware Bytes shows clean on ALL partitions and disks, MS Security
    Essentials says it's clean, etc.

    Any ideas? Anyone know how to contact the Office Beta folks? Since I
    can't run it, that information seems unavailable now. <sigh>

    PS. Dual booting into XP and all is well, I'm sending this from there.
    XP has Office 2007 also but I didn't try to install the Beta-From-Hell
    in XP.

    I have an Acronis image that isn't as current as I'd like, any way I
    can save the current Vista install before I wipe it and start over
    would be most helpful?

    The Usenet Improvement Project:

    XS11E, Jan 8, 2010

  2. XS11E

    XS11E Guest

    XS11E <> wrote:

    > I have an Acronis image that isn't as current as I'd like, any way
    > I can save the current Vista install before I wipe it and start
    > over would be most helpful?

    I've created a new user and am setting Vista up to work that way. It's
    going to be a very long, slow process but I've got email and newsgroups
    working so far.... When it's all done I can delete the previous user
    but..... I'd sure appreciate any ideas on how to recover the old
    profile.

    The Usenet Improvement Project:

    XS11E, Jan 9, 2010

  3. XS11E

    Tom Guest

    "XS11E" <> wrote in message
    > XS11E <> wrote:
    >
    >> I have an Acronis image that isn't as current as I'd like, any way
    >> I can save the current Vista install before I wipe it and start
    >> over would be most helpful?

    > I've created a new user and am setting Vista up to work that way. It's
    > going to be a very long, slow process but I've got email and newsgroups
    > working so far.... When it's all done I can delete the previous user
    > but..... I'd sure appreciate any ideas on how to recover the old
    > profile.

    Try using "System restore" to the date where you installed the beta version,
    or before.

    Tom, Jan 9, 2010
  4. XS11E

    Scott Guest

    On Fri, 08 Jan 2010 12:39:58 -0700, XS11E <>
    wrote:

    >NOTE: I may be wrong but I do NOT beleive this is the wrong group,
    >Office caused the damage but it's a Vista 64 problem now, Windows Vista
    >Ultimate 64 with Office 2007 installed...
    >
    >I downloaded the beta version of Office 2010 and it installed OK. I
    >ran Outlook and Word, both worked.
    >
    >The next time I started the PC, Outlook refused to open as did Word,
    >etc. so I used the Add/Remove to remove Office 2010 Beta and got errors
    >(too long ago to recall what they were) but it seemed to uninstall, re-
    >installed Office 2007 but that failed, tried a system restore to prior
    >to installing the Beta-From-Hell but, while it worked, there were
    >problems which several reboots couldn't fix.
    >
    >To get to the final results, after manual removal and multiple system
    >restores, etc. now when I boot into Vista I get a flashing screen with
    >a message "Windows Explorer has stopped working" and it repeats
    >continually. If I boot into safe mode, the same thing happens.
    >
    >I had created the "true administrator" account and it boots and runs
    >with no problems.
    >
    >Malware Bytes shows clean on ALL partitions and disks, MS Security
    >Essentials says it's clean, etc.
    >
    >Any ideas? Anyone know how to contact the Office Beta folks? Since I
    >can't run it, that information seems unavailable now. <sigh>
    >
    >PS. Dual booting into XP and all is well, I'm sending this from there.
    >XP has Office 2007 also but I didn't try to install the Beta-From-Hell
    >in XP.
    >
    >I have an Acronis image that isn't as current as I'd like, any way I
    >can save the current Vista install before I wipe it and start over
    >would be most helpful?

    I tried it and it caused major problems with Outlook. It seemed to
    set up a new data file (.pst) and I had great difficulty in trying to
    get it to import the existing e-mails, contacts etc. The old data
    file was no longer accessible as this was a new computer.

    So eventually I uninstalled, fortunately without the difficulties you
    encountered. My initial impression was that Word had been made far
    too cluttered so I am not sure if I will be 'upgrading' to Office 2010
    when it arrives.

    Scott, Jan 9, 2010
  5. XS11E -- Sorry to hear about your Office beta issues, and I hope the
    recovery goes well. Once you actually get ready to try this again, let me
    STRONGLY suggest that Office betas are now, and have always been, the best
    justification for virtualization possible. Office betas are NOTORIOUSLY
    flakey. Often interesting, and sometimes even useful, but not for the faint
    of heart and not to run on any machine one cares about. Create a VM and run
    it there. Use saved states and snapshots to give yourself a fallback
    position. And now you can actually enjoy the beta.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 9, 2010
  6. XS11E

    XS11E Guest

    "Tom" <> wrote:

    > "XS11E" <> wrote in message
    >> XS11E <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have an Acronis image that isn't as current as I'd like, any
    >>> way I can save the current Vista install before I wipe it and
    >>> start over would be most helpful?

    >> I've created a new user and am setting Vista up to work that way.
    >> It's going to be a very long, slow process but I've got email
    >> and newsgroups working so far.... When it's all done I can
    >> delete the previous user but..... I'd sure appreciate any ideas
    >> on how to recover the old profile.
    >>

    > Try using "System restore" to the date where you installed the
    > beta version, or before.

    As mentioned in the original post, I've tried multiple restores.

    The Usenet Improvement Project:

    XS11E, Jan 9, 2010
  7. XS11E

    XS11E Guest

    "Charlie Russel - MVP" <> wrote:

    > XS11E -- Sorry to hear about your Office beta issues, and I hope
    > the recovery goes well. Once you actually get ready to try this
    > again, let me STRONGLY suggest that Office betas are now, and have
    > always been, the best justification for virtualization possible.
    > Office betas are NOTORIOUSLY flakey. Often interesting, and
    > sometimes even useful, but not for the faint of heart and not to
    > run on any machine one cares about. Create a VM and run it there.
    > Use saved states and snapshots to give yourself a fallback
    > position. And now you can actually enjoy the beta.

    Thanks, that's V*E*R*Y G*O*O*D A*D*V*I*C*E. I was lulled into a false
    sense of security from having run Office 2007 Betas from the earliest
    w/o any problems at all.

    AAMOF, this is the very first beta program I've had ANY problems with
    other than the very earliest Windows 95 beta and some very minor
    annoyances in an AVG beta program.

    What I should have done (ain't hindsight WONDERFUL!) was to have
    created an Acroins image just prior to installing. I usually do that
    but had neglected to update my images for several weeks.

    From the little I've seen of Office 2010 I think I'll probably wind up
    eventually uninstalling Office 2007 and going back to Office 2003 which
    at least enables Outlook Quote Fix to run on Outlook, I'll certainly
    not be running Office 2010 again!

    The Usenet Improvement Project:

    XS11E, Jan 9, 2010
  8. XS11E

    John Barnes Guest

    Sorry to hear of your problems. I have been running Office Professional
    2010 Preview since July 15, 2009 with no problems. While I don't use a lot
    of it, I have had no problems with either the 32 bit version on Vista 32 or
    with the 64 bit version on Vista 64 and Win7 64 (not installed on final
    version). I have not tried the betas.

    John Barnes, Jan 10, 2010
  9. XS11E

    XS11E Guest

    "John Barnes" <> wrote:

    > Sorry to hear of your problems. I have been running Office
    > Professional 2010 Preview since July 15, 2009 with no problems.
    > While I don't use a lot of it, I have had no problems with either
    > the 32 bit version on Vista 32 or with the 64 bit version on Vista
    > 64 and Win7 64 (not installed on final version). I have not
    > tried the betas.

    The preview IS a beta.

    The Usenet Improvement Project:

    XS11E, Jan 10, 2010
  10. I haven't spent any time with Office 2010 yet, though I'm about to fire it
    up on a VM. But I mostly use Office 2007 apps EXCEPT for Word. I won't
    upgrade to Word 2007 from Word 2003, so I doubt I'll be any more inclined to
    run Word 2010.

    I've been involved with so many betas over the years that I've gotten quite
    careful about how I do things. With the exception of running Windows betas
    on my main workstation ("self-hosting", in MS parlance), I always run betas
    in a safe environment unless I'm involved in a TAP or its equivalent that
    will directly support me during the beta. In the old days, we used
    dual/multi-boot environments, but virtualization has been the salvation of
    beta testers. Less so of beta teams, since it means that people are running
    on essentially identical hardware.

    It's fun to test the newest stuff and often a learning experience as well,
    but it does have risks. And Office is one that has bitten me more than once,
    so I treat it with special caution.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 10, 2010
  11. XS11E

    Vjekoslav Guest

    ma jedi bre govna majmune sta lupas tu gluposti

    Vjekoslav, Jan 12, 2010
  12. XS11E

    Bryan Custer Guest

    RE: microsoft max damage

    Well it sounds as if your experance is less then perfect with this beta. This is cwhat i would actualy recomend doing boot into the account yu have the issue with. Reinstall office 2010 beta. Do a reboot and then go to run and type msconfig and go into services and turn everything to do with that program and then go to startup and same thing matter of fact just only leave turned on in start up bare min. and hit apply and it will tell yu that yu need admin. privigles just ignore it and hit ok and restart and then after that go to add remove progam and remove it and it should solve that problem and reboot again and then take and start turning back on progams in start up yu would like back on and leave off the ones yu dont have a good day

    XS11E wrote:

    Office 2010 Beta = MAXIMUM DAMAGE!
    08-Jan-10

    NOTE: I may be wrong but I do NOT beleive this is the wrong group
    Office caused the damage but it is a Vista 64 problem now, Windows Vist
    Ultimate 64 with Office 2007 installed..

    I downloaded the beta version of Office 2010 and it installed OK.
    ran Outlook and Word, both worked

    The next time I started the PC, Outlook refused to open as did Word
    etc. so I used the Add/Remove to remove Office 2010 Beta and got error
    (too long ago to recall what they were) but it seemed to uninstall, re
    installed Office 2007 but that failed, tried a system restore to prio
    to installing the Beta-From-Hell but, while it worked, there wer
    problems which several reboots could not fix

    To get to the final results, after manual removal and multiple syste
    restores, etc. now when I boot into Vista I get a flashing screen wit
    a message "Windows Explorer has stopped working" and it repeat
    continually. If I boot into safe mode, the same thing happens

    I had created the "true administrator" account and it boots and run
    with no problems

    Malware Bytes shows clean on ALL partitions and disks, MS Securit
    Essentials says it is clean, etc

    Any ideas? Anyone know how to contact the Office Beta folks? Since
    cannot run it, that information seems unavailable now. <sigh

    PS. Dual booting into XP and all is well, I am sending this from there
    XP has Office 2007 also but I did not try to install the Beta-From-Hel
    in XP

    I have an Acronis image that is not as current as I'd like, any way
    can save the current Vista install before I wipe it and start ove
    would be most helpful

    -
    XS11E, Killing all posts from Google Group
    The Usenet Improvement Project

    On Friday, January 08, 2010 2:39 PM
    XS11E wrote:

[...]

    On Friday, January 08, 2010 7:27 PM
    XS11E wrote:

    I have created a new user and am setting Vista up to work that way.
    I have created a new user and am setting Vista up to work that way. it is
    going to be a very long, slow process but I have got email and newsgroups
    working so far.... When it is all done I can delete the previous user
    but..... I'd sure appreciate any ideas on how to recover the old
    profile.

    The Usenet Improvement Project:

    On Saturday, January 09, 2010 3:35 AM
    Tom wrote:

    Try using "System restore" to the date where you installed the beta version,or
    Try using "System restore" to the date where you installed the beta version,
    or before.

    On Saturday, January 09, 2010 4:10 AM
    Scott wrote:

    wrote:I tried it and it caused major problems with Outlook.
    wrote:

    I tried it and it caused major problems with Outlook. It seemed to
    set up a new data file (.pst) and I had great difficulty in trying to
    get it to import the existing e-mails, contacts etc. The old data
    file was no longer accessible as this was a new computer.

    So eventually I uninstalled, fortunately without the difficulties you
    encountered. My initial impression was that Word had been made far
    too cluttered so I am not sure if I will be 'upgrading' to Office 2010
    when it arrives.

    On Saturday, January 09, 2010 10:05 AM
    Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:

    XS11E -- Sorry to hear about your Office beta issues, and I hope therecovery
    XS11E -- Sorry to hear about your Office beta issues, and I hope the
    recovery goes well. Once you actually get ready to try this again, let me
    STRONGLY suggest that Office betas are now, and have always been, the best
    justification for virtualization possible. Office betas are NOTORIOUSLY
    flakey. Often interesting, and sometimes even useful, but not for the faint
    of heart and not to run on any machine one cares about. Create a VM and run
    it there. Use saved states and snapshots to give yourself a fallback
    position. And now you can actually enjoy the beta.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

    On Saturday, January 09, 2010 11:08 AM
    XS11E wrote:

    As mentioned in the original post, I have tried multiple restores.
    As mentioned in the original post, I have tried multiple restores.

    The Usenet Improvement Project:

    On Saturday, January 09, 2010 11:18 AM
    XS11E wrote:

    Thanks, that is V*E*R*Y G*O*O*D A*D*V*I*C*E.
    Thanks, that is V*E*R*Y G*O*O*D A*D*V*I*C*E. I was lulled into a false
    sense of security from having run Office 2007 Betas from the earliest
    w/o any problems at all.

    AAMOF, this is the very first beta program I have had ANY problems with
    other than the very earliest Windows 95 beta and some very minor
    annoyances in an AVG beta program.

    What I should have done (ain't hindsight WONDERFUL!) was to have
    created an Acroins image just prior to installing. I usually do that
    but had neglected to update my images for several weeks.

    From the little I have seen of Office 2010 I think I will probably wind up
    eventually uninstalling Office 2007 and going back to Office 2003 which
    at least enables Outlook Quote Fix to run on Outlook, I will certainly
    not be running Office 2010 again!

    The Usenet Improvement Project:

    On Sunday, January 10, 2010 9:59 AM
    John Barnes wrote:

    Sorry to hear of your problems.
    Sorry to hear of your problems. I have been running Office Professional
    2010 Preview since July 15, 2009 with no problems. While I do not use a lot
    of it, I have had no problems with either the 32 bit version on Vista 32 or
    with the 64 bit version on Vista 64 and Win7 64 (not installed on final
    version). I have not tried the betas.

    On Sunday, January 10, 2010 10:51 AM
    XS11E wrote:

    The preview IS a beta.
    The preview IS a beta.

    The Usenet Improvement Project:

    On Sunday, January 10, 2010 3:07 PM
    Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:

    I have not spent any time with Office 2010 yet, though I am about to fire itup
    I have not spent any time with Office 2010 yet, though I am about to fire it
    up on a VM. But I mostly use Office 2007 apps EXCEPT for Word. I will not
    upgrade to Word 2007 from Word 2003, so I doubt I will be any more inclined to
    run Word 2010.

    I have been involved with so many betas over the years that I have gotten quite
    careful about how I do things. With the exception of running Windows betas
    on my main workstation ("self-hosting", in MS parlance), I always run betas
    in a safe environment unless I am involved in a TAP or its equivalent that
    will directly support me during the beta. In the old days, we used
    dual/multi-boot environments, but virtualization has been the salvation of
    beta testers. Less so of beta teams, since it means that people are running
    on essentially identical hardware.

    it is fun to test the newest stuff and often a learning experience as well,
    but it does have risks. And Office is one that has bitten me more than once,
    so I treat it with special caution.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

    On Tuesday, January 12, 2010 6:49 PM
    Vjekoslav wrote:

    ma jedi bre govna majmune sta lupas tu gluposti
    ma jedi bre govna majmune sta lupas tu gluposti

    Adding WCF Service References
    http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorial...9-dfa51a9fab8e/adding-wcf-service-refere.aspx

    Bryan Custer, Feb 12, 2010
  13. XS11E

    XS11E Guest

    RE: microsoft max damage

    Bryan Custer wrote:

    > Well it sounds as if your experance is less then perfect with this
    > beta.

    I'd consider that a true statement....

    > This is what i would actualy recomend doing boot into the
    > account yu have the issue with. Reinstall office 2010 beta.

    Not over your dead body! ;-)

    I have no intention of ever buying it so the trial was only out of
    curiosity, my curiosity is now satisfied.

    The Usenet Improvement Project:

    XS11E, Feb 12, 2010