    trial but even that fails. I have downloaded openoffice successfully as
    a last resort but it wont open any of the documents on the home network
    i have. TIA.
    PWB, Feb 15, 2009

  2. PWB

    Mara Guest

    On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 23:39:47 +0000, PWB <> wrote:

    >I wonder if someone can help me please? I have a disc containing office
    >2007, This pc is on a home network. Office 2007 is installed on my other
    >PC but everytime I try to install it on here it fails to install, I've
    >ven for the sake of seeing what will happen tryed downloading the free
    >trial but even that fails. I have downloaded openoffice successfully as
    >a last resort but it wont open any of the documents on the home network
    >i have. TIA.

    Are you saving the files with default extensions in Office 2007? (.docx, etc.)
    If so, if you resave them as Office 2003 files (.doc, etc.) then OO will open
    them.

    --
    "Every time I say something they find hard to hear, they chalk it up to my anger,
    and never to their own fear." -- Ani DiFranco
    Mara, Feb 15, 2009

  3. PWB

    PWB Guest

    Mara wrote:
    > On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 23:39:47 +0000, PWB <> wrote:
    >
    >> I wonder if someone can help me please? I have a disc containing office
    >> 2007, This pc is on a home network. Office 2007 is installed on my other
    >> PC but everytime I try to install it on here it fails to install, I've
    >> ven for the sake of seeing what will happen tryed downloading the free
    >> trial but even that fails. I have downloaded openoffice successfully as
    >> a last resort but it wont open any of the documents on the home network
    >> i have. TIA.

    > Are you saving the files with default extensions in Office 2007? (.docx, etc.)
    > If so, if you resave them as Office 2003 files (.doc, etc.) then OO will open
    > them.

    They are ones that have already been sent to me but being that I've got
    them and MS office on the other PC I can open them up and re save them
    in that format . Thanks
    PWB, Feb 16, 2009
  4. PWB

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 23:39:47 +0000, PWB <> wrote:

    >I wonder if someone can help me please? I have a disc containing office
    >2007, This pc is on a home network. Office 2007 is installed on my other
    >PC but everytime I try to install it on here it fails to install, I've
    >ven for the sake of seeing what will happen tryed downloading the free
    >trial but even that fails.

    A good start would be googling whatever error message you get.

    >I have downloaded openoffice successfully as a last resort

    Last resort? MS Office is the last resort. OO is the first choice.

    >but it wont open any of the documents on the home network
    >i have. TIA.

    And we're supposed to guess what documents these are?
    Evan Platt, Feb 16, 2009
  5. PWB

    Mara Guest

    On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 00:14:55 +0000, PWB <> wrote:

    >Mara wrote:
    >> On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 23:39:47 +0000, PWB <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I wonder if someone can help me please? I have a disc containing office
    >>> 2007, This pc is on a home network. Office 2007 is installed on my other
    >>> PC but everytime I try to install it on here it fails to install, I've
    >>> ven for the sake of seeing what will happen tryed downloading the free
    >>> trial but even that fails. I have downloaded openoffice successfully as
    >>> a last resort but it wont open any of the documents on the home network
    >>> i have. TIA.

    >> Are you saving the files with default extensions in Office 2007? (.docx, etc.)
    >> If so, if you resave them as Office 2003 files (.doc, etc.) then OO will open
    >> them.
    >>

    >They are ones that have already been sent to me but being that I've got
    >them and MS office on the other PC I can open them up and re save them
    >in that format . Thanks

    Before you do that, though, if you haven't done this already, you might want to
    go here:

    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/downloads/default.aspx

    and make sure Office is up to date.

    I hope that solves your problem. I use both programs at work (2007 and the
    latest version of OO) and I can convert them myself, but other users run into
    difficulties with the 2007 default. Once the files are resaved, there's no
    reason you shouldn't be able to open them with OO.

    Mara, Feb 16, 2009
  6. PWB

    Mara Guest

    On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 22:24:07 -0500, SgtMinor <>
    wrote:

    >PWB wrote:
    >> I wonder if someone can help me please? I have a disc containing office
    >> 2007, This pc is on a home network. Office 2007 is installed on my other
    >> PC but everytime I try to install it on here it fails to install, I've
    >> ven for the sake of seeing what will happen tryed downloading the free
    >> trial but even that fails. I have downloaded openoffice successfully as
    >> a last resort but it wont open any of the documents on the home network
    >> i have. TIA.

    >"Open a Word 2007 document in an earlier version of Word."
    >Download the Compatibility Pack - site says it will work for other
    >Office 2007 files too:
    >http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word/HA100444731033.aspx

    That works fine if Office is all you're dealing with, but IME it doesn't work
    out with an Office/OO combination.

    Mara, Feb 16, 2009