    them with older versions of office? as some of my contacts are unable to
    open the documents, and i wonder if any one in the group knows if all office
    2007 applications are similer ? TIA
    PWB, Feb 5, 2008

  2. PWB

    Richard Guest

    "PWB" <> wrote in message
    news:lKVpj.2595$...
    >I have office 2007 , how do I send .docs to others so that they can open
    >them with older versions of office? as some of my contacts are unable to
    >open the documents, and i wonder if any one in the group knows if all
    >office 2007 applications are similer ? TIA

    They can install Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and
    PowerPoint 2007 File Formats. Only 27.5 Mb
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...70-3ae9-4aee-8f43-c6bb74cd1466&displaylang=en
    Richard, Feb 5, 2008

  3. PWB wrote:

    > I have office 2007 , how do I send .docs to others so that they can
    > open them with older versions of office? as some of my contacts are
    > unable to open the documents, and i wonder if any one in the group
    > knows if all office 2007 applications are similer ? TIA

    You are probably saving the file in the new Microsoft default
    proprietary format of ".docx".

    File > Save As...
    and pick something the rest of the world can read.

    .rtf
    .doc (for those with word processors)
    Plain Text ...

    "Richard" suggests asking everyone else to install 27 Megabytes of a
    compatibility pack ... that borders on rudeness. (Sorry, Richard.)

    --
    -bts
    -Friends don't let friends drive Vista
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 5, 2008
  4. PWB

    Mike Easter Guest

    PWB wrote:
    > I have office 2007 ,

    Whose proprietary default XML format is way incompatible with the world
    at large including MS Office for Mac.

    > how do I send .docs to others so that they can
    > open them with older versions of office?

    Use your 'Save as' function and choose "Word/Excel/PowerPoint 97-2003
    Document" (.doc, .xls, .ppt)"

    > as some of my contacts are
    > unable to open the documents, and i wonder if any one in the group
    > knows if all office 2007 applications are similer ?

    Yes. The suit defaults into xml.

    MS also offers you a 'save as .pdf or .xps' add-on

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Feb 5, 2008
  5. PWB

    Old Codger Guest

    PWB wrote:
    > I have office 2007 , how do I send .docs to others so that they can open
    > them with older versions of office? as some of my contacts are unable to
    > open the documents, and i wonder if any one in the group knows if all office
    > 2007 applications are similer ? TIA

    Use Open Office instead? :)

    --
    Old Codger
    e-mail use reply to field

    Old Codger, Feb 5, 2008
  6. PWB

    Mike Easter Guest

    Old Codger wrote:
    > PWB wrote:
    >> I have office 2007 , how do I send .docs to others so that they can
    >> open them with older versions of office? as some of my contacts are
    >> unable to open the documents, and i wonder if any one in the group
    >> knows if all office 2007 applications are similer ? TIA
    >>

    > Use Open Office instead? :)

    That is a good suggestion. People who share documents shouldn't use MS
    Office beyond 2003. Besides the issue of the incompatible default .XML
    format, we haven't even started talking about the problem of the
    incompatible fonts and the impact of the incompatible fonts on font
    metric manifestations.

    MS is so completely hungup on its proprietary world that it chooses to
    be incompatible with the rest of the world, as if everyone should
    immediately go buy some new computers and Vista and Office 2007.

    Instead of that, people should *not* buy computers with Vista installed
    and should *not* try to share docs created with Office 2007.

    If you are going to share docs, use Open Office (or alternatively Google
    docs) to create them. If the shared docs don't need shared editing but
    just viewing and/or printing, then save them as .pdf from OO.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Feb 5, 2008
  7. Old Codger wrote:

    > PWB wrote:
    >> I have office 2007 , how do I send .docs to others so that they can
    >> open them with older versions of office? as some of my contacts are
    >> unable to open the documents, and i wonder if any one in the group
    >> knows if all office 2007 applications are similer ? TIA

    > Use Open Office instead? :)

    Great idea! Though one must still remember to Save As a format that
    others can read. RTF is usually best.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 5, 2008
  8. PWB

    Old Codger Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > Old Codger wrote:
    >
    >> PWB wrote:
    >>> I have office 2007 , how do I send .docs to others so that they can
    >>> open them with older versions of office? as some of my contacts are
    >>> unable to open the documents, and i wonder if any one in the group
    >>> knows if all office 2007 applications are similer ? TIA

    >> Use Open Office instead? :)

    > Great idea! Though one must still remember to Save As a format that
    > others can read. RTF is usually best.

    Indeed.

    The other advantage is that OO will open most other formats of
    documents, spreadsheets and presentations.

    --
    Old Codger
    e-mail use reply to field

    Old Codger, Feb 5, 2008
  9. PWB

    Mike Easter Guest

    Old Codger wrote:

    > The other advantage is that OO will open most other formats of
    > documents, spreadsheets and presentations.

    OO doesn't have a converter yet for MS's OOXML, MS doesn't make a 'real'
    converter for its OOXML yet, except something to help its older versions
    of Office to partially handle it. The alleged converters are
    bogus/hoaxes and incomplete.

    OOXML ie ECMA 376 is a great big mess that MS is working diligently at
    forcing down the world's throat.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Feb 5, 2008
  10. PWB

    PWB Guest

    PWB, Feb 5, 2008
  11. PWB

    Jim McCARDLE Guest

    In word 2007 under options there is a setting for how to save your
    files, select word 2003 as the default. The options tab is at the
    bottom of the dropdown on the icon at the top left corner of the
    screen.

    Jim McC

    Jim McCARDLE, Feb 5, 2008
  12. PWB

    PWB Guest

    "Jim McCARDLE" <> wrote in message
    > In word 2007 under options there is a setting for how to save your
    > files, select word 2003 as the default. The options tab is at the
    > bottom of the dropdown on the icon at the top left corner of the
    > screen.
    >
    > Jim McC

    I didnt see the option at the bottom till you said about it . Thanks

    PWB, Feb 6, 2008