    Has anyone tried installing Office 2007 beta on a 64 bit environment with
    the Vista OS? Is it even possible?

    TIA for any comments.......katy
    katy, Aug 1, 2006

  2. katy

    Jane C Guest

    Installed and working fine on Vista x64 :)

    --
    Jane, not plain ;) 64bit enabled ;)
    Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation :)

    Jane C, Aug 1, 2006

  3. It runs on x64 just like Office 2003 does. 32bit programs run fine under
    WOW64.

    Colin Barnhorst, Aug 1, 2006
  4. It runs as well on x64 as it does on 32-bit Windows. Which is to say, it's
    been ripped off every machine on my network that had it.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 1, 2006
  5. Charlie:
    I think that you would like Office 2007B2 if the default for saving
    a document in Word as a ".doc" (1997-2003 template) instead of a ".docx"
    Word document. Trying to open a "docx" document with Word creates a crash or
    lock-up.

    Dennis Pack x64, v64B2 \(5384\), OPP2007B2, Aug 1, 2006
  6. You are incorrect. I tried it. After it broke every single one of my macros,
    and made it impossible to recreate them, I was done. I have dozens of macros
    that are key productivity tools, all tied to keyboard shortcuts.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 1, 2006
  7. katy

    John Barnes Guest

    OUCH!!

    John Barnes, Aug 1, 2006
  8. yeah. The problem is, they've re-written it to make it more accessible to
    general users. Which is a laudable goal. But in the process, they have
    destroyed it for power users. And when it comes to Word, I think I
    definitely qualify as a power user.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 1, 2006
  9. katy

    John Barnes Guest

    You sure would qualify. OTOH I use Word to print 20 envelopes a year. :)
    No power user here

    > yeah. The problem is, they've re-written it to make it more accessible to
    > general users. Which is a laudable goal. But in the process, they have
    > destroyed it for power users. And when it comes to Word, I think I
    > definitely qualify as a power user.
    >
    > --
    > Charlie.
    > http://msmvps.com/xperts64
    >

    > John Barnes wrote:
    >> OUCH!!

    >>> You are incorrect. I tried it. After it broke every single one of my
    >>> macros, and made it impossible to recreate them, I was done. I have
    >>> dozens of macros that are key productivity tools, all tied to keyboard
    >>> shortcuts. --
    >>> Charlie.

    John Barnes, Aug 2, 2006
  10. katy

    DP Guest

    I read that MS is now charging $1.50 to download the beta, it has become so
    popular.

    DP, Aug 2, 2006
  11. I have a few dozen macros, all tied to key stroke combinations. Everything
    from the simple - ^K,N to change the current style to "Normal", to ^Q,F to
    insert "Figure 01-27" where 01 is replaced by the current chapter number,
    prompting to make sure it has the right one remembered, and 27 is replaced
    by the current figure number for that chapter, as a field. And, since it's
    ^Q, not ^K, I know that it uses the previous figure number field, not the
    next one in the sequence, since it's used in a caption. The ^K version is
    for the initial call out.

    I've written these over time, as needs require, and migrated them to
    whatever the current version is. That is not happening this time around, and
    I don't see myself upgrading any time soon. Maybe AFTER Longhorn server
    ships. But only if my publisher insists.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 2, 2006
  12. katy

    DP Guest

    Tell me you had these backed up somehow.

    DP, Aug 2, 2006
  13. Oh, yes. WAY backed up, several generations deep. I sometimes have a
    versioning problem, but not a backup problem. :)

    Also, I only used Office 2k7 in the Vista partition, which was a pure
    scratch space anyway. No way I'd EVER allow an office beta on my production
    partition. I'm way too old a hand for that.

    So when I got done with it, I simply formatted D: and installed the next
    build of Vista. And put a 180 day demo copy of Office on it. :)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 2, 2006