Office 2007 Beta 2

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Steven H, May 31, 2006.

  1. Steven H

    Steven H Guest

    so its been out for over a week, freely available and downloadable to anybody
    with a passport.

    who else (apart form me) is using it ?

    any thaughts ?

    after my initial problems with outlook not rendering messages properly (due
    to AVG Email intergration & Office Developers changing a big chunk of that
    functionality) i have to say that i can actually find stuff.

    we all know how complex Word and Excel are, having to mine through endless
    menus not always finding stuff (renember that 'feature' where the menus would
    hide buttons not used in a while ?). the office ribbins certanly end the
    pain of trying to find stuff.

    granted the first time i tried to 'paste special' i was searching swearing
    and generally feeling stupid when i saw that big ass 'paste' button in the
    left of the 'home' ribbin, before when i wanted to do a 'paste special' (ie
    when you dont want to paste the formatting) i had to click through several
    things just to be able to do it - now its two clicks.

    i can see that the 'ribbins' will be one of thoes things that are cloned
    all through damnation (its rare when Microsoft takes a UI leap and nobody
    follows, more often than not everybody follows) - its really only sutible
    for big ass programs with lots of functionality (ie word and excel), but
    it does give a level of 'sexyness' (yes these things matter when you are
    dealing with 'real clients') that will be appreciated even by smaller systems.

    one thing that did annoy me with the default install was the colour-scheme,
    I found it hard trying to focus on stuff as often there wasnt quite enough
    color difference to let you make out some text - admittidly my eyes are f***ed,
    so i switched teh colour scheme to 'Windows Vista (grey)' and now its quite
    pleasant to look at.

    anyhow if your giving it a try, what do you think ?

    ----------------
    Steven H

    the madGeek
    Steven H, May 31, 2006

  2. Steven H

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Tue, 30 May 2006 23:46:20 +0000 (UTC), Steven H
    <> exclaimed:

    >so its been out for over a week, freely available and downloadable to anybody
    >with a passport.
    >
    >who else (apart form me) is using it ?

    Well, looking at the video, even Cup of Pee will have to admit it
    looks like a big jump forwards.

    http://www.microsoft.com/office/preview/ui/video.mspx

    I guess it again highlights the difference between hobby apps (ie
    those that part-time developers work on as a hobby, ie Open Source)
    versus what a large, dedicated professional team can accomplish. The
    OpenOffice people must be getting worried - no doubt as they hack and
    copy.

    Downloading now, to see if it lives up to the video. Will post first
    impressions shortly.
    Fred Dagg, May 31, 2006

  3. Steven H

    impossible Guest

    "Steven H" <> wrote in message
    > so its been out for over a week, freely available and downloadable
    > to anybody with a passport.
    > who else (apart form me) is using it ?
    >
    > any thaughts ?
    >
    > after my initial problems with outlook not rendering messages
    > properly (due to AVG Email intergration & Office Developers changing
    > a big chunk of that functionality) i have to say that i can actually
    > find stuff.
    >
    > we all know how complex Word and Excel are, having to mine through
    > endless menus not always finding stuff (renember that 'feature'
    > where the menus would hide buttons not used in a while ?). the
    > office ribbins certanly end the pain of trying to find stuff.
    >
    > granted the first time i tried to 'paste special' i was searching
    > swearing and generally feeling stupid when i saw that big ass
    > 'paste' button in the left of the 'home' ribbin, before when i
    > wanted to do a 'paste special' (ie when you dont want to paste the
    > formatting) i had to click through several things just to be able to
    > do it - now its two clicks.
    >
    > i can see that the 'ribbins' will be one of thoes things that are
    > cloned all through damnation (its rare when Microsoft takes a UI
    > leap and nobody follows, more often than not everybody follows) -
    > its really only sutible for big ass programs with lots of
    > functionality (ie word and excel), but it does give a level of
    > 'sexyness' (yes these things matter when you are dealing with 'real
    > clients') that will be appreciated even by smaller systems.
    >
    > one thing that did annoy me with the default install was the
    > colour-scheme, I found it hard trying to focus on stuff as often
    > there wasnt quite enough color difference to let you make out some
    > text - admittidly my eyes are f***ed, so i switched teh colour
    > scheme to 'Windows Vista (grey)' and now its quite pleasant to look
    > at.
    >
    > anyhow if your giving it a try, what do you think ?

    I'm not brave enough to actually install any betas on my system. But
    I've taken the video tour through Office 7 that's available (can't
    fink the link just now). Anyway, your experience seems to square with
    mine. I was pleasantly surprised to see how much functionality had
    been added, especially -- for my purposes -- with the live formatting
    galleries, which let you pause over a selection and have your current
    document rendered accordingly. Maybe this works better on video than
    in real life :) But I'm hopeful. The charting capability also seems
    much improved. I have a library full of little VBA routines I
    habitually use to accomplish some of these things now, and it seems
    very possible that a number of them will become obsolete. But then
    there will always be new gaps to fill, so....

    Any thoughts yet on how the apps "feel" performance wise?
    impossible, May 31, 2006
  4. Steven H

    Mutlley Guest

    Steven H <> wrote:

    >so its been out for over a week, freely available and downloadable to anybody
    >with a passport.
    >
    >who else (apart form me) is using it ?
    >
    >any thaughts ?
    >
    >after my initial problems with outlook not rendering messages properly (due
    >to AVG Email intergration & Office Developers changing a big chunk of that
    >functionality) i have to say that i can actually find stuff.
    >
    >we all know how complex Word and Excel are, having to mine through endless
    >menus not always finding stuff (renember that 'feature' where the menus would
    >hide buttons not used in a while ?). the office ribbins certanly end the
    >pain of trying to find stuff.
    >
    >granted the first time i tried to 'paste special' i was searching swearing
    >and generally feeling stupid when i saw that big ass 'paste' button in the
    >left of the 'home' ribbin, before when i wanted to do a 'paste special' (ie
    >when you dont want to paste the formatting) i had to click through several
    >things just to be able to do it - now its two clicks.
    >
    >i can see that the 'ribbins' will be one of thoes things that are cloned
    >all through damnation (its rare when Microsoft takes a UI leap and nobody
    >follows, more often than not everybody follows) - its really only sutible
    >for big ass programs with lots of functionality (ie word and excel), but
    >it does give a level of 'sexyness' (yes these things matter when you are
    >dealing with 'real clients') that will be appreciated even by smaller systems.
    >
    >one thing that did annoy me with the default install was the colour-scheme,
    >I found it hard trying to focus on stuff as often there wasnt quite enough
    >color difference to let you make out some text - admittidly my eyes are f***ed,
    >so i switched teh colour scheme to 'Windows Vista (grey)' and now its quite
    >pleasant to look at.
    >
    >anyhow if your giving it a try, what do you think ?
    >
    >----------------
    >Steven H
    >
    >the madGeek

    I've got a Beta here dated Feb 20-06 which I thought was beta 2 but
    it doesn't say.

    However From what I have seen and others here at work I not overly
    impressed with the new layout. A real learning curve I suspect for
    Office users. I prefer the 2003 and earlier look myself. I suspect
    it's a case of MS changing the interface for changes sake and charging
    a bundle more for it.
    Mutlley, May 31, 2006
  5. Steven H

    Steven H Guest

    Hello Impossible,

    > Any thoughts yet on how the apps "feel" performance wise?

    well its running fine on a 900mhz TB with 512 megs of memory, a guy who's
    blog i read has it going 'ok' on a Toshiba Tecra 8000, Pentium II, 400 MHZ,
    256MB RAM. iirc he said that it works but you should be a little bit patient.

    the new eye candy will be taking a decent amount of cpu time (all Windows
    pre Vista does graphics on the cpu, vista does it on the graphics card where
    possible).

    one of the things i really like is that the ribbins change baised on what
    you are doing, got a image selected then the ribbin will show 'stuff you
    can do with images' - i like this contextual stuff, makes life easier.

    ----------------
    Steven H

    the madGeek

    Steven H, May 31, 2006
  6. Steven H

    Vista Guest

    "Steven H" <> wrote in message
    > so its been out for over a week, freely available and downloadable to
    > anybody with a passport.
    > who else (apart form me) is using it ?
    >
    > any thaughts ?
    >
    > after my initial problems with outlook not rendering messages properly
    > (due to AVG Email intergration & Office Developers changing a big chunk of
    > that functionality) i have to say that i can actually find stuff.
    >
    > we all know how complex Word and Excel are, having to mine through endless
    > menus not always finding stuff (renember that 'feature' where the menus
    > would hide buttons not used in a while ?). the office ribbins certanly end
    > the pain of trying to find stuff.
    >
    > granted the first time i tried to 'paste special' i was searching swearing
    > and generally feeling stupid when i saw that big ass 'paste' button in the
    > left of the 'home' ribbin, before when i wanted to do a 'paste special'
    > (ie when you dont want to paste the formatting) i had to click through
    > several things just to be able to do it - now its two clicks.

    It looks like they have borrowed (ripped off) some of the menu system from
    Macromedias dreamweaver, including the top menu system
    Vista, May 31, 2006
  7. Steven H

    Steven H Guest

    Hello Mutlley,

    > I've got a Beta here dated Feb 20-06 which I thought was beta 2 but
    > it doesn't say.

    CTP? that you got it with your MSDN subscription (only way to get it)

    > However From what I have seen and others here at work I not overly
    > impressed with the new layout.

    how so

    > A real learning curve I suspect for
    > Office users.

    there is always a learning curve, espically when ui is changed dramattically

    > I prefer the 2003 and earlier look myself. I suspect
    > it's a case of MS changing the interface for changes sake and charging
    > a bundle more for it.

    here i disagree, a 're invention' of the office ui had to happen sooner or
    later. the menus were getting wayyyy to complex and messy.

    but it will be intresting to see how both novice and 'professiona' office
    users adapt to the new ui, i will bet that the 'professionals' will kick
    up more of a stink and the novices once they get over the initial shock will
    adapt easier.

    ----------------
    Steven H

    the madGeek

    Steven H, May 31, 2006
  8. Steven H

    Steven H Guest

    Steven H, May 31, 2006
  9. Steven H

    Julian Visch Guest

    Steven H wrote:

    > so its been out for over a week, freely available and downloadable to
    > anybody with a passport.
    >
    > who else (apart form me) is using it ?
    >
    > any thaughts ?

    Do they still have the clipboard they brought out with 2003, or have they
    got rid of it? As their clipboard has given me no end of headaches at work,
    with their clipboard grabbing selections copying into their clipboard and
    then unselecting what I selected despite the fact that I didn't want the
    clipboard thing to select it.
    Julian Visch, Jun 1, 2006
  10. Steven H

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Tue, 30 May 2006 23:46:20 +0000 (UTC), Steven H
    <> exclaimed:

    >so its been out for over a week, freely available and downloadable to anybody
    >with a passport.
    >
    >who else (apart form me) is using it ?
    >
    >any thaughts ?

    My god, Office 2007 is good.

    I haven't got time for a full review as yet, but the only problem I've
    found is that it doesn't play well with Office 2003 (installed in a
    different folder).

    Seriously, though, there's no going back!
    Fred Dagg, Jun 1, 2006
  11. Steven H

    Steven H Guest

    Hello Julian,

    > Do they still have the clipboard they brought out with 2003

    i havent seen it, but my 2007b2 install is an *upgrade* of an existing 2003
    install. the first thing i do when i install 2003 is turn off that stupid
    ass 'smart' clipboard.

    personally i consider that clipboard to be in the same leauge as clippy -
    damn annoying ! (nudge nudge wink wink - microsofties listenning :)

    ----------------
    Steven H

    the madGeek

    Steven H, Jun 1, 2006
  12. Steven H

    Steven H Guest

    Hello Fred,

    > My god, Office 2007 is good.

    for a beta 2 its damn good, i dont want to go back either.

    > I haven't got time for a full review as yet, but the only problem I've
    > found is that it doesn't play well with Office 2003 (installed in a
    > different folder).

    there should have been an option to keep your existing install (you can keep
    everything but outlook, you cant have the old and new versions of outlook
    on the same machine).

    but it is good that your first impressions are positave.

    what do you think about the contextual interface (ribbins)

    ----------------
    Steven H

    the madGeek

    Steven H, Jun 1, 2006
  13. Steven H

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Thu, 1 Jun 2006 04:31:54 +0000 (UTC), Steven H
    <> exclaimed:

    >Hello Fred,
    >
    >> My god, Office 2007 is good.

    >for a beta 2 its damn good, i dont want to go back either.
    >
    >> I haven't got time for a full review as yet, but the only problem I've
    >> found is that it doesn't play well with Office 2003 (installed in a
    >> different folder).

    >there should have been an option to keep your existing install (you can keep
    >everything but outlook, you cant have the old and new versions of outlook
    >on the same machine).

    Yup, that's the option I selected. Still broken some things, though
    (eg I get a bunch of errors when Word2003 opens, although it does
    eventually open, and they don't actually uninstall Outlook2003 - when
    I accidentally opened it, it broke Outlook2007 completely,
    necessitating a reinstall ("repair")).

    >but it is good that your first impressions are positave.

    It's just really, really nice. There's heaps of little subtle things
    that just make life so much easier - eg in Outlook, it you've got an
    email that has been banged backwards and forwards a few times, there's
    a nice "next/previous message" thing that lets you cleanly just from
    one to the next.

    >what do you think about the contextual interface (ribbins)

    They're nice, although it doesn't always jump to the right one (eg
    doesn't always jump to the "images" ribbon when you select an image -
    sometimes you have to doubleclick on it, or select it manually).

    However, as far as easily finding things, it is a vast improvement.
    Fred Dagg, Jun 1, 2006
  14. Steven H

    Julian Visch Guest

    Steven H wrote:

    > Hello Julian,
    >
    >> Do they still have the clipboard they brought out with 2003

    > i havent seen it, but my 2007b2 install is an *upgrade* of an existing
    > 2003 install. the first thing i do when i install 2003 is turn off that
    > stupid ass 'smart' clipboard.

    The problem is you can't turn it off without also shutting down all office
    products, it just does it in the background instead.
    Julian Visch, Jun 1, 2006
  15. Steven H

    impossible Guest

    "Julian Visch" <> wrote in message
    > Steven H wrote:
    >
    >> Hello Julian,
    >>
    >>> Do they still have the clipboard they brought out with 2003

    >> i havent seen it, but my 2007b2 install is an *upgrade* of an
    >> existing
    >> 2003 install. the first thing i do when i install 2003 is turn off
    >> that
    >> stupid ass 'smart' clipboard.

    > The problem is you can't turn it off without also shutting down all
    > office
    > products, it just does it in the background instead.

    Which is a problem how? Resource-wise, maybe, depending on your
    machine. But frankly I wish other document-editing programs I use had
    this feature. The clipboard just keeps a time-ordered file of all your
    copies and cuts -- text, images, whatever. Quite an improvement, I'd
    say, over the old Word2-vintage "spike". If you don't need it, fine,
    you never have to fool with it. But what's the big deal?
    impossible, Jun 1, 2006
  16. Steven H

    Guest

    I've played around with it a bit. It's quite good, but it's certianly
    aimed at the bimbo blonde office worker. But then again I suppose you
    can't really blame them for that.

    Steven H wrote:
    > so its been out for over a week, freely available and downloadable to anybody
    > with a passport.
    >
    > who else (apart form me) is using it ?
    >
    > any thaughts ?
    >
    > after my initial problems with outlook not rendering messages properly (due
    > to AVG Email intergration & Office Developers changing a big chunk of that
    > functionality) i have to say that i can actually find stuff.
    >
    > we all know how complex Word and Excel are, having to mine through endless
    > menus not always finding stuff (renember that 'feature' where the menus would
    > hide buttons not used in a while ?). the office ribbins certanly end the
    > pain of trying to find stuff.
    >
    > granted the first time i tried to 'paste special' i was searching swearing
    > and generally feeling stupid when i saw that big ass 'paste' button in the
    > left of the 'home' ribbin, before when i wanted to do a 'paste special' (ie
    > when you dont want to paste the formatting) i had to click through several
    > things just to be able to do it - now its two clicks.
    >
    > i can see that the 'ribbins' will be one of thoes things that are cloned
    > all through damnation (its rare when Microsoft takes a UI leap and nobody
    > follows, more often than not everybody follows) - its really only sutible
    > for big ass programs with lots of functionality (ie word and excel), but
    > it does give a level of 'sexyness' (yes these things matter when you are
    > dealing with 'real clients') that will be appreciated even by smaller systems.
    >
    > one thing that did annoy me with the default install was the colour-scheme,
    > I found it hard trying to focus on stuff as often there wasnt quite enough
    > color difference to let you make out some text - admittidly my eyes are f***ed,
    > so i switched teh colour scheme to 'Windows Vista (grey)' and now its quite
    > pleasant to look at.
    >
    > anyhow if your giving it a try, what do you think ?
    >
    > ----------------
    > Steven H
    >
    > the madGeek
    , Jun 1, 2006
  17. Steven H

    impossible Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > I've played around with it a bit. It's quite good, but it's
    > certianly
    > aimed at the bimbo blonde office worker. But then again I suppose
    > you
    > can't really blame them for that.

    Most of the "bimbo blonde office workers" I know are the real
    power-users, and so maybe you're missing something. What exactly is it
    you do with Office that makes you so contemptuous of people that are
    looking for easier ways to get their work done?
    impossible, Jun 2, 2006
  18. Steven H

    Guest

    impossible wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    > > I've played around with it a bit. It's quite good, but it's
    > > certianly
    > > aimed at the bimbo blonde office worker. But then again I suppose
    > > you
    > > can't really blame them for that.
    > >

    > Most of the "bimbo blonde office workers" I know are the real
    > power-users, and so maybe you're missing something. What exactly is it
    > you do with Office that makes you so contemptuous of people that are
    > looking for easier ways to get their work done?

    I type letters and sometimes use the bold function.
    , Jun 2, 2006
  19. Steven H

    Julian Visch Guest

    impossible wrote:

    >> The problem is you can't turn it off without also shutting down all
    >> office
    >> products, it just does it in the background instead.
    >>

    > Which is a problem how? Resource-wise, maybe, depending on your
    > machine. But frankly I wish other document-editing programs I use had
    > this feature. The clipboard just keeps a time-ordered file of all your
    > copies and cuts -- text, images, whatever. Quite an improvement, I'd
    > say, over the old Word2-vintage "spike". If you don't need it, fine,
    > you never have to fool with it. But what's the big deal?

    The big deal is that is deselects my selection from my other package making
    it impossible for me to select anything in that package (pcxware) without
    first exiting out of all office products, this makes editing within pcxware
    impossible. Office should only copy into its
    clipboard those that are copied from an office product or there should be
    the option of copy to office clipboard yes/no.
    Julian Visch, Jun 2, 2006
  20. Steven H

    > impossible wrote:
    >

    >>> The problem is you can't turn it off without also shutting down
    >>> all
    >>> office
    >>> products, it just does it in the background instead.
    >>>

    >> Which is a problem how? Resource-wise, maybe, depending on your
    >> machine. But frankly I wish other document-editing programs I use
    >> had
    >> this feature. The clipboard just keeps a time-ordered file of all
    >> your
    >> copies and cuts -- text, images, whatever. Quite an improvement,
    >> I'd
    >> say, over the old Word2-vintage "spike". If you don't need it,
    >> fine,
    >> you never have to fool with it. But what's the big deal?

    > The big deal is that is deselects my selection from my other package
    > making
    > it impossible for me to select anything in that package (pcxware)
    > without
    > first exiting out of all office products, this makes editing within
    > pcxware
    > impossible. Office should only copy into its
    > clipboard those that are copied from an office product or there
    > should be
    > the option of copy to office clipboard yes/no.

    pcxware? How old is that? I'm not sure you can really expect Microsoft
    to gurantee compatibility with a product that even the company that
    made it no longer suppports.
    impossible, Jun 2, 2006