    any earth-shaking reasons *not* to upgrade to Office 2003?

    Thanks in advance. My OS is Windoze XP/Pro/SP1.

    -S-

    Steve Freides, Jan 8, 2004

  2. Steve Freides

    jose3030 Guest

    On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 13:49:32 -0500, "Steve Freides"
    <> wrote:

    >I've got copies of MS Office 2003 here, all licensed to my business and all
    >that. My computer, which was purchased in August, came with Office 2002,
    >apparently right at the end of the time Dell was selling that version.
    >
    >Is the upgrade to 2003 worthwhile? I hear the spam filtering is much better
    >in Outlook 2003 - any other earth-shaking differences? More importantly,
    >any earth-shaking reasons *not* to upgrade to Office 2003?
    >
    >Thanks in advance. My OS is Windoze XP/Pro/SP1.
    >
    >-S-

    I've installed Office 2003 on my work computer and my home computer.
    I suggest that you upgrade, it seems like a worthwhile upgrade.

    jose3030, Jan 8, 2004

  3. Alexander Rogge, Jan 8, 2004
  4. Steve Freides

    Spider Guest

    > I've got copies of MS Office 2003 here, all licensed to my business and all
    > that. My computer, which was purchased in August, came with Office 2002,
    > apparently right at the end of the time Dell was selling that version.
    >
    > Is the upgrade to 2003 worthwhile? I hear the spam filtering is much better
    > in Outlook 2003 - any other earth-shaking differences? More importantly,
    > any earth-shaking reasons *not* to upgrade to Office 2003?
    >
    > Thanks in advance. My OS is Windoze XP/Pro/SP1.
    >
    > -S-

    Since you already have it, it is most certainly worth upgrading. Outlook is the main reason as they have significantly improved the product. The spam control is sweet and nothing like previous versions of Outlook. But there are many other enhancements as well. I really like the way it deals with html messages now. By default it will not pull any images or download any content from web servers. The user interface is totally different, but once you get used to it, I think you'll like it. Try leaving the preview pane on the side for awhile and give it a chance before moving it to the bottom where you are probably used to having it.
    Spider
    http://web.tampabay.rr.com/spider1

    Spider, Jan 9, 2004
  5. Steve Freides

    Spider Guest

    Re: Re: Office 2003 upgrade from 2002? Worthwhile

    > > Is the upgrade to 2003 worthwhile? I hear the spam filtering is much better
    > > in Outlook 2003 - any other earth-shaking differences? More importantly,
    > > any earth-shaking reasons *not* to upgrade to Office 2003?

    > http://www.lindows.com/lindows_michaelsminutes_archives.php?id=86
    >
    > Upgrade to a standards-compliant package like OpenOffice.org
    > (http://www.openoffice.org/) instead.

    Oh really. Please tell me all about the superior email software that is built into this product. I'm anxious to hear all about it.

    Spider, Jan 9, 2004
  6. >>>Is the upgrade to 2003 worthwhile? I hear the spam filtering is much better
    >>>in Outlook 2003 - any other earth-shaking differences? More importantly,
    >>>any earth-shaking reasons *not* to upgrade to Office 2003?

    >>http://www.lindows.com/lindows_michaelsminutes_archives.php?id=86
    >>
    >>Upgrade to a standards-compliant package like OpenOffice.org
    >>(http://www.openoffice.org/) instead.

    > Oh really. Please tell me all about the superior email software that is built into this product. I'm anxious to hear all about it.

    There are many reasons to avoid Microsoft software, and the bundling of
    an e-mail application that is being used to flood networks with
    Microsoft worms (http://lugod.org/microsoft/?filter=outlook) shouldn't
    be a reason to use Microsoft Office 2003. Microsoft Office does not
    support real standards, and is even incompatible with itself.

    Alexander Rogge, Jan 9, 2004
  7. Steve Freides

    Spider Guest

    Re: Re: Office 2003 upgrade from 2002? Worthwhile

    > >>http://www.lindows.com/lindows_michaelsminutes_archives.php?id=86
    > >>
    > >>Upgrade to a standards-compliant package like OpenOffice.org
    > >>(http://www.openoffice.org/) instead.

    > > Oh really. Please tell me all about the superior email software that is built into this product. I'm anxious to hear all about it.

    > There are many reasons to avoid Microsoft software, and the bundling of
    > an e-mail application that is being used to flood networks with
    > Microsoft worms (http://lugod.org/microsoft/?filter=outlook) shouldn't
    > be a reason to use Microsoft Office 2003. Microsoft Office does not
    > support real standards, and is even incompatible with itself.

    I'm well aware of the standard spew of Microsoft bashers. The original poster mentioned Outlook as a specific reason for upgrading and stated the license was already in his possession. I asked you specifically to tell me about the wonderful email capabilities of Open Office and in typical Microsoft bashing behavior you avoided the specific question to spew the standard line. Forget it, I made my point. I'm done with you now.

    Spider, Jan 9, 2004
  8. >>>>>Is the upgrade to 2003 worthwhile? I hear the spam filtering is much better

    >>>Oh really. Please tell me all about the superior email software that is built into this product. I'm anxious to hear all about it.

    >>There are many reasons to avoid Microsoft software, and the bundling of
    >>an e-mail application that is being used to flood networks with
    >>Microsoft worms (http://lugod.org/microsoft/?filter=outlook) shouldn't
    >>be a reason to use Microsoft Office 2003. Microsoft Office does not
    >>support real standards, and is even incompatible with itself.

    > I'm well aware of the standard spew of Microsoft bashers. The original poster mentioned Outlook as a specific reason for upgrading and stated the license was already in his possession. I asked you specifically to tell me about the wonderful email capabilities of Open Office and in typical Microsoft bashing behavior you avoided the specific question to spew the standard line. Forget it, I made my point. I'm done with you now.

    The original poster asked about the more important reasons not to
    upgrade, and there are many reasons not to upgrade. OpenOffice.org is
    not an e-mail application, although it can work with other packages such
    as Mozilla.

    Alexander Rogge, Jan 9, 2004