    sick stuff we have been seeing recently.
    Apologies to those who use this group and are tired of seeing this sort of
    messge, but............

    Michael Kilpatrick, Oct 7, 2003

  2. Michael Kilpatrick

    Steve Young Guest

    > "Michael Kilpatrick" <mkilpatr*cutthis*@optusnet.com.au> wrote

    > I know this has been covered before, but it seems to be necessary to
    > do it again.

    Good idea, this bears repeating
    mayhaps roll the stuff together into a FAQ? (for frequent posting?)

    > 1. Never respond directly to the message. It encourages the offender
    > and creates a string that is hard to block.

    > 2. Select message, then "Message/Block Sender". This takes about 3
    > seconds and will hide all evidence of posts from that sender, provided
    > no-one has responded.

    This'll work for a minute. solong as *everyone* can restrain
    themselves and the artist runs short on new handles

    > 3. Report immediately to Copy the source
    > details of the offensive post into your email to Google
    > (Properties/Details/Message
    > Source - then Select All/Copy). Google does act against people who
    > post the sick stuff we have been seeing recently.

    > Apologies to those who use this group and are tired of seeing this
    > sort of messge, but............

    Me as well; apologies!
    sentiments of the majority? prolly so
    though you know a person or 2 would holler censoring :(

    (it won't be me)

    Steve Young

    PS quote from a troubled participant, sporting a broad brush:
    "Yes, indeed Sick people. Sad day for this NG. I will delete from my
    list. and not to visit again." tan boen hian" <>

    Steve Young, Oct 7, 2003

  3. Michael Kilpatrick

    Bryce Guest

    Why do you worry so much about it?

    Bryce, Oct 7, 2003
  4. Michael Kilpatrick

    Steve Young Guest

    > > "Michael Kilpatrick" <mkilpatr*cutthis*@optusnet.com.au> wrote
    [...]
    > > Google does act against people who post the sick stuff we have
    > > been seeing recently.
    > > Apologies to those who use this group and are tired of seeing this
    > >sort of messge, but............

    > "Bryce" <> wrote
    > Why do you worry so much about it?

    because he doesn't want to see it?
    possibly embarrassed by it?
    (just guessing)

    This fella had objections too:
    "Yes, indeed Sick people. Sad day for this NG. I will delete from my
    list. and not to visit again." tan boen hian" <>

    Is this freedom?
    does it advance the purpose of this newsgroup and our sport?

    Steve Young

    Steve Young, Oct 7, 2003
  5. "Michael Kilpatrick" <mkilpatr*cutthis*@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
    > I know this has been covered before, but it seems to be necessary to do it
    > again.
    > 1. Never respond directly to the message. It encourages the offender and
    > creates a string that is hard to block.
    > 2. Select message, then "Message/Block Sender". This takes about 3

    seconds
    > and will hide all evidence of posts from that sender, provided no-one has
    > responded.
    > 3. Report immediately to Copy the source details
    > of the offensive post into your email to Google

    (Properties/Details/Message
    > Source - then Select All/Copy). Google does act against people who post

    the
    > sick stuff we have been seeing recently.
    > Apologies to those who use this group and are tired of seeing this sort of
    > messge, but............

    For the recent offendor, who kept using new sender names, it was more
    effective to set up a rule blocking messages that contained any of the
    several offensive words in his limited vocablulary.

    B.t.w., one of the htings i learned in my U.S. Army service was htat
    those4-letter words commonly used by soldiers are actually meaningless in
    context. They can be used to catch peoples attention - after oyu have made
    oyurself known as soemone who doesn't use them.

    When each of our children first brought one of those words home, my wife
    calmly asked that child to explain what the word means. They couldn't, and
    stopped using the word, at least at home.

    Marvin Margoshes, Oct 7, 2003
  6. "Marvin Margoshes" <> wrote in message
    > When each of our children first brought one of those words home, my wife
    > calmly asked that child to explain what the word means. They couldn't, and
    > stopped using the word, at least at home.

    When my 2 year old granddaughter learned she could get attention by
    sprawling out on the hardwood floor I put a pillow under her head while she
    lay there, then I walked away. She hasn't done it since.
    Mark_

    mark_digital©, Oct 7, 2003
  7. Michael Kilpatrick

    Bryce Guest

    Reminds me of my 1.5/2 year old hitting her head on the table for attention
    back when. You give her a box of bandaids and walk off. only a week or so
    that lasted.

    Bryce, Oct 7, 2003
  8. Bryce

    I wouldn't say I worry about it, but I think it is obvious that some of the
    posts that have appeared on this group recently would be offensive to the
    great majority of people.
    I value what I have learned from newsgroups and as far as I'm concerned, the
    more people who participate constructively, the better.
    If some of the usual suspects want to engage in a flame war, I couldn't care
    less, but recently things have crossed the line and I think people will be
    deterred from participating when they are confronted with dozens of
    appalling headers.
    That's all. If offensive posts don't bother you, that's fine.

    Michael Kilpatrick, Oct 8, 2003
  9. Michael Kilpatrick

    Mark B. Guest

    "Steve Young" <> wrote in message
    <snip>
    > This'll work for a minute. solong as *everyone* can restrain
    > themselves and the artist runs short on new handles

    "artist"??

    Mark B., Oct 8, 2003
  10. Michael Kilpatrick

    Steve Young Guest

    > > "Steve Young" <> wrote
    > <snip>
    > > This'll work for a minute. solong as *everyone* can restrain
    > > themselves and the artist runs short on new handles

    > "Mark B." <> wrote
    > "artist"??

    ummm, well, I was trying not to get anyone PO'd
    next thing you know, "Mxsmanic" <> & others
    will be proclaiming their rights, anything less would be censorship.
    And you wouldn't want to mess with the originator, create any ill
    feelings and such

    what's a fella to do ?
    <shrug>

    (with his masterful implementation, it would be considered high art in
    some newsgroups;)

    Steve Young, Oct 8, 2003
  11. Michael Kilpatrick

    Vanessa BJ Guest

    "Steve Young" <> wrote in message news:<d4Sgb.168714$>...
    > > > "Steve Young" <> wrote

    > <snip>
    > > > This'll work for a minute. solong as *everyone* can restrain
    > > > themselves and the artist runs short on new handles

    > > "Mark B." <> wrote
    > > "artist"??

    > ummm, well, I was trying not to get anyone PO'd
    > next thing you know, "Mxsmanic" <> & others
    > will be proclaiming their rights, anything less would be censorship.
    > And you wouldn't want to mess with the originator, create any ill
    > feelings and such
    >
    > what's a fella to do ?
    > <shrug>
    >

    > (with his masterful implementation, it would be considered high art in
    > some newsgroups;)

    Steve, you encourage people to filter all Google users, but not all of
    us are trolls. The rest of us without usenet access get screwed. Many
    ISP's do not provide usenet service any more.

    Vanessa BJ, Oct 8, 2003
  12. Michael Kilpatrick

    Steve Young Guest

    > "Vanessa BJ" <> wrote
    > Steve, you encourage people to filter all Google users, but not all of
    > us are trolls. The rest of us without usenet access get screwed. Many
    > ISP's do not provide usenet service any more.

    Yes, fair enough, you're right about ISPs not providing Usenet service.
    I've never felt good about blocking Google. I much prefer temporarily
    deleting crossposted threads, if your reader can do it.

    There is another solution, by using a free Usenet server, which can be
    found by poking through google search. Here is one in Germany, that I
    have seen many people use. It has a fair number of groups, but one might
    come up a little short in the binaries groups. You must register for
    access, but the service is free and perdy fast moving. You can use a
    regular reader to read it. http://News.CIS.DFN.DE ,
    http://news.individual.net/ as it's a news service.

    Hope this helps,

    Steve Young