OFF TOPIC your opinion please

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Glenan, Mar 7, 2004.

  1. Glenan

    Glenan Guest

    need an opinion.

    Yesterday, I was outside working and when I opened the back door, there
    were, to my surprise, four people sitting at our dining room table. My
    wife, a friend of ours, and two friends of hers.

    I was really upset because I had asked this person to please call prior to
    coming, especially if she were bringing "strangers". Note that this is not
    the first time she has done this.

    I was filthy dirty, shirtless, and quite embarrassed. On my way back
    outside, I left a note on our guests car that read "if you can't call before
    you come, especially with strangers, don't come"

    Now the problem is that my wife is mad at me. She said the note was "nasty"
    and that friends don't need an invitation.

    I agree partially with this. I could live with our friend "dropping in",
    but quite often after work, I can be found running around the house in my
    underwear, and I think that if she were going to bring "strangers", she
    should call. I would even settle for an attempt to call as she could leave
    a message and we have Caller ID on the telephone. Our friend also has a
    total of three different phone numbers for us.

    Please post your opinion, should this lady call or am I out of line?

    Thanks,
    Glenn

    Glenan, Mar 7, 2004

  2. Glenan

    °Mike° Guest

    Your point is a valid point -- it's your house, and you
    should be able to expect, no demand, your privacy.
    However, your sneaky use of the note on the car
    was underhand, and your wife also has a right to
    be angry -- a direct, but polite, approach would
    have been better. Explain the situation to all parties,
    and if they are true friends, they will understand.
    If you go about it the wrong way, you WILL estrange
    both your wife and your friends. It's all about
    communication; sit down and talk.

    On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 18:15:15 GMT, in
    <TEJ2c.78834$ko6.418908@attbi_s02>
    Glenan scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Mar 7, 2004

  3. Glenan

    philo Guest

    "Glenan" <> wrote in message
    > need an opinion.
    >
    > Yesterday, I was outside working and when I opened the back door, there
    > were, to my surprise, four people sitting at our dining room table. My
    > wife, a friend of ours, and two friends of hers.
    >
    > I was really upset because I had asked this person to please call prior to
    > coming, especially if she were bringing "strangers". Note that this is

    not
    > the first time she has done this.
    >
    > I was filthy dirty, shirtless, and quite embarrassed. On my way back
    > outside, I left a note on our guests car that read "if you can't call

    before
    > you come, especially with strangers, don't come"
    >
    > Now the problem is that my wife is mad at me. She said the note was

    "nasty"
    > and that friends don't need an invitation.

    <snip>

    Although I suppose you are technically right...
    I do think you over-reacted. I guess if someone dropped over unannounced
    and saw you running around in your underware...
    if it bothered them...they'd probably have enough sense to *not* do that
    again...

    If you did have a gripe...you should have just said to the person:"
    "Hey! Please give me a warning first!"
    Rather than leaving a note.

    philo, Mar 7, 2004
  4. Glenan

    pcbutts1 Guest

    I think the problem is with your wife. She must know how you feel about it
    and she could have called you or gave you some kind a warring that you have
    company. That way you can use a back door, get cleaned up, and then greet
    them properly. Leaving the note was kind of nasty and embarrassing to your
    wife and you should apologize. Her friend is a lost cause but maybe with
    that note she will catch on.

    pcbutts1, Mar 7, 2004