    outside humidity may damage the lap top. What is your opinion? With
    thanks.

    , Aug 7, 2005

  2. [BnH] Guest

    How humid ?
    Back in Indonesia humidity level is around 70-80% and most laptop has
    problem after 1 year down the track.
    Some has horrible corrosion inside :)
    Check your laptop spec, and see what's the approved operating environment.

    =bob=

    [BnH], Aug 7, 2005

  3. wavelength Guest

    Re: Off topic - Will humidity damage laptop?

    I'd say that humidiy is a problem, especially in Louisiana, but the
    more immediate danger is heat.

    wavelength, Aug 7, 2005
  4. Robbie Guest

    On 6 Aug 2005 16:52:26 -0700, wrote:

    >Greetings! I was sitting outside at the back of the house and I was
    >going through the posts of this NG few minutes back in my laptop. The
    >state I live in USA is very hot and humid. Some one suggested that
    >outside humidity may damage the lap top. What is your opinion? With
    >thanks.

    It's not the humidity exactly you need to worry about... it's the dew point...

    As long as your machine is hot enough that moisture won't condense on (in) it,
    you will be ok.

    If you have the machine outside, and it will have air in it at the humidity
    level of the outside, when you bring it into an air-conditioned house or car, it
    will cool down, and the air inside it will now increase in relative humidity,
    and it could come to the dew point and mositure will condense inside it.

    This is true for your camera as well...

    Knowing this, you need to keep the machine warm when you bring it in, and place
    it in an air flow, and in a place of similar temp. as where it was outside,
    perhaps up on a shelf some where. DON'T just stick it in the cold basement!

    If you have a dehumidifier, place it near that, on the warm side.

    PS The absolute worst environment is sea air! Not only wet but salt!

    Robbie, Aug 7, 2005
  5. mike Guest

    wrote:
    > Greetings! I was sitting outside at the back of the house and I was
    > going through the posts of this NG few minutes back in my laptop. The
    > state I live in USA is very hot and humid. Some one suggested that
    > outside humidity may damage the lap top. What is your opinion? With
    > thanks.

    Here's a picture of the battery pack from a Thinkpad I bought from
    a guy who lived on a houseboat. Good thing I didn't pay much for it,
    cause the whole inside of the laptop was like this. There was also
    a CP4500 in the pile...sigh...
    http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/2293/batteryc5cu.jpg
    mike

    ..
    Wanted 12" LCD for Compaq Armada 7770MT.
    MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK

    mike, Aug 7, 2005
  6. Ron Hunter Guest

    wrote:
    > Greetings! I was sitting outside at the back of the house and I was
    > going through the posts of this NG few minutes back in my laptop. The
    > state I live in USA is very hot and humid. Some one suggested that
    > outside humidity may damage the lap top. What is your opinion? With
    > thanks.

    Laptops are pretty robust. Since users throughout south Texas (some of
    the hottest, and most humid in the US) use them, and I have never heard
    of a complaint, I seriously doubt there is a problem.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Aug 7, 2005
  7. Ron Hunter Guest

    mike wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> Greetings! I was sitting outside at the back of the house and I was
    >> going through the posts of this NG few minutes back in my laptop. The
    >> state I live in USA is very hot and humid. Some one suggested that
    >> outside humidity may damage the lap top. What is your opinion? With
    >> thanks.
    >>

    > Here's a picture of the battery pack from a Thinkpad I bought from
    > a guy who lived on a houseboat. Good thing I didn't pay much for it,
    > cause the whole inside of the laptop was like this. There was also
    > a CP4500 in the pile...sigh...
    > http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/2293/batteryc5cu.jpg
    > mike

    How many years was it stored under water?

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Aug 7, 2005
  8. Jer Guest

    wrote:
    > Greetings! I was sitting outside at the back of the house and I was
    > going through the posts of this NG few minutes back in my laptop. The
    > state I live in USA is very hot and humid. Some one suggested that
    > outside humidity may damage the lap top. What is your opinion? With
    > thanks.

    Anything constantly exposed to humid air will eventually succumb to
    mildew, mold, and rot. But if you bring your PC inside to give it a
    chance to dry out, it'll be okay. The problem is not getting the
    moisture out of it, because mold needs to moisture to grow - no
    moisture, no mold. A few years ago, a friend brought his laptop while
    camping with us in S. Costa Rica and in six months the inside looked
    like a badly tended garden, even had a few spiders inside when it went
    to a service shop in Limon. Mind you, those six months were in a rain
    forest tent, no A/C, super high humidity. The shop guy recommended he
    regularly place it on top of the little propane oven we had to bake the
    moisture out of it, leaving the lid open to avoid LCD damage. Having
    adopted this new and improved care tactic, he's still down there with
    the replacement dispatching sat messages.

    --
    jer
    email reply - I am not a 'ten'

    Jer, Aug 7, 2005
  9. mike wrote:
    > Here's a picture of the battery pack from a Thinkpad I bought from
    > a guy who lived on a houseboat. Good thing I didn't pay much for it,
    > cause the whole inside of the laptop was like this. There was also
    > a CP4500 in the pile...sigh...

    Did it work? Just curious?

    Newsgroup User, Aug 7, 2005
  10. mike Guest

    Newsgroup User wrote:
    > mike wrote:
    >
    >> Here's a picture of the battery pack from a Thinkpad I bought from
    >> a guy who lived on a houseboat. Good thing I didn't pay much for it,
    >> cause the whole inside of the laptop was like this. There was also
    >> a CP4500 in the pile...sigh...

    > Did it work? Just curious?

    I didn't turn on the laptop until after I'd cleaned it up. Nope, didn't
    work. I fixed a half-dozen opens and shorts before I gave it up as
    hopeless. Shoulda seen the expression on my face when I opened the
    CDRW drive for the first time. Big pile of white stuff fell out.
    I was REALLY disappointed...

    Here's the inside of the CP4500.
    http://img283.imageshack.us/img283/2341/45009iw.jpg
    I'm more optimistic about this 'cause it's not so far gone.
    There's white powder inside the zoom lens, so I'm looking for
    disassembly instructions before I tackle that one. I need a good
    winter project...
    mike

    ..

    mike, Aug 7, 2005
  11. Shawn Hirn Guest

    In article <>,
    wrote:

    > Greetings! I was sitting outside at the back of the house and I was
    > going through the posts of this NG few minutes back in my laptop. The
    > state I live in USA is very hot and humid. Some one suggested that
    > outside humidity may damage the lap top. What is your opinion? With
    > thanks.

    Check the manual that came with your laptop. It should have a
    recommended humidity rating in it.

    Shawn Hirn, Aug 9, 2005