  1. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Is it still 800*600 or is it now 1024*768 ?

    Jim, Jul 14, 2006

  2. Jim

    Arne Guest

    Arne, Jul 14, 2006

  3. Jim

    Arne Guest

    Arne, Jul 14, 2006
  4. Mozilla Champion (Dan), Jul 14, 2006
  5. Mozilla Champion (Dan), Jul 14, 2006
  6. On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 19:53:47 +1200, Jim <> wrote:

    > Is it still 800*600 or is it now 1024*768 ?

    I think most people are now using 1024x768 or even 1152x864. I personally
    use 800x600, as low vision prevents me from going any higher. I'm not
    planning to go out and buy a newer bigger monitor so I can accommodate some
    badly designed pages I've seen. If I can't read a page at 800x600 on a
    19-inch screen with large fonts selected in my display settings, then I
    simply browse elsewhere. :)

    What would you use this bit of information for? If you are asking which
    size so that you can know which to design a page for, that is probably not
    a good idea. It shouldn't matter which resolution people are using, as most
    of them have good reasons for their choice. Web content should be
    independent of the resolution on which it will be displayed. If a page is
    designed to only work well at a certain resolution, then it is likely to
    annoy anyone who isn't using that resolution. It's safer to just design
    pages that work well for anyone. People could be viewing pages in any
    resolution from 512x384 to 2048x1536 and beyond. All of them should be able
    to read and use the pages equally well. People could even be viewing on a
    cell phone screen. A well-designed page will self adjust to the width of
    the display for anyone who views it.

    FoxWolfie Galen, Jul 14, 2006

    FoxWolfie Galen, Jul 14, 2006
  8. Jim

    gwtc Guest

    FoxWolfie Galen wrote:
    > On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 19:53:47 +1200, Jim <> wrote:
    >

    >>Is it still 800*600 or is it now 1024*768 ?

    > I think most people are now using 1024x768 or even 1152x864. I personally
    > use 800x600,

    and I'm still using 640x480 -- easier on the eyes than 1280x1024

    --
    So, You Think You Know Everything?

    Did you know that no word in the English language rhymes with month,
    orange, silver, or purple.

    gwtc, Jul 14, 2006
  9. Jim

    gwtc Guest

    gwtc, Jul 14, 2006
  10. Jim

    Miller Guest

    *gwtc* wrote on 14.07.06 18:21:
    > FoxWolfie Galen wrote:
    >> On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 19:53:47 +1200, Jim <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Is it still 800*600 or is it now 1024*768 ?

    >> I think most people are now using 1024x768 or even 1152x864. I personally
    >> use 800x600,

    > and I'm still using 640x480 -- easier on the eyes than 1280x1024

    Depends on the eyes. ;-)

    Miller, Jul 14, 2006
  11. Jim

    Miller Guest

    Miller, Jul 14, 2006
  12. Jim

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 19:53:47 +1200, in message <e97iha$h62$>,
    Jim wrote:

    > Is it still 800*600 or is it now 1024*768 ?

    I design my web pages to fit to the visitor's screen resolution.

    Ralph Fox, Jul 15, 2006
  13. Jim

    Ralph Fox, Jul 15, 2006
  14. Jim

    Jim Guest

    > What would you use this bit of information for? If you are asking which
    > size so that you can know which to design a page for, that is probably not
    > a good idea. It shouldn't matter which resolution people are using, as most
    > of them have good reasons for their choice. Web content should be
    > independent of the resolution on which it will be displayed. If a page is
    > designed to only work well at a certain resolution, then it is likely to
    > annoy anyone who isn't using that resolution. It's safer to just design
    > pages that work well for anyone. People could be viewing pages in any
    > resolution from 512x384 to 2048x1536 and beyond. All of them should be able
    > to read and use the pages equally well. People could even be viewing on a
    > cell phone screen. A well-designed page will self adjust to the width of
    > the display for anyone who views it.

    Exactly.

    Asked to satisfy my own curiosity. I'm using 800*600, just
    wondered if this was still standard.

    Jim, Jul 15, 2006
  15. Jim

    Jim Guest