    paper, a non-metal material, be charged? If so, does it
    mean if we want, we can charge anything, a piece of wood, an
    egg, an apple, a porcelain cup?
    dandelion, Mar 30, 2006

  2. dandelion

    JohnO Guest

    dandelion wrote:
    > It's said the transfer corona in a laser printer positively
    > charges the paper. The paper then attracts the negatively
    > charged toner particles to itself. How can a piece of
    > paper, a non-metal material, be charged? If so, does it
    > mean if we want, we can charge anything, a piece of wood, an
    > egg, an apple, a porcelain cup?

    Yeah, sort of.

    Have you ever done that experiment where you tear a piece of paper into
    little tiny pieces, then run a plastec comb through your hair, and the
    comb will pick up some of the paper?

    Some materials hold charges better than others, and paper is good
    enough at the high charges used by laser printers. Some, like porcelain
    and the common insulators used around electrical things, don't hold
    charges well, if at all. It has to do with the number of free electrons
    in the material, and some other stuff too.

    -John O
    JohnO, Mar 30, 2006

  3. On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 14:12:33 -0500, dandelion <>
    wrote:

    >It's said the transfer corona in a laser printer positively
    >charges the paper. The paper then attracts the negatively
    >charged toner particles to itself. How can a piece of
    >paper, a non-metal material, be charged? If so, does it
    >mean if we want, we can charge anything, a piece of wood, an
    >egg, an apple, a porcelain cup?

    Rub an inflated balloon on a sweater you are wearing and it will stick
    to a wall for awhile.

    Tom
    Tom MacIntyre, Mar 30, 2006
  4. dandelion

    J. Clarke Guest

    dandelion wrote:

    > It's said the transfer corona in a laser printer positively
    > charges the paper. The paper then attracts the negatively
    > charged toner particles to itself. How can a piece of
    > paper, a non-metal material, be charged? If so, does it
    > mean if we want, we can charge anything, a piece of wood, an
    > egg, an apple, a porcelain cup?

    Pet a cat on a cold day. That crackling sound is high voltage.

    Anything can be given a static charge. If it's a conductor the charge
    rapidly equalizes across the surface and bleeds off to the first ground
    encountered. If it's a nonconductor then the charge stays put for a while.
    Paper is a nonconductor so it will hold a charge for a while.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate
    J. Clarke, Mar 30, 2006
  5. dandelion

    smackedass Guest

    Better yet, since laser printers have been around for, how many years now?
    just take their word for it. If you want to know how or why it's true, I'm
    sure you can Google around for the info.

    smackedass
    smackedass, Mar 30, 2006
  6. dandelion

    SBFan2000 Guest

    Actually both the drum and the paper are negatively charged. Its just that
    the paper is at a higher negative charge then the drum, thus the toner is
    attracted. In some printers and most copiers there is also a separation
    corona that attracts the paper to itself so that the paper does not wrap
    around the drum. P.S. The Drum, or OPC, is an insulator in the dark and a
    conductor in the light!

    Glenn

    SBFan2000, Mar 31, 2006
  7. dandelion

    Glenn Guest

    eVER WALK ACROSS A CARPET AND REACH OUT TO A DOORKNOB AND GET ZAPPED?
    tHAT'S ABOUT 700 VOLTS. (it takes less 50 volts to zap CMOS) the Carpet
    isn't metal and the door usually isn't metal. Remember in high school
    science the hard rubber wand and the furry cat skin???

    Glenn, Apr 1, 2006
  8. On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 00:10:25 GMT, Glenn <> wrote:

    >eVER WALK ACROSS A CARPET AND REACH OUT TO A DOORKNOB AND GET ZAPPED?
    >tHAT'S ABOUT 700 VOLTS.

    No...more like 3500+ before it is felt by the average person.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Apr 1, 2006